worst task in wargaming

Started by Sunray, 23 June 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

My son said he had picked up some figures in a car boot sale that needed rebasing for BKC.  I was painting and basing my modern wars group, and as he games with me in 10mm, I assumed that's what they were.  BUT...They were 6mm !  Now I remember why converted tn 10mm.   Rebasing 6mm must be the worst job in wargaming.The rates of attrition were high.   Whats you worst experience in gaming?

Sunray out

Steve J

No real disasters I can remember, but I always hate packing up after each game. I just wish I had a dedicated games room that I could leave everything set up.

Syr Hobbs

Selling off unpainted lead,  oh the horror.

Duane

mollinary

Labelling 600 bases of Austrian 1866 infantry. Oh, I haven't done it yet....... But it is bearing down on me as the 2400 little Pendraken gems wing their way across the globe from the elves in Sri Lanka.  Oh, and I cannot even start it until I 've based and flagged the little............ MEN!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: mollinary on 23 June 2012, 05:50:00 PM
But it is bearing down on me as the 2400 little Pendraken gems wing their way across the globe from the elves in Sri Lanka.  Oh, and I cannot even start it until I 've based and flagged the little............ MEN!

Mollinary

Yeah, you lead a horrible life, Mollinary.  :P

Cheers,
AArt
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

mollinary

Aart,

Your sympathy and fellow feeling make it all worth while - you are a credit to the human race! :-* :-\

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Luddite

Actually, i think basing/rebasing the figures is generally the worst task.  Having to paint the things is a chore enough but i hate basing.   >:(

Um.  Putting up with moochers who never put games on but expect a seat at the table.  Pretty tough.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Nosher

Have to agree with Luddite - basing :d
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Jim Ando

Hi

Basing no problemo, least when you get to that stage you`ve finished painting the little buggers.

Painting is the worst part by far especially horses, jesus I hate painting bloody cavalry.  :'( :'( :'(

Jim

SV52

Quote from: Jim Ando on 23 June 2012, 08:50:55 PM
Hi

Basing no problemo, least when you get to that stage you`ve finished painting the little buggers.

Painting is the worst part by far especially horses, jesus I hate painting bloody cavalry.  :'( :'( :'(

Jim

Absolutely, could not possibly agree more X_X
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

sultanbev

Repainting figures when the varnish goes white............. :(

Maenoferren

trimming the flash off the bases when you have lost your snippers so it has to be done with a sharp blade, always best to count your fingers before and after to ensure the tally at both counts is the same, or if you cut it off on a board ....apologising to wife, children or pets as you embed subsonic pieces of pewter in them at 40 paces.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

i_am_win

I too admit basing figures is no problem, it gets them finally done....but, what I hate is, when you have just undercoated a unit of minis and they all get lined up ready to start the labourious process of painting them in identical/matching colours....seeing them all lined up just brings home the task at hand, that does get right on my nerves (especially when there's 30+ of the little buggers!) It tends to take just as much time to paint the same amount of 28mm figs as it does 10mm or 15mm for me, so it doesn't matter which scale they're in!  :o
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

FierceKitty

Quote from: Jim Ando on 23 June 2012, 08:50:55 PM
Hi

Jim

[/quote
Hear, hear. After the first thousand, all horses look the same.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Shecky

basing/rebasing. I've been known to paint new figures instead of rebasing existing painted figures.