painting 1848 Danish question

Started by lekw, 09 May 2012, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lekw

I am starting to paint some Danish line for 1848 and was wondering what colors others have used? I was thinking of a regular blue for tunics and a lighter blue for pants and hat? Any ideas or pictures?

Leon

There's a thread in the Resources section with some nice info: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4891.0.html, although not a great site for uniform colours.  

There's some painted figures on here somewhere as well, I'll see if I can dig them out.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lekw

Chad

nikharwood

Here's a Pendraken pic:

I'll dig out my painting notes...

Leon

Ah, there it is!  I knew that pic was on here somewhere, but the Search function is still wonky on my computer.  I think I need to go and:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

Right - found 'em (can't believe I painted these in October 2009!)

Danes:

Spray black undercoat, Charred Brown overbrush

Trousers, cuffs, epaulettes: Regal Blue, highlighted Ultramarines Blue

Tunics: Scab Red, highlighted Blood Red

Crossbelts & Shako pompom: Cold Grey + White 50:50, highlighted White

Rifle: Beasty Brown, highlighted Leather Brown

Blanket roll / rucksack / shako: Black + Cold Grey 50:50, highlighted Cold Grey

Flesh: Dark Fleshtone, highlighted Dwarf Flesh; spot-wash: Gryphonne Sepia

lekw

Thanks Nikharwood great info. Anyone have any closer pictures especially of the Danish line infantry?

going a-viking

The Danish infantry were changing from red to blue coats. The blue coats had not yet been issued but officers, who would have bought their own uniform, were wearing them at the outset of the war. This made them an obvious target for German sharpshooters and so, after the first couple of battles, officers reverted to red coats as well.

lekw

Another question; can I paint the 1848 Danish for 1864? Looking at the uniforms they look the same in this scale and I want to use the lovely new sculpts. I have the basic 1848 infantry pack. Thinking dark blue coat and cap light blue pants?

lekw

Well think I will just paint them for 1864. Will post some pics at some point think they will look about right. I have the old sculpt 1864 infantry and they are smaller and must less crisp.

Sarge

How did the Danes look like after your painting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner