Maurice question

Started by Aart Brouwer, 17 July 2012, 10:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aart Brouwer

I'm getting the full Maurice pack (book + cards in a box) but they're travelling in slomo across the ocean. I've been looking at the lite version (pdf) and I have a question.

Can you easily integrate pike units into these rules?

It says the game period is 1690-1790, so it starts with Louis XIV's later wars where pikes no longer played a role. But it would be nice to play Jacobite wars, the Franco-Dutch War and some other late-seventeenth century engagements with these rules.

Anyone got a solution?

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Fenton

The only advice I could give is go to the Maurice site and ask there , I know people having been messing about with for earlier periods already
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Aart Brouwer

Thanks Fenton. It appears that thre's a special rule for pikes in the full pack, so I'll just have to sit and wait by my mailbox to find out...  :-w 8-}

Cheers,
Aart

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Steve J

Yep there are rules for pikes in there Aart. If I remember I'll post the broad guideline as to how pikes are used tonight.

Nosher

17 July 2012, 12:51:54 PM #4 Last Edit: 17 July 2012, 01:55:06 PM by Nosher
Pikes get a +1 when charging and a +2 when being charged by cavalry. Pike armed units have a -1 modifier when shooting (assuming they are pike and shot contingents)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Steve J

Thanks Nosher, you saved me a job :).

fred.

You also might want to use the En Masse national characteristic which deploys the unit in a block rather than a line. This gives another +1 in hand to hand, but only allows 2 bases to shoot, and means you get hit on +1 when being shot at. This is more appropriate if you feel big blocks of combat infantry with few muskets are appropriate.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: fred  12df on 17 July 2012, 05:16:00 PM
You also might want to use the En Masse national characteristic which deploys the unit in a block rather than a line. This gives another +1 in hand to hand, but only allows 2 bases to shoot, and means you get hit on +1 when being shot at. This is more appropriate if you feel big blocks of combat infantry with few muskets are appropriate.

Oh good. So there's more than one way to employ pikes if your army has them. I can't wait for this ship to dock and unload my Maurice box. I'll figure out what armies I want to have and prepare a fat Pendraken LoA order. The new LoA models are bloody perfect for the game, I believe. Come September we'll have the arty, and hopefully before Christmas some horsies as well.

Cheers,
Aart

fred.

Maurice is proving highly popular with with the parts of my gaming group who have tried it.

The rules certainly favour shooty infantry, which is probably historically correct. Big blocks of pike will struggle to get into combat without suffering a lot a disruption.

Two have even bought armies off the back of a couple of games. I've just ordered up some LoA figures. I'd suggest 1" bases for 10mm, unless you are feeling megalomaniacal!! You'll need about 24 figs for a unit.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: fred  12df on 17 July 2012, 05:58:42 PM
Maurice is proving highly popular with with the parts of my gaming group who have tried it.

The rules certainly favour shooty infantry, which is probably historically correct. Big blocks of pike will struggle to get into combat without suffering a lot a disruption.

Two have even bought armies off the back of a couple of games. I've just ordered up some LoA figures. I'd suggest 1" bases for 10mm, unless you are feeling megalomaniacal!! You'll need about 24 figs for a unit.

So that's 6 infantry or 2 cavalry models to a 1' base, right? Same as Maurice Lite then?

And 24 figures isn't that much. I'm making tercios for the TYW at the moment, they're 36 figures. They look great though.

Thanks again, fred 12df!

Cheers,
Aart

fred.

Basing is unchanged between lite and full rules - but the full rules do add lots of nice extras.

I've gone with 2 x 40x20mm bases as I already had quite a lot of troops based this way - and 20x20mm have proved a bit fiddly. The few times troops are in column we put up with them being sideways.  I think 1" should be big enough to stay in place, and have enough figures on them to look good. I was wondering if you can squeeze 3 cavalry on?

You can build a Maurice army in 10mm very easily. I did consider 40 or 50mm square bases, but thought I would never get the figures painted. If I get enough troops I might go for some sabot bases and a high figure count battle - but this is a long way off...

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: fred  12df on 17 July 2012, 08:16:44 PM
Basing is unchanged between lite and full rules - but the full rules do add lots of nice extras.

I've gone with 2 x 40x20mm bases as I already had quite a lot of troops based this way - and 20x20mm have proved a bit fiddly. The few times troops are in column we put up with them being sideways.  I think 1" should be big enough to stay in place, and have enough figures on them to look good. I was wondering if you can squeeze 3 cavalry on?

You can build a Maurice army in 10mm very easily. I did consider 40 or 50mm square bases, but thought I would never get the figures painted. If I get enough troops I might go for some sabot bases and a high figure count battle - but this is a long way off...

Interesting insights. But if I had the choice, I'd rather increase the variety of units than the units themselves. I mean, practically all nations involved had so many different well-documented regiments from 1670 onwards, it seems a shame to skip some of them in exchange for more crowded bases.

Cheers,
Aart