DIY trees from grape stems

Started by Aart Brouwer, 05 May 2010, 12:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aart Brouwer

05 May 2010, 12:26:40 PM Last Edit: 05 May 2010, 12:29:38 PM by Aart Brouwer
1. Eat the grapes
2. Get to work while the grape stems are still fresh and flexible (approx 3 hours)
3. Cut stems to tree model/size, remove excess from 'branches'
4. Stick a metal pin deep into the base of the (soft) stem, remove pin's head with nippers
5. Pull out pin, reverse, stick blunt end of pin back into stem
6. Let dry (approx 2 days on or near radiator or something)
7. Add foliage, foam, flock, paint of whatever you prefer
8. Cut pin to length and mount on rubber/clay/soft cardboard, or stick sharp end of pin directly into diorama/battlefield foam board

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Leon

Haha, genius!  I quite fancy buying some grapes now just to try that.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Leon on 05 May 2010, 03:13:32 PM
Haha, genius!  I quite fancy buying some grapes now just to try that.

The grape is the genius in this case. Once the stems dry out properly, they both clamp the pins in place and give the perfect impression of gnarly, weather-beaten tree trunks. Painting unnecessary, unless with a sealing agent or sumtin.

Cheers,
Aart

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Jase

Neat! You got some pictures of that?
Exitus Acta Probat

17-21l

We are strange people, as I have also thought of doing this in the past- sad isnt it? As I go through my daily routine I look for 'things' in general to make gaming stuff with ( I often grab handfulls of wooden stirrers from Burger King -dont know why but one day they'll come in handy)

I will now make a grape stem tree and see how it goes - cheers for the reminder  ::)
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Aart Brouwer

@Jase, I'm working on some pics.

@ 17-21l, you're so right.

I stop to finger the branches of plants in the middle of a busy office. I grab handfuls of stirring sticks at the coffee stand in my local commuter station each morning. I buy weird cleaning products, scoop up pebbles & stuff at building sites, rejoice at the sight of artificial grass mats, new foam products and related sh*t. I ask friends and family members for second-hand stuff, only to tear it to pieces. I feel the texture of pieces of cloth between finger and thumb at the risk of being stared at like a closet transvestite.

I'm going to be arrested one day.  ;D

Leon

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 10 May 2010, 06:29:55 PM
@Jase, I'm working on some pics.

@ 17-21l, you're so right.

I stop to finger the branches of plants in the middle of a busy office. I grab handfuls of stirring sticks at the coffee stand in my local commuter station each morning. I buy weird cleaning products, scoop up pebbles & stuff at building sites, rejoice at the sight of artificial grass mats, new foam products and related sh*t. I ask friends and family members for second-hand stuff, only to tear it to pieces. I feel the texture of pieces of cloth between finger and thumb at the risk of being stared at like a closet transvestite.

I'm going to be arrested one day.  ;D

Definitely!   :D 8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Aart Brouwer

11 May 2010, 11:09:46 AM #7 Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 12:28:34 PM by Aart Brouwer
Despite the inclement weather I managed to whip up some pics of my troops and trees on an old battlefield cloth spread over the pingpong table in my backyard.

Here's my favourite 2. Panzerdivision sweeping through Northern France in May 1940 under Guderian himself. And there are your first grape trees as well.

Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd include a shot of a support vehicle (Pendraken's Opel Blitz) during the onslaught on Greece, May 1941, as part of the XII. Armee. That's right, no trees. Just dry grass and dusty roads under a blazing sun.

Lead column of 2. Battalion advancing on Vyasma, October 1941, as part of Heeresgruppe Mitte.

And before I forget, the award for Best Grape Tree of 2010 goes to rainy autumnal Russia:

Cheers,
Aart

17-21l

Mate! - just fab - im going to have a go once ive finnished my Napoleonic Russians British Austrians and my 28mm fantasy army ( Halflings) then my 10mm AWI yanks and brits with a few Bosche chucked in.  Cant wait - till 2015 then.

I like the German stuff and in this scale it does tempt me due to the amount of armour you can have on the table ( anything smaller yuo loose the detail)

Happy days - you will soon get arrested - Il write to you when you are in Knick  :D
God Save the Queen

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: 17-21l on 11 May 2010, 02:05:27 PMI like the German stuff and in this scale it does tempt me due to the amount of armour you can have on the table ( anything smaller yuo loose the detail).

Exactly. You gotta love a sight like this on your table.

Although with infantry and artillery mounted on minimal bases it looks good as well.

Here are some Panzer Grenadiers advancing under cover of tank column.

A PaK450 crew setting up shop at a crossroads.

I guess I can't get enough of it.  :P

Cheers mate,
Aart

Leon

Excellent stuff Aart, thanks for posting the pics!

17-21l

Aart - I love em - give me a troop (Ok half Sqn) of firefly and we'd have fun- pitty they werent sorted by this stage of the game eh?

Keep eating them there grapes and you could aim for a Sherwood forrest scenario (Ardennes!!)

Cheers mate

:D :D

God save the Queen
God Save the Queen

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: 17-21l on 11 May 2010, 09:52:10 PM
Aart - I love em - give me a troop (Ok half Sqn) of firefly and we'd have fun- pitty they werent sorted by this stage of the game eh?

Hold on. I'm about to order myself a nice Opel with a Quad AA, I'm told Jerry used it to good effect on any 'flies', including your Shermans.

QuoteKeep eating them there grapes and you could aim for a Sherwood forrest scenario (Ardennes!!)

I'll tell you what I learned. The downside is it takes a handful of grapes to make one or two trees.. Divide by a pair of clean underpants and you'll get my drift.  :P

Cheers,
Aart

17-21l

You could use said undergarments (undercrackers) - cut them up for Autumn leaves ( Ok maybe not!!) ;)
God Save the Queen

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: 17-21l on 11 May 2010, 10:20:19 PM
You could use said undergarments (undercrackers) - cut them up for Autumn leaves ( Ok maybe not!!) ;)

Dried herbs make much better autumn foliage. Go through the wife's cupboard, nick the unused herb tins or bags or flasks or whatever (who would eat a bloody 'omelet Valenciana' anyway?), mix with various light shades of red and yellow paint, let dry, use as foliage. Bob is sooo going to be your uncle this autumn.

Cheers,
Aart