Phalanx Pics!

Started by Leon, 18 June 2012, 04:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

18 June 2012, 04:43:37 AM Last Edit: 07 July 2012, 11:32:40 PM by Leon
With the torrential rain we'd seen in the days running up to this show, we weren't very optimistic about the weather on the day!  But getting into the van at 4:30am, it was fairly bright, and fairly dry!  Unfortunately, it wasn't to last, and the downpour continued as we trekked across the country.  It had dried up a bit by the time we got to St Helens, so we unpacked quickly and got setup before the heavens opened again.

With us arriving at 7am, we were all ready to go by about 8:30, which was a good job, as the show opened a little early sometime just after 9-ish I think.  I know this caused a few complaints from some traders, who were still getting themselves set up.

One piece of really bad news was that Andy Lyon of Ainsty's Castings had had his van broken into, and a whole load of stock stolen overnight.  There's a few threads about this knocking about the various fora, but please keep an eye out for any Ainsty, Crooked Dice, or Rogue Miniatures stock appearing for sale on the cheap.

Numbers through the door were good, and up by 10% by the close of play, so somewhere around 650 people total.  There were some Forum members knocking about as always, and we had chance to chat with fred12df for a while, along with some others (although no 'ian-MrTanks-rs54'!  Unfortunately for us though, the 10mm sales just weren't there, and by midday Pendraken had taken the grand sum of £11...  :(  It improved slightly through the afternoon, but by the end of the day, we were some 75% down on last year.   :o

Despite the increased numbers through the door, our downturn seemed to be part of a similar trend among the other traders, with only 2 of the 8 I spoke with having had a good day.  It's an odd one, as you'd expect the bigger footfall to mean more sales, but not the case it would seem.  It's a real shame though, as the club/organisers always do a magnificent job with this show, there's great advertising, good organisation, loads of people there to help you unload, and get packed away again at the end of the day, so it just looks like folk weren't up for spending much unfortunately.

These things do happen though, and every now and then you get a random blip which can't be explained, so we'll just dust ourselves off and go at it again next year!

I grabbed a handful of quick pics of the games, but it was quite late on in the day, so I didn't have time to grab any captions unfortunately.  I'll have a browse of some of the other blogs/reports online and see if I can fill in some notes.

AVBCW:

MAWS, 40k:

The Mailed Fist, The Battle of Edgehill:

The Battle of Amphipolis, 422BC:

East Lancashire Wargames Association, ECW:

Critical Mass Games:
  ;)

Napoleonics:

Lance & Longbow Society, The Battle of Ravenna, 1512:

Warlord, Bolt Action:

Ancients, Romans vs Gauls:

And that's it for the first half of the year!  Overall it's been a good run, and we're looking good going into the second half.  Next up on the calendar is our very own 20th Birthday Bash, so make sure to check the full details on that one, and get along if you can!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Lovely pics again Leon.
Shame it wasn't a great success financially....But as you say, there are always going to be 'blips' from time to time !

Cheers - Phil.

fred.

Sorry the day was poor sales wise - I guess you don't count pre-orders in the sales?

I nearly picked up a Polish army pack, which sounds like it would have doubled your mornings takings  :o

Good pics, they even show off the lovely yellow lightning in the sports hall!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Hertsblue

Am I missing something on the Critical Mass Games table? Were you making the point that they weren't there?  :-\
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leon

Quote from: fred  12df on 18 June 2012, 07:44:13 AM
Sorry the day was poor sales wise - I guess you don't count pre-orders in the sales?

I nearly picked up a Polish army pack, which sounds like it would have doubled your mornings takings  :o

Good pics, they even show off the lovely yellow lightning in the sports hall!

Nah, wasn't counting the pre-orders in that, just the impulse sales, as it were.  The yellow lighting was a bit of a challenge, I'm not good at doing that white balance thing on my camera, so I had to fiddle with the color balance in Photoshop instead.  They don't look too bad, but there is still a bit of a funny tinge to some of them.

Quote from: Hertsblue on 18 June 2012, 09:24:27 AM
Am I missing something on the Critical Mass Games table? Were you making the point that they weren't there?  :-\

They were there, but Craig had packed it away by the time I got round with the camera!  It's a nice game as well and was busy for most of the day.  There's some pics of it in the other show reports, the Falkirk batch had quite a few I think.

8)

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Bishop Lord

Thanks for the show report Leon, I missed it this year for the first time in ages, so good to see some piccies :)
Sorry to hear the takings where so low :-\  Hope the second half of the year makes up for it :)

Jason
" there is no more Jerusalem, I shall go to Cyprus..."

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

nikharwood

Some nice pics there Leon - those first two are what's made me break my "no 28mm" resolution for this year (Empire of the Dead from West Wind) - just figuring out how I can do it in 10mm  ;) 8)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There are some more pics here - via our club member John Wooley - a misguded personage as you can see from his blog title :

http://28mmheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/phalanx-wargames-show-report-with.html

Enjoy

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Good link Ian !
Cheers - Phil.

Had to ask him first.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Aart Brouwer

Look at that AVBCW table. If that ain't a labour of love I don't know what is.

Pity they don't play in 10mm. :-\

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)