DOOM-inspired figures

Started by TheKatanaDan, 04 July 2012, 04:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKatanaDan

I love Starship Troopers and Aliens as much as the next man, but the sci-fi concept that truly resonates with me is the DOOM universe; that of scientists unearthing teleportation technology on Mars and accidentally opening up a gateway to Hell, letting legions of cyberdemons spew out!

I had the boardgame and the minis were cool but it's now impossible/extortionate to get a hold of.
Having hordes of 10mm Imps, Cyber Demons, Hell Knights etc and squads of "Doomguys" would be awesome, perfect for skirmishes and dungeon crawling.

Preferably the classic designs from Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom, the ones from Doom 3 worked but just weren't as memorable!
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis

nikharwood

I like your thinking TheKatanaDan (& welcome to the Forum BTW  :-h )

If you can bung some pics of some of the gribblies up as a reminder, there might well be some existing figures that'd be a pretty good match...

Leon

Ahh, the days of playing Doom on my Playstation 1!  We used to do Link-Up play, before the age of the interwebs, where you had to buy this special cable, and then lug two PS's and two TV's into your front room and hook them up!  We used to put them back to back so you couldn't see where the opponent was...   :-[ :D

For figures, there's quite a few things off the top of my head which could work.  For the humans, the new Sci-Fi troops should be fine, or there's even a Duke Nukem style figure lurking somewhere in a mould, which was never released properly, so I could do you a couple of those.

There were the little pigdog things, which I think our DN61 - Squoggler could be good for:

There were those big demon things, which always looked like Minotaurs to me.  Might need a bit of conversion work but:

On the other things, skeletons and goblins should work as well.

The main problems from those in the pic above, is going to be arachnid-brain thingys, and the big red floating heads, as there's nothing I can think of which would suit.  There's a Floating Squid in the Dungeon range though:

Same with the floating skulls, nothing there I can think of, or for the big fat dude with the guns for arms!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Squirrel

What about SF36 sci-fi Minotaur with Heavy Weapon? Admittedly I've not seen a pic of it, but it sound like it might work.

Cheers,

Kev

Duke Speedy of Leighton

B.F.G.-9000 PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSE!  ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

TheKatanaDan

Wow thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies guys!

It was actually the Squoggler figure that inspired me, that is a really cool figure! That and watching Event Horizon again. (Sigh, why oh why did the Doom movie resort to the "it was a virus" rubbish? We have Resident bloody Evil for that!)

You have a Duke Nukem-alike figure? I shall have to request one or two of those in my next order! What's he armed with and what kind of pose is he in? Another of my all-time favourite games!
Also, when you say "new sci-fi troops" does that mean upcoming ones?

All good suggestions for monsters, probably enough to at least start a game as most of the minion-class monsters are represented, the fat blob with guns for arms is a favourite of mine, LOVE to have a mini (or ten) of that!

I started off thinking about a dungeon crawling game, but all those awesome demon minis would be crying out to attack sci-fi armies of troops and tanks wouldn't they, armies of space marines entering Hell itself to fight, now that would make a spectacular game!
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis

Leon

Quote from: TheKatanaDan on 05 July 2012, 03:40:56 PM
You have a Duke Nukem-alike figure? I shall have to request one or two of those in my next order! What's he armed with and what kind of pose is he in? Another of my all-time favourite games!
Also, when you say "new sci-fi troops" does that mean upcoming ones?

He's kinda like Duke Nukem, bit of armour, cropped hair, big gun if I remember right.  He's just standing there I think.

The new Sci-Fi figures have been moulded, so I've been sending them out in the more recent orders anyway.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

dicehead

I don't suppose you have a picture of that guy do you please? How can I add a few to my order? I'm really into the idea of sci-fi dungeons now.

Leon

Quote from: dicehead on 21 July 2012, 10:00:43 AM
I don't suppose you have a picture of that guy do you please? How can I add a few to my order? I'm really into the idea of sci-fi dungeons now.

It's not the best pic, but I found this one online, he's the second from the left:

If you only need a few, just pop me an email through, and I'll stick them in with the rest of the order for you.

dicehead

serenity77

like the duke nuke em guy would like some of those

Leon

Quote from: serenity77 on 03 November 2015, 04:07:41 PM
like the duke nuke em guy would like some of those.

Drop us an email if you'd like any, they're in a mould somewhere!