'A Tale of Four Gamers'

Started by Steve J, 28 August 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

I have been using the e cig thing for about 3 years now...working well though I have had the odd relapsed
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

GordonY

Yep doing the E-ciggie thing, I can heartily recommend the Capachino (however you spell it) flavour, I must be smoking 40 cups a day just now. Still feel like a fag though, I think I might have to up the nicotine content to 18mg and see if that helps.

Fenton

I use the 24 mg one tobacco flavour. Even after 3 years  that first hit with the e cig is just about the same a real one  so if I get past that I am ok  for the rest of the day
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

I gave up about twenty years ago by using the nicotine chewing gum.
E-ciggies weren't about in those days.

I really commend you all for your efforts....STICK WITH IT !!
It's truly fekking hard to start with....But you'll be SO pleased if you persevere.

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Each cigarette costs approximately 40p. Assume one smokes 10 per day then:

1 day of not smoking buys you a 30 pack of Pendraken Roman Infantry
3 days would buy you a Pendraken trireme

You could buy a Pendraken WWII Infantry pack with a morning's abstinence,
and buy a supporting tank in the afternoon.

Giving up for a year could buy you 10,950 Dark Age infantry - i.e. all of Harold's army at Hastings, plus half of William's in 1:1 Pendraken goodliness.
Either that of 621 Shermans, i.e. about 4 brigades's worth in 1:1

(I find that nowadays my standard unit of cost comparison is the Pendraken Sherman Firefly tank - BR33. I don't smoke, but it helps when faced with chocolate.)

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GordonY

10 FSN????

try about 60 rollies, ok I'm getting the baccie tax free, but its still about £25 a week

against that, my new e-cig habit is running about £5 a week, and its better for me (ok not better but less harmful)

so its win win, more money to buy even more stuff that I cant find time to paint

my old desk might even collapse under the increased weight.

Techno

Mrs T and I used to get through 100 Silk Cut a day between us ....60/40.... (Yeah..... OK we were wimps)......what would that be nowadays....£30 +.
Couldn't remotely afford that now.
I'll certainly keep encouraging you Gordon !
Cheers - Phil.

get2grips

I was a 30 a day man: just gave up one day when I ran out.  Had the odd relapse but been clean for about 15 years.

Feel considerably healthier; stay with it guys :)

Techno

I gave up the first time when I realized how much it was costing me.....and I was drooling over camera equipment, which I couldn't afford....
It was a case of "I'm not wasting money on ciggies anymore."
After 9 months I relapsed.....But gave up again around '93...and haven't touched one since.
What I find is.... If I go past someone smoking in the street.....nine times out of ten, I think....."Ughhh !......that smells disgusting"....
The other time......."Hmmmm....That smells LOVELY !"......So it never truly leaves you !  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Be warned on e-cigarettes as they contain an awful lot of sh*t, possibly as bad or worse than cigarettes, hence the EU bringing in regulations to make them conform to certain standards. We have done tests at work on all the major devices and they are shockingly bad in terms of quality of manufacture, reliability and consistency of dose. By next year they should all be up to a safe standard fingers crossed.

GordonY

18 January 2014, 03:56:56 PM #580 Last Edit: 18 January 2014, 03:59:39 PM by GordonY
and hence after the regulation will come the taxation, which is what all these studies are about, HM Gov does not want to lose that lovely £9Bn a year in revenue.

and 100 Silk cut will run you about £43 these days  Phil :o :o :o

Steve J

Quoteand hence after the regulation will come the taxation, which is what all these studies are about, HM Gov does not want to lose that lovely £9Bn a year in revenue.

I believe it is the EU that have put this legislation in place, not the UK. Said legislation is to govern the actual product as it will be classed as a "medical device", thereby imposing very tight constraints on it in terms of manufacture, child safety etc. As an example the current devices are incredibly easy to open (no CR features) and the nicotine contained therein is enough to prove fatal to a small child if ingested.

As to whether any government will be able to tax them is unclear as they will be "medical devices" as mentioned above.

Fenton

From what I have read its the chinese fluids that are being imported that are starting to be stopped due to some bad chemicals in them, the stuff made in the EU is better quality

GordonY

Its the liquids that they'll start taxing, the pipes, well by the time they (the government) get round to it everyone who's remotely interested in "vaping" rather than smoking will have at least one lifetimes supply of said "medical" devices. I've been on them for a fortnight and have 3 and plan on buying another one on Monday, why? So many flavours, so little patience, plus its also a little bit like a hobby, so many gadgets, so many shiny things.

Which brings up a quick question for Fenton, why with so many lovely flavours available do you choose to vape a tobacco flavour? I know thats what I've been smoking for 46 years, buts thats down to tobacco being the only readily available and legal material to smoke. Just a thought. Hmmm just vaping a nice mix of Blueberry and Liqorice, very nice and tastes so much better than tobacco.

Womble67

Quote from: GordonY on 18 January 2014, 06:28:50 AM
Doing bugger all apart from atempting NOT to smoke, its fkn hard.

Hi there all I can say is keep it up. I've been stopped for a year this coming March its not easy but well worthwhile both financially and health wise.

Anyway I've painted some anglo zulu war british officer's

10mm Wargaming Facebook

take care

andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!