17th Q.L.D.

Started by CorvetteK225, 04 August 2012, 11:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: CorvetteK225 on 06 August 2012, 10:36:39 PM
Thanks Leon. The paintwork is only half of the glory. It takes a quality figure to start with as well!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Nigelemsen

A level of painting to aspire to... Well done

Ben Waterhouse

Dazza

looking nice and smart :)

Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

mollinary

These are incredibly beautiful, but I will ask a couple of questions - cos  I am still trying to get a style I am completely happy with, particularly with cavalry.  I notice you have painted all the horses the same colour. I know a lot of gamers who do this automatically - I tend to mix to break up the monotony a bit and add a bit of colour.  Are you doing this to represent a particular historical policy (not my period!) or is it an artistic choice?   Second, your bases seem to be Basetex(?).  Have you ever tried dry brushing a lighter colour (like Vallejo Stone Grey, for example) to sort of  heighten the contrast.  I do it for my bases with sand texturing on, but am not sure if it would work with this sort of ready textured material.    Anyway, thanks for sharing your work,  it is magnificent,and worth all the plaudits.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

Spot on !
Terrific work !!
Cheers - Phil.

CorvetteK225

mollinary,

Quote from: mollinary on 08 August 2012, 07:00:21 PM
I notice you have painted all the horses the same colour. I know a lot of gamers who do this automatically

According to the 17th Light Dragoons in North America (an AWI reenactment group), "Some effort was made to use only dark colored horses for the troopers, but when remounts were scarce, bays, chestnuts, and grays,  horses were better than no horse at all." Since that was their goal, that became mine. I could have fallen on either side of the fence, and I chose to model the ideal situation.

Quote from: mollinary on 08 August 2012, 07:00:21 PM
Have you ever tried dry brushing a lighter colour (like Vallejo Stone Grey, for example) to sort of  heighten the contrast.  I do it for my bases with sand texturing on, but am not sure if it would work with this sort of ready textured material.

I first textured my Pendraken laser-cut bases with Vallejo Coarse Pumice. I then painted it Vallejo 145 followed up by a brybrush of Vallejo 134. The green grass areas are Vallejo 86 followed up by a drybrush of Vallejo 80. This use of mutiple colors is sadly not evident in my dimly lighted photographs.

Truthfully, The bases did not turn out to my liking. This stems from the fact that basing is a weakness of mine. I went with a paint-only style because of fear that any grasses would consume my figures, thus becoming the unintended central focus. I will be refinishing the bases with a sparse application of two different grasses. When re-done, I will be shooting for something more like this: http://chargebayonet.blogspot.com/2011/06/practice-basing.html

Thanks for the questions,
David

seano1815