Overstuffed market?

Started by Luddite, 09 August 2012, 10:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 November 2017, 05:25:04 PM
I have never understood the animus toward Aztecs on this board. Is it feathers? The dragon glass weapons technology? The lack of wheeled vehicles? The human sacrifices? The unpronounceable gods?

I think it might be to do with a cat.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well the piteous mewling does get a bit tedious, even if the range has more justification than the AWI Tarleton's legion howls we were suffering from.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 November 2017, 05:25:04 PM
I have never understood the animus toward Aztecs on this board. Is it feathers? The dragon glass weapons technology? The lack of wheeled vehicles? The human sacrifices? The unpronounceable gods?

Eating POW in chocolate sauce, perhaps.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Dragoon

I'm a Napoleonic gamer in as much that I started my first Napoleonic army in 1971 with Hinchliffe 25mm and London Wargames Section Rules for Napoleonic Warfare.
Prior to this it was Charge! by Peter Young (SYW) and Battle by Charles Grant (WWII) from a series in meccano magazine.
The first thing that will be noticed is that the title actually gives you some idea of what the book is about. No title in a European language that you have to ask for a translation.

They, like most of the rules that followed were just that, rules. They were a refining of Don Featherstons rules in his book War Game.

The J & S Reed Rules was the first rules for Napoleonic games that had casualties in men rather than figures and morale charts.

In 1975/6 Trevor Halsall published an ACW set of rules and a Rules for Napoleonic Warfare used for several years in the National Wargames Championships. To my mind these were the peak for Napoleonic rules by the time 4th edition was published.
They still had a figure to men scale of 20 : 1 and a ground scale of 1 inch = 20 paces.
At our club, Stoke Wargames Group, for larger battles this was changed to 1 figure = 50 men and a ground scale of 1cm = 50 paces for playing the 1814 campaign east of Paris modelled on the Kevin Zucker game..

I've played Age of Eagles by Bill Gray a brigade level game wher we could get Austerlitz on one table.
On the website and in the yahoo group there are all or most of the battles in the Napoleonic Wars with the exception of Leipzig, because the ground scale is 1" = 120 yds and the figure scale is 1 figure = 90 men each move = 30 minutes.

With all sets of rules a battalion is out of scale is out of scale with buildings which looks odd.
The real problem is for the historical gamer because a battle field on the Wargames table is a map with each road, river, forest/wood and hill drawn to scale, but, buildings are too big.
How ever this really depends on what size game you want to play. At Stoke we rented a large upper floor of a shop that wasn't used as now stock was kept on the shop floor.
We had six rooms and games are left on the table so for some unmarried players they can play every evening or all day in school holidays.
Now I live in Wales so I play solo on a 6'x4' table using Chain of Command.
Games depend on taxable size and if they are pick-up games ie 1000 points of bolt action.
In that case for Napoleonic, Halssall's rules 2000 points = 4 to 5 infantry units, 2 cavalry units and 1 battery of Artillery.
If there are enough players then a league table.
I still can't get used to a game of Maurice where each unit has 4 bases. 1 hit and you're down to 25%.

Mike L
Regards

Mike L

FierceKitty

Quote from: Dragoon on 24 November 2017, 10:54:29 AM

I still can't get used to a game of Maurice where each unit has 4 bases. 1 hit and you're down to 25%.

Mike L

My God. Your maths is even worse than mine.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Dragoon on 24 November 2017, 10:54:29 AM
With all sets of rules a battalion is out of scale is out of scale with buildings which looks odd.
The real problem is for the historical gamer because a battle field on the Wargames table is a map with each road, river, forest/wood and hill drawn to scale, but, buildings are too big.

Let me mount a personal hobby horse for a moment. ;)

How can anyone, who can look at 24 figures and see a battalion of six hundred, not look at a single building and see a village of a couple of dozen houses?

Colour me bemused.

</hobbyhorse>
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Many of us can identify one as an isolated individual, but count like trolls when the number is "many"?

d_Guy

One is a farm
Two is a village
Many is a city

It seems very clear.
Sleep with clean hands ...

petercooman

Quote from: d_Guy on 24 November 2017, 01:59:40 PM
One is a farm
Two is a village
Many is a city

It seems very clear.

You forgot "one and a shed/outhouse is a hamlet"....

Orcs

At our club we tend to try lots of different rules, but fortunately all seem to like similar things, so while we try lots we tend to agree on what rules to play for each style and era of game.

If we like a set of rules we stay with them, even if they go out of fashion.  eg we only play 2nd edition AK47. 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Quote from: petercooman on 24 November 2017, 02:03:07 PM
You forgot "one and a shed/outhouse is a hamlet"....

;D good point! Since we are dealing in quanta prehaps:
>1,<2 = hamlet
>2,<Many = town
>Many <Many + 1 = megapolis

Conditions all feasible within Kitty's trollish counting system.
Sleep with clean hands ...

petercooman

Quote from: d_Guy on 24 November 2017, 03:50:09 PM
;D good point! Since we are dealing in quanta prehaps:
>1,<2 = hamlet
>2,<Many = town
>Many <Many + 1 = megapolis

Conditions all feasible within Kitty’s trollish counting system.

Even a bird brain can cope with that, so a cat should cope well. After all they supposed to bae at the level of a 2 yr old child !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dragoon

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 November 2017, 11:08:32 AM
My God. Your maths is even worse than mine.

I'm officer material, if Wellington was right , Light Cavalry probably Hussars.
Regards

Mike L

FierceKitty

Fred was terrible at maths too. I wonder how some of the other big boys handled it?