'A Tale of Four Gamers'

Started by Steve J, 28 August 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

My word, the ancient Egyptians are approaching battle-readiness. Come on, Newlines, let's have the remaining Assyrians!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

It never ceases to amaze me how many wargamers insist on chasing the unfinished ranges, knowing full well that figure production is slow and cyclical and likely to take months or years, rather than days. Why not pick an era for which the figures already exist? Goodness knows there are enough periods in existence to choose from. Yes, some have significant holes in them, but there are usually workarounds or substitutions available. Beats hanging on indefinitely.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Some of us prefer to be guided by our interests, not by what we're offered. I could buy a pack of bicycles and play patience, but I happen to have a taste for gaming certain eras of historical combat. When I was younger I did lurch into buying what was on offer without consulting my interests; quite a few armies ended up being sold without ever seeing a second game!

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 05 October 2014, 11:20:37 AM
Some of us prefer to be guided by our interests ...

Something we share then FK.

Sadly my tastes are so catholic and my interests change so rapidly that, even restricting myself to armies I can get all the required figures for (by purchase or conversion) I have a house full of unpainted armies :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Hertsblue

Quote from: FierceKitty on 05 October 2014, 11:20:37 AM
I could buy a pack of bicycles and play patience...

That I should like to see!

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 05 October 2014, 11:26:46 AM
Something we share then FK.

Sadly my tastes are so catholic and my interests change so rapidly that, even restricting myself to armies I can get all the required figures for (by purchase or conversion) I have a house full of unpainted armies :(

Reminds me of my music-buying. Having bought the Brilliant Classics complete J. S. Bach, I will listen to the whole set. No hardship on the whole - couldn't be further from one - but not all the cantatas are up to the standard of the b-minor mass....

Leman

I tried playing snap with bicycles but found them very heavy to lift and turn and an absolute nightmare to shuffle.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: FierceKitty on 05 October 2014, 11:42:33 AM
Reminds me of my music-buying. Having bought the Brilliant Classics complete J. S. Bach, I will listen to the whole set. No hardship on the whole - couldn't be further from one - but not all the cantatas are up to the standard of the b-minor mass....

That's hard core! All JS Bach? Good luck with that. Send us a review in about 2027!

I likes me Bach, but I'm more of a Purcell man, and I have s strong leaning to yer Vivaldi. Cranked out a good tune did Viv.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: fsn on 05 October 2014, 04:21:13 PM

I likes me Bach, but I'm more of a Purcell man, and I have s strong leaning to yer Vivaldi. Cranked out a good tune did Viv.

Is that the Viv who owns one of them there cut price supermarkets?    Yes, it comes back to me now -  Lidl!  :D  :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

;D

And back in topic, sorting if armies and weekend purchases, also, much assembling of standard. Meanwhile, I put together and based an army pack if sci-fi humans.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Quote from: FierceKitty on 05 October 2014, 11:42:33 AM

Ah, Bach, bach. There's lovely.  ;)

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A day of sand/pva, milliputt and undercoating.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Camo pattern on Sci-Fi marines.
I've got at least five colours, stopped tonight after three as in going bozz-eyed!
Got to say, while the old sculpts are full of character, but lack the detail and crispness of the new sculpts. Good work Techno. 8)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Done apart from basing. Once I was past the cammo stage they were a lot of fun.
Even put red points on pulse rifles ammo counters.  :-[

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 October 2014, 01:52:22 AM
Done apart from basing. Once I was past the cammo stage they were a lot of fun.
Even put red points on pulse rifles ammo counters.  :-[

Shouldn't they be green or are your Space Marines about to have a very bad day... :-\ ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!