'A Tale of Four Gamers'

Started by Steve J, 28 August 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Dinas Powys

Late to the show  :-[  but I'm in  :D 

This month I have been working on a fantasy "Fungus Forest".

Given that I've managed roughly zero painting or modeling for the past 12 months, due to the creep of "real life", this thread has been a great incentiviser, so thanks very much Steve  :-bd

Pictures WILL appear in my sadly neglected painting diary whenever I get my camera and computer linked up...

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I got some painting done!  :D
My three month old daughter went to sleep before 9pm last night, so I did the trouser, hem and cuff piping on my 1870 25th Hessian division, three hours for 200+ figures. Now need to do shoulder boards and collars.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 13 September 2012, 06:50:36 AM
I got some painting done!  :D
My three month old daughter went to sleep before 9pm last night, so I did the trouser, hem and cuff piping on my 1870 25th Hessian division, three hours for 200+ figures. Now need to do shoulder boards and collars.
Your eyes are in better shape than mine! :(
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Glad it's inspired you as it were Meirion :). That was the aim after all. At least I have achieved some of my aims for September by getting everything done for Colours as well as writing up the AAR, which can be found below:

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Now that I've had a bit of a break, on with the 2mm ECW madness. Unfortunately not all of my friends share my interest in this scale as can be seen by one such friends comic comment:

"Ah yes, a great day's wargaming and a very nice show, but now tinged with desperate sadness as we learn that Steve has been sucked into the evil world of 2mm wargaming. Evidently the supreme effort of developing yesterday's scenario has broken the poor man's mind.

Our thoughts are with Steve's family at this tragic time."

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 13 September 2012, 06:54:19 AM
Your eyes are in better shape than mine! :(

I've said it many times before....But seriously....If your eyes are starting to struggle with close up work, think about investing in an Optivisor.
Couldn't work (or paint) without mine !
(And no....I'm not on any sort of commission from the manufacturers ! ;))
Cheers - Phil.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 13 September 2012, 08:37:04 AM
I've said it many times before....But seriously....If your eyes are starting to struggle with close up work, think about investing in an Optivisor.
Couldn't work (or paint) without mine !
(And no....I'm not on any sort of commission from the manufacturers ! ;))
Cheers - Phil.
I'll consider it. But I'm nervous that it might just expose my shortcomings as a painter to me, forcing me to repaint thousands of figures. (Reaches with unsteady hand for bottle of calming fluid)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Luddite

Quote from: Luddite on 28 August 2012, 10:48:08 PM
Are you doing ALL that this month Nik??!!?  :o

This is an interesting idea as a motivating force i suppose.  I'd like to see pictures though.

Last mongth i finished off my Dystopian Wars Japanese fleet.

My immediate project for this month in terms of painting at least is to get my 15mm Old Glory SYW Russian force (for the marvellous Maurice rules) done. 

I'm two packs short in the delivery which won't be made good for at least three weeks apparently, according to the chaps at Timecast, but i do have enough to be getting on with once the Minibits bases turn up.

If I can get the bulk of that done by the end of September i'll be happy and that's my 'tale of 4 gamers' goal.

I terms of upcoming projects, i've got a few options for the next thing once the SYW stuff is done, most of which are outstanding projects to be finished   X_X; so future 'tale of 4 gamers' options might include:

1.  Finish the last bits and bobs of my 28mm A Very British Civil War Communists.
2.  Finish the 28mm WotR (mostly Perry's) army - i hate the Perry plastics
3.  Finish the 15mm HYW English
4.  Finish my Pendraken 10mm FPW French

However, i'm very tempted by a couple of possible new projects, both Pendrake 10mm - Weird World War I or II, or a bunch more Hordes of the Things fantasy armies.  Having just watched Outpost II: Black Sun, and the other night watching Iron Skies a WWWII thing is looking probable.   :D

OK, update.

We really need to get a bit more order to this threat i think, but anyway...

Seven Years War continues.  I've finished two infantry units.

However, as mooted, i've taken the plunge and gone for Wierd World War I.  Still a lot to purchase, but i've finished the initial German infantry and cavalry.

I'll get some pictures posted up soon.

So my '4 gamer' schedule is now swtching between these two projects for the next month.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Steve J

I managed to finish 9 cavalry bases this evening, which I'm pretty happy with. The biggest problem is actually finding the time to sit down and paint after all the normal family stuff has been sorted out in the evening. Just the artillery to go plus a bit more variety on the flags and then a few scenic items to do and then I'm done ready for a game :).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Packs and rifle stocks base coated and ink washed last night. Does not sound much but i only had an hour and a half for 200+ figures...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Can't wait to see all these Hessians - shoulder boards for all love!   Cuff piping!  Wow - make sure you get the right number of Red Stripes on the Lions for those flags!

Cheers,

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Nosher

Quote from: Nosher on 10 September 2012, 03:36:14 PM
Made my decision...

In September to December I am aiming to complete three projects which I'll have all on the go at once - variety being the spice of life and all that :D

1.  Late War Krauts for Bolt Action in 28mm. I have promised myself that I will finish the 20 figures I currently own BEFORE buying any reinforcements...

2.  Make a start on my Polish/Lithuanian Commonwealth FoG (R) collection in 10mm. Hopefully this will be my Pendraken Painting Competition entry in 2013 ;)

3.  Wait for a big thud on the doormat before kicking off with some Arthurian Brits in 10mm for 'Dvx Brittanarivm'

Had the satisfaction of a hefty THUD hitting the doormat today which was my Arthurian Brits arriving along with two SCW starters for a World Aflame rule sets. :)

Got a buckshee week off next week so hoping to make a dent in each of the above projects having already made a start on my Polich/Lithuanians ;) ;)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: mollinary on 14 September 2012, 07:11:36 AM
Can't wait to see all these Hessians - shoulder boards for all love!   Cuff piping!  Wow - make sure you get the right number of Red Stripes on the Lions for those flags!

Cheers,

Mollinary

Hmm... about that, missing one standard, must research it asap!

O Dinas Powys

14 September 2012, 10:29:03 PM #42 Last Edit: 14 September 2012, 10:31:15 PM by O Dinas Powys
First pictures up, more to follow: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,3872.msg57917.html#msg57917

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Boots, ammo pouches, water bottles, bayonet sheaths, pucklehaub all painted black tonight, night all...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Benn up an hour, no need to be; guess I'll paint artillery  <:-P :-bd