'A Tale of Four Gamers'

Started by Steve J, 28 August 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Think I've found the answer to the problem. With the best will in the world, one day you may want to rebase. My solution is PVA on MDF. It secures the little blighters well enough for gaming purposes but they can still be prised off with relatively little effort and (in my case) no nasty cuts. The other bonus is that my basing technique has improved over time, so the new bases always look better. A complete rebase also gives a uniform standard to the bases.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Seconded - even if the PVA and MDF are inseparably bonded, you can "dig out" the top most sliver of MDF under the base and you're good! I've never had an issue with them staying stuck, either - it's a good bond :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

QuoteIf I ever misplace -I never lose it completely- my painting mojo I will make something or research something or write something until I find it again. As long as it's wargame related I keep my interest going. The only problem is that if it goes half way through a project I usually get enthused about something completely different!

Completely agree Subedai.

Subedai

I don't rebase...ever. If a set of rules comes out that I like and can adapt to my basing system, or bases aren't an issue, then fine. I refuse to kowtow to the rule writers who say that the only way to play their rules is to have x figures on y sized bases. I was lucky, I started my basing system about 15 years ago and haven't changed it since. All I have to do is repaint the bases on some of my older figures but that's it. It is advantageous that I usually collect both sides of any period I am doing so everything looks the same anyway.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Wood elf mages and command finished.

Waiting to hear if Leon wants me to add a second, different wossname onto the dooh-dah.
Archers already finished.

Now on to the wood elf riders, which is why I've been covered in white metal dust for most of the last two days.  X_X.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Knowing the old sculpts, with their long necked flying horses, I can understand the horror mate! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Painted two Insurgent figures for some 28mm skirmish gaming set in a fictional African country. They are from Empress Miniatures and the sculpting is superb. Only 18 more to go...

Techno

Continued with the Wood Elf Riders !

They're not too far away now.....Though they have been 'piggies' to convert.....Bits of the original models kept getting in the way, even using my home-made mini dental tools.
Lots of 'Industrial Language' at Techno Towers today.  >:( >:( ;)

Cheers - Mr Potty-Mouth

FierceKitty

Work has resumed on the Skythian reinforcements. New Finns for the Swedes and a handful of Scotch horse to follow soon.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 August 2015, 06:06:15 PM
New fins for the Swedes.

Didn't know Swedes were aquatic... :D

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 August 2015, 08:13:55 AM
Didn't know Swedes were erotic... :D

IanS

I thought everyone knew that!

Leman

Rebasing  done; progress made with Belgians.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 August 2015, 06:06:15 PM
Work has resumed on the Skythian reinforcements. New Finns for the Swedes and a handful of Scotch horse to follow soon.

Scots horse surely .... unless they are The Famous Grouse Hussars, The Johnny Walker Cuirassiers or similar. :-)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

wimp cats have very SMALL brains...

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 29 August 2015, 12:29:37 PM
Scots horse surely .... unless they are The Famous Grouse Hussars, The Johnny Walker Cuirassiers or similar. :-)

The word was good enough for Dr Johnson, and it's good enough for me (to be provocative with).