worst task in wargaming

Started by Sunray, 23 June 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyTerrain

Nice looking Persians there by the way J S........get them based and they will look amazing  :o

Cheers,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

AndyT

Quote from: sultanbev on 23 June 2012, 09:55:28 PM
Repainting figures when the varnish goes white............. :(

Or a variation on this - when I picked up a can of white spray paint thinking it was spray varnish then had to repaint a lot of figures  :'(

Syr Hobbs

Oh tha has happened to me once on some beautifully painted LOTR Warg Riders from GW.  I'm not sure I've gone back to fix them.   :'(

Duane

Hertsblue

Quote from: sultanbev on 23 June 2012, 09:55:28 PM
Repainting figures when the varnish goes white............. :(

I assume it's matt varnish that goes white when it reacts with the paint? If so, try the old trick of gloss-varnishing the figures first and then when it's dry matt varnishing over the top. Takes a bit longer but stops the "whiting".  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Orcs

I don't think I have had the misfortune of varnish going white on figures over time.  I only had it once when i used some very old humbrol varnish, and it dried that way.

I use artists acrylic varnish and its only about £4 for a bottle, Imake a note when I buy the varnish and throw it away after about a year or if it starts to thicken too much.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Poggle

Painting cavalry is the worst chore for me. The scale doesn't matter, it's always a chore.  :(

wargamesbob

Other than having to pack away your troops and terrain...Having to repaint and replace a damaged figure in a unit that you painted so long ago the colours have faded. The little b*gger always stands out like a sore thumb.

Bob

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Got another one - p[acking up after a show on the 1st floor......with storage on the ground. I ache all over. :'(

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Maintenence generally. Drilling out broken spears and replacing them with steel rod; gluing back sundry vehicle bits that have come unshipped during transit; re-fixing riders that have lost their horses. It's all unproductive time. :(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Malbork

Agree with Hertsblue, am just rebasing Early Polish cav and almost every second knight needs to be refixed to his steed; Really time consuming.

Also take Poggle's point. Why is it that cav are such a pain to paint? The only "easy" ones I've ever done were Teutonic Knights -black undercoat, white cloaks and a bit of chainmail here and there. Any parts of dobbin sticking out remained black!

dicehead

The worst I've ever had was when I bought several fantasy armies at once and in my excitement decided to base and undercoat the lot in one massive blitz to get that over with. Tedious enough at the best of times but I'd been a cheapskate and picked up a spray can from the £1 shop. Looked ok at first but then the paint just started peeling off.

Total fiasco. Had to strip them and do them all again for the sake of a couple of quid. I was cursing myself for that one.

WarrenAbox

Finding time to actually play the games.  I can squeeze painting and basing and rules reading into the odd 20-minutes here or there, but knocking down the honeydo list down to a reasonable number of items so I can sneak out of the house to game for a few hours without feeling guilty about it - that's the real chore.

WeeWars

1. Cleaning off flash - especially when I find I've carefully and laboriously cut off what was part of the figure.

2. Having to remodel a bit of a figure I just cut off thinking it was flash.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Congratulating a cocky opponent on winning.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

peterdong

Quote from: WeeWars on 27 July 2012, 06:19:24 PM
1. Cleaning off flash - especially when I find I've carefully and laboriously cut off what was part of the figure.

2. Having to remodel a bit of a figure I just cut off thinking it was flash.

I completely agree.  :(
I will stand, or I will fall. But I will not sit.