'A Tale of Four Gamers'

Started by Steve J, 28 August 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

get2grips

Quote from: nikharwood on 18 February 2014, 10:45:12 PM
Warmaster - using the lists here (which is what I use for my Wood Elves & Gobbos too  8))

http://www.darkagepress.com/files/Warmaster_Trial_Armies_2009.pdf

Woo hoo ;)

Cheers mate...will peruse these later :)

nikharwood

You're welcome - some great lists in there...

If you go back to the source page there, all the good WM stuff is linked  8)

Womble67

Continuing on with my Anglo zulu war project.

take care

andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

get2grips

Quote from: nikharwood on 18 February 2014, 10:45:12 PM
Warmaster - using the lists here (which is what I use for my Wood Elves & Gobbos too  8))

http://www.darkagepress.com/files/Warmaster_Trial_Armies_2009.pdf

Some really nice ideas here 8)

Don't you find though Nik (and I've been guilty of this myself), in an attempt to make new lists "different"; they end up being "bloated" by additional rules? :-\

Ithoriel

I wrote the Albion list and yes, avoiding a raft of whizzy new rules is one of the most important parts of drafting a Warmaster army list, right after not introducing too many troop types.

I started with the idea that the Albion army should be predominantly 5+ saves representing a mix of actual armour and magical tattoos.

I wanted an army somewhere between a Chaos army and an Undead one.

I wanted Giants, Druids and Fen Beasts to tie in with the established background, though Fimir were quietly vetoed :(

Which reminds me - any word on the Balori/ Fimm / Trevors??

I think I came up with a decent army list, though others may not agree. Less is definitely more in Warmaster army lists!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

get2grips

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 February 2014, 11:10:36 PM

I think I came up with a decent army list, though others may not agree. Less is definitely more in Warmaster army lists!

Couldn't agree more ;)

Nice list and only 5 special rules; of those, they are all (apart from Boggy) from the main rule set.

My kind of list Mike :-bd

Fenton

I always fancied a Dogs of War army for Warmaster
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

nikharwood

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 February 2014, 11:10:36 PM
Less is definitely more in Warmaster army lists!

Quote from: get2grips on 20 February 2014, 11:17:42 PM
Couldn't agree more ;)

Nice list and only 5 special rules; of those, they are all (apart from Boggy) from the main rule set.

Absolutely agree  :) In a streamlined and elegant ruleset, you don't want anything superfluous, methinks.

Quote from: Fenton on 20 February 2014, 11:19:52 PM

Too right...it's been on my to-do list for ever...

get2grips

Quote from: Fenton on 20 February 2014, 11:19:52 PM

I'm all over it: going to use some of the 9 billion minis I bought in the sale.

Just LOVE the idea of pikemen in Warmaster: might level up the playing field against cavalry Steve ;)

Ithoriel

Quote from: get2grips on 21 February 2014, 08:20:42 AM
I'm all over it: going to use some of the 9 billion minis I bought in the sale.

Just LOVE the idea of pikemen in Warmaster: might level up the playing field against cavalry Steve ;)

Except that Warmaster is fantasy, it's source texts are Tolkein, Martin, Feist and the like not Arrian, Comnena or Xenophon. I've yet to find a fantasy author who really understands the difference between a spear and a pike* so (IMHO of course) WM Pikemen should be 3/3/6+ infantry just like halberdiers :)

*Half of them seem hard pushed to distinguish between a spear and a clothes pole  =)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

GordonY

Yep and all cavalry behaves just like the mob Gandalf led at the finish of the Helm's Deep bitty. Susans and Susans of pike armed Orcs and a few hundred cavalry sweep them off the field. Of course that happened historically young man, havent you read your Tolkien???

Ithoriel

Quote from: GordonY on 21 February 2014, 03:38:20 PM
Yep and all cavalry behaves just like the mob Gandalf led at the finish of the Helm's Deep bitty. Susans and Susans of pike armed Orcs and a few hundred cavalry sweep them off the field. Of course that happened historically young man, havent you read your Tolkien???

To be fair, a few hundred cavalry lead by Tolkein's equivalent of an Archangel!

I like the dominance of cavalry in WM, fits the background. WMA is a better historical recreation but never seemed quite as exciting to me.

get2grips

At the risk of getting butchered; I don't think WM cavalry is as strong as everyone suggests...

IF

you don't insist on playing "tournament" style games.  Use a little more terrain and infantry become more important.