Somewhere in the Danube... Napoleonic Austrians v. French

Started by sam scott, 14 May 2012, 05:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam scott

I had a plan to try the Black Powder rules with a friend last night but it fell through.  Not being patient enough to wait for another date, I played the game out solo. So....

.... somewhere in the Danube basin, a small French covering force protects a river crossing.

The sausage-sucking foe is suppose to arrive from the wooded hills to the east.

And here they come now! A unit of stalwart dragoons leading a large unit of Grenzer.

Those hussars in open order should really get their formation tightened up!  Sensing a cavalry skirmish, the Chassuers move up.

The hussars balk at changing formation.  Maybe it was catching sight of the other Austrian forces marching down the other road?

The French foot artillery does what it can to dissuade the enemy cavalry, but the range seems awfully long!

But what's this?  A collossal blunder by the Austrian brigade commander?  :banghead:  :banghead: The Dragoons bolt for the rear.

And the captain of the Grenzer looked across the open field at 2 French cavalry units and was heard to utter, "Well, fuuuuuck."  :shock:

The Grenz fall back on the wood line and hope something better comes along.

And here it comes now!  Hungarian infantry emerge from the valley and shift into battalion mass at the sight of the 9th Hussars.

The Hussars are finally goaded into action, tightening up into a proper formation.  The Chassuers stubbornly refuse to move up, so the infantry begins to shake itself out into defensive posture.

Getting the blood flowing back to their testicles, the 9th Hussars sense an opportunity to bottle the Austrians up in the valley and brazenly charge the two leading infantry units.

The Hussars fall back after taking their lumps, but they have effectively stalled the Austrian advance.  Even the Chassuers are encouraged to move up.

The view from the Austrians.  After much swearing and beating with the flat of the sword, the Austrian commanders manage to retire the shaken infantry battalion and interpenetrate a fresh brigade, albeit still clogged up in battalion mass.  The Frogs smell blood in the water and are looking to blunt the Austrian advance as best they can.

A critical turn for the Austrians and the Blessed Virgin smiles on them.  The weak volleys of the battalion masses supported by cannon are enough to inflict serious casualties on the French. But more importantly, both the infantry in line and the Chasseurs are disordered which means they won't be going anywhere next turn.  This will give the Austrians time to deploy more of their force.

Desperate to hang on to the initiative, the French commander throws the battered Hussars back into the fray.

The hussars do some damage, but are bounced back to reform in front of the village.  The commander is forced to shift infantry to the left flank to protect the stalled Chassuers as the Grenzers re-emerge from the woods.

Austrian fire disorders the Chasseurs again, and the French feel their chance slipping away.  The hard-working Hussars are brought up to support again.

The French decide that they have lost the forward battle and fall back on the village.  The Chassuers are left in disarray before the Austrian forces.  Unbelievably, the other Austrian Dragoon unit refuses to charge them.  :banghead:

Austrian fire finally drives the Chassuers back and artillery on the other flank breaks the French infantry battalion on the far right.

The Austrian Dragoons are given a stirring speech by their commander who threatens to change their uniforms to little frilly petticoats if they don't stop being a horrible embarrassment to the Kaiser's army, and charge home on the tottering Chassuers.

The Chassuers flee, and the glorious charge carries on into the French infantry behind.

The elated Dragoons fall back to recover after severely punishing the French infantry which manages to hold, but barely.  And look who decided to show up after all!  The other squadron of cavalry that fled on turn 3!

It's all downhill for the French after this.  They do manage to break one battalion of German infantry, but collapse shortly thereafter.  The Hussars are sacrificed to cover the infantry falling back on the town, but the infantry doesn't move. Jerks.

They pay for their insensitivity by receiving another charge by the dragoons with the promise on another if they stick around.

Which they don't.

And that was it for the French.  The only unit to retire with dignity was the artillery, which was pretty ineffectual all game.

OK, so I know it was loaded in favor of the Austrians, but it was more for leaning purposes than anything.  That said, it was an exciting little action and I hope to do more.

-Sam

Leon

Cracking report there, looked like loads of fun!  Thanks for posting!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Steve J

I really enjoyed reading this :). Cracking looking table by the way.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Superb report and great models and table, nice one!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Aart Brouwer

Oh, teh model batrep! Good set-up, good pics, fine battle. Well done, mate, and great fun to read as well!  :-bd

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Hertsblue

Lively little battle and great figures. As for being loaded in favour of the Austrians - not many historical actions were fought to a points total!  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Believe it means in the Danube basin, or the environs thereof...
Like you can be in Kent (but why would you)!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

FierceKitty

I have been in the Danube, but I was in no state to shoot or to launch a charge.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 May 2012, 12:36:48 AM
I have been in the Danube, but I was in no state to shoot or to launch a charge.

I have been in Kent, but I was too enebriated to make out more than the contours of the place.  :o

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)