Overstuffed market?

Started by Luddite, 09 August 2012, 10:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Life was so much simpler at primary school when we just had sums. To be honest though to British ears math really, really, REALLY grates. And to British eyes so does honor, color, aluminum etc., etc.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Yep.....Put time back to the 'times tables' that were printed on the back of those old exercise books.....(Mostly red covers ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers - an old f*rt.

Leman

Looking back at my previous comment, we really do have a weird language - honour is pronounced onuh and colour is pronounced culler, at least in this neck of the woods ( argh - don't get me started on wood and woods - both meaning a large number of trees. It's another example of how American and English linguistics have parted. I can't even explain to myself how the wood and the woods works - it's just in English it sounds right and American it doesn't, eg I would say, the skirmishers in the wood; a US rulebook will say, the skirmishers in the woods; but equally I would say I am walking the dog to the woods this afternoon. It just baffles me because there doesn't seem to be a rule - it just is the way it is).

Techno

Too true, Andy.  X_X ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Leman on 06 April 2018, 05:44:10 PM
Life was so much simpler at primary school when we just had sums. To be honest though to British ears math really, really, REALLY grates. And to British eyes so does honor, color, aluminum etc., etc.

Well, English speaking British ears  ;) 

In Welsh maths makes no sense at all  :-B :P
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Leman

Show me a Welshman who can't speak English and I'll show you a four year old.

Ithoriel

Based on my shoddy memory of the odd bits of Welsh the cleaners taught me when I spent around 9 months in Aberystwyth, forty years ago, isn't math the Welsh for kind or something similar?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

You were in Aber forty years back, Ithorial? I only missed you by twenty, very close :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Correct, math (pl. mathau - pronounced math eye) is indeed the Welsh for kind, as in type.

Ithoriel

Quote from: toxicpixie on 08 April 2018, 10:53:54 AM
You were in Aber forty years back, Ithorial? I only missed you by twenty, very close :D

Blink of an eye ... on a geological time scale :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Or the length of a wet afternoon staring at the sea :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Leman on 08 April 2018, 10:25:41 AM
Show me a Welshman who can't speak English and I'll show you a four year old.

Too true  ;)

I was half asleep when I posted and it was entirely clear to me what I meant.  Obviously the old telepathy wasn't working so you missed the subtext!  :-[  ;)

The Welsh for mathematics is mathemateg.  I went to a Welsh school and my math teacher's bête noire was the anglicised abbreviating to maths, so it was drummed into us to use math - a habit I still default to today! 

Obviously the American abbreviating to math is entirely wrong-sounding, but it's fine for Cymric abbreviating...  :P
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Leman

Depends on the kind of math then.  ;)

Terry37

if you really want to have fun with word games think of how many different ways we, at least in America, use the word "up". Just a few examples - go up, fed up, pile, up, reach up, touch up, speed up, slow up, do up (this one may be a southern slang though), fess up, dig up, start up, blow up, grow up, step up, get up, etc. You get the idea.

And then also here, there are regional differences. A bag in the upper east coast is a sack, while a soda in the upper mid-west is a beverage to mix with bourbon or scotch, while in the south it means any soft drink that is carbonated. But I never heard the term sums for math over here anywhere. However I know it well from watching so many British movies and series.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Ithoriel

Sums is specifically Arithmetic rather than Maths as such.