'A Tale of Four Gamers'

Started by Steve J, 28 August 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Pre-occupied with filling in the often overlooked elements of my Kursk forces - mortar platoons, HMG platoons, HQ vehicles etc. Discovered the hard way on Sunday that Panzer IIIs can't deal with KV1s! :'(  So, 8.8cm FlaK 36s high on the shopping list for next month.  :) 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Hertsblue

Sadly on the other side of the battlefield dealing with a rampaging mob of T34s.  :( Even they're not certain to knock out the KVs.  :(

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

Somewhere in the pile of as yet still "packed for moving" boxes (I've been here 5 years now there really is no excuse) there are a number of T34s, a couple of Katyushas and a pair of 88s that I must dig out in time.

In the meantime I've been unearthing other caches of 10mm WW2 and find that I now have seven Pak40s - 1 painted, 3 assembled and ready for undercoat and 3 awaiting assembly.

Given my regular WW2 opponent's penchant for armour heavy Soviet forces I understand the desire for the 88s but may have to rely on volume of fire rather than weight of shot for the immediate future :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

nikharwood

Thinking about the 28mm terrain I need / want for Chain of Command: http://nikharwood.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/nomandy-town-and-country-planning.html

And working on more 10mm fantasy armies (planning), planning my 10mm Napoleonic painting (and wondering whether it makes any sense whatsoever to start those before the house-move), and thinking about (dreading) packing up my toys for the move...

Techno

Quote from: nikharwood on 20 August 2013, 09:29:47 PM
and thinking about (dreading) packing up my toys for the move...

With your collection Nik.....That must seem VERY daunting.....Best of luck with that !!
Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nothing for the last six days, relaxing in deepest midWales.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

QuoteGiven my regular WW2 opponent's penchant for armour heavy Soviet forces I understand the desire for the 88s but may have to rely on volume of fire rather than weight of shot for the immediate future

Just take lots of minefields :D.

Hertsblue

Minefields are a two-edged sword. Dummy minefields, however, play alll sorts of mind-games with wargamers I find.  :d

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

How to annoy a power gamer, "What have you got?"
Wait for usual list of tiggers, super tiggers, almighty tiggers and unbreakable/unkillable infantry, eventually, they may enquire about your force once they've spent twenty minutes explaining their special rules, inability to lose, unlimited range and massive antitank capacity (do yo u think they are compensating for something)...
Tell them they're deployed in 6'x4' of mixed ap/at mines, apart from anything in contact with that tree there!
Sit back and wait for the sulk...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Quote from: mad lemmey on 23 August 2013, 08:09:38 AM
How to annoy a power gamer, "What have you got?"
Wait for usual list of tiggers, super tiggers, almighty tiggers and unbreakable/unkillable infantry, eventually, they may enquire about your force once they've spent twenty minutes explaining their special rules, inability to lose, unlimited range and massive antitank capacity (do yo u think they are compensating for something)...
Tell them they're deployed in 6'x4' of mixed ap/at mines, apart from anything in contact with that tree there!
Sit back and wait for the sulk...

;D ;D ;D :d :d :d

www.rulesdepot.net

O Dinas Powys

Just noticed it's this thread's birthday tomorrow  :D

Where did the time go  :o

Anyway, managed a couple of painting session over the weekend and think that almost every Tusk figure got a wash, over- or dry-brush! Pictures to follow ASAP... ;)

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

O Dinas Powys

Happy Birthday "A Tale of Four Gamers"  :D

Time for a party  <:-P <:-P <:-P

In the last year I have (mostly) painted a tribe of gnomes; (almost) painted enough megafauna for small Pleistocene ecosystems; and painted, based and entered into the 2012 Competition a small selection of fungies. Obviously, countless other projects have been considered, some have added to the lead hillock, fewer still have actually been started...  :'(

Doesn't read like much, but with the small amount of painting time I've managed to scrounge from real life I feel I've achieved and this thread has been a great help with that.

Cheers guys and here's to a productive second year  8->

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Happy one year!
Yay!  <:-P <:-P <:-P

I have really enjoyed this thread, seeing what everyone else is up to and what hints I can pick up.
I celebrated by assembling my missing 1870 Bavarian Jagers and two bases of French Guard Horse artillery.
As well as inking the sand on some 15 mm rebased Americans.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 August 2012, 10:59:32 PM
I'm in!
Plan for the next few months, in order:
Before Colours base up 50 palm trees fom my Flames tables (see you all there, Ill be the one in a Fez) done and fifty more added
10mm Finish 25th (Hessian) Division of XI Corps Franco-Prussian War. done
15mm 1806 Prussians - convert 6 units of infantry from POW:N basing to FOG:N basing (ie add about 20 figures to each unit) oops!
10mm Guards Voltigeur Division 1870 done
10mm Guards Grenadier Division 1870 done
10mm Falklands (when helmetted and capped chaps arrive) & Goblins, side projects. ongoing
10mm The other half of IX Corps? nope, maybe do them soon?
Also painted a division of 8th Prussian Corps and 4th Cavalry Division, plus a Division of French 1st Corps. A dragon, some fantasy knights, archers and bills. Added more Goblins to my fantasy kit too. Rebased two 15mm Vietnam armies and added a lot to them. Also constructed three tables worth of Vietnam terrain. Also added light horse, auxilia and Saxon mercenaries to my Later Roman project.
15mm Waterloo Anglo-Allied to change from POW:N to FOG:N yeah, right, abandoned that one!

So, next?