worst task in wargaming

Started by Sunray, 23 June 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Maenoferren on 23 June 2012, 11:29:29 PM
trimming the flash off the bases when you have lost your snippers so it has to be done with a sharp blade, always best to count your fingers before and after to ensure the tally at both counts is the same, or if you cut it off on a board ....apologising to wife, children or pets as you embed subsonic pieces of pewter in them at 40 paces.

I use a polishing pad on my drill for this. Mount drill in bench vice, switch on drill, lightly touch bottom of model to rotating pad, and you have a perfectly flat base underside in 1 second.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Nosher

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 24 June 2012, 08:50:48 AM
I use a polishing pad on my drill for this. Mount drill in bench vice, switch on drill, lightly touch bottom of model to rotating pad, and you have a perfectly flat base underside in 1 second.

Cheers,
Aart

Dear god!

Clearly you have never seen me near power tools :o I'd be in A&E within minutes of turning the drill on ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

robert

The worst task in wargaming imho is deciding which rules to use for a period...............then resisting looking at a new set..........but finally giving up and deciding to use the new set ........

and then getting to the worst task which is of course  :(
That is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put - Winston Churchill

robert

and for some reason my last post missed the last word :-\

REBASING
That is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put - Winston Churchill

Leman

Have to agree, it's rebasing, eg. Maurice - all figures on same size frontage; damn, my cavalry and artillery were on wider frontages - and yes, it does make a difference.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shecky

I think rebasing is admitting a past project is a failure. Perhaps that is why a lot of people don't like to rebase - it means we have failed at something.

robert

I rebased my 28mm for Maurice but I really cannot see me ever doing that again with these figures - they were based for Piquet Cartouche and Grognards which comprehensively failed for me - agreed.

All my 10 mm will be based to Warmaster/Commander series and this time I have stopped at looking at other 'new' rule sets and will concentrate on what I now have - so yes - if I was to ever rebase
that would be a failure - so it is not going to happen :-\

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

basing to a set tht DOSN@RT USE A BASE SIZE !

Good un.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Yep, it's got to be rebasing - each time I do it I swear I'll never do it again. However, it's a lot easier now I've finally cured myself of setting the little so-and-sos in Tetrion.  #:-S
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

robert

@ Ian S - were you replying to me?

If so I have completely missed your point - sorry.

The little blighters have to be stuck on something (which I call bases) and then you come unstuck when the new rules insist on a different size or grouping and re-basing is only option if new rules are to be used.

Maenoferren

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 24 June 2012, 08:50:48 AM

Cheers,
Aart
hmmmm worth a try  :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Luddite

Quote from: Shecky on 24 June 2012, 03:43:24 PM
I think rebasing is admitting a past project is a failure. Perhaps that is why a lot of people don't like to rebase - it means we have failed at something.

Not at all.

For me it usually means that i've taken up a new ruleset and because no rules use the same basing conventions...   >:( :'( >:( :-w #-o   ...it means i have to rebase the damned things.

Often you can get away with it since modern rulesets have largely abandoned any pretence to simulation and are mostly gamist in nature, but for some the base size is vital.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

TinyTerrain

Its funny because I quite like basing. I always think of putting a good scenic base on a figure is a bit like putting a frame around a picture. Get it right and it makes a good picture look great, and a great picture look fantastic. Well worth taking your time over, IMHO (especially with 10mm as the base is so much bigger than the individual figures).

My most hated job is cleaning off flash, and glueing together multi part white metal kits, the cutting I loose fingers and the gluing I stick what few fingers I have left together again  ;)

Cheers,Craig

Tiny Terrain Models

http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

J.S.

I hate basing...got several armies which wandered into a shoebox after completing the painting. Latest 10mm example: Sassanid Persians

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Luddite

Quote from: TinyTerrain on 24 June 2012, 11:07:25 PM
My most hated job is cleaning off flash, and glueing together multi part white metal kits

Ooooh good one.

Yeah, i hate this too.

Lots of flash = poor customer service*.

But multipart figures really annoy me.  I still have 4 boxes of unopened Perry 28mm Wars of the Roses models.  Got part way through the first box and just could not be bothered to finish gluing all the uneccessary fiddly bits together.   >:(

Don't get me wrong, multi-part where it allows you to vary poses, isn't too bad (i still hate it though), but most of Perry's stuff has ONE POSE.   >:( >:( >:(

* The best company i've found on the flash score is Dark Realm Miniatures.  Not only are their 6mm castings clean, they've evidendly been cleaned of flash before shipping.  They're pricey but i'm willing to pay that little extra to get clean models. 
Of course Pendraken's castings are usually pretty good too.   ;)
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN