Afro-American skin

Started by Last Hussar, 07 May 2012, 10:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Whats the best way to  get 'black' skin right in 10mm -  I don't want my Vietnam troops to look like some sort of characature.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Bitter experience on this one:
Coat d'arms 'negro' not the most pc of names for that tone of flesh I'm afraid but a loudly shade! negro base tone, sepia wash then highlighting with more negro.
Do not apply liquid varnish from a pot, it will lift the paint completely, stick to spray varnish on that one!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Serotonin

For my Vietnam project I went with Foundry Bay Brown (Light) and then used a devlan mud wash. Pretty pleased with how it came out. Pics are in the Photos forum.

nikharwood

Vallejo Game Color Dark Fleshtone - washed & re-highlighted with the base coat; mix it up by adding some Bleached Bone for some highlights, drop of Dwarf Flesh for others...

GordonY

I used Cote'd Arms Horse Brown, with a dark brown varnish on my Fuzzy Wuzzys and the results were good enough for me.

Luddite

The old Games Workshop 'Dark Flesh' was a pretty good 'red' toned 'black' characteristic of the 'African American' skin tones.

I've no idea what they call it now under their exciting new revamp and mass renaming of paint (apparently for the express purpose of causing unneccessary confusion).   >:(

Oherwise, check out the articles on CoolMiniOrNot www.coolminiornot.com.  If i recall, there's a great article there on how to paint all manner of skintones...

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Rubicon

I use Foundry's Dusky Flesh - on 10mm miniatures I don't bother with the "shade" colour, and just use the mid & highlight.

Hertsblue

Would it be invidious to point out that African-Americans - like Caucasians - exhibit a variety of skin-tones, from a very light coffee colour through to a deep, rich near-black?  :-B
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

nikharwood

Quote from: Hertsblue on 10 May 2012, 09:33:17 AM
Would it be invidious to point out that African-Americans - like Caucasians - exhibit a variety of skin-tones, from a very light coffee colour through to a deep, rich near-black?  :-B

Absolutely right Ray - hence my suggestion to mix it up a bit with highlights...

Luddite

Might i also commend everyone for sidestepping the 'chromato-genetic' heffalump traps?

This could have got very dodgy.    ;D

Hehe...

However the specific point can certainly be construed to include general.  ALL skin colours are panchromatic, yet i think most of us paint figures in a fairly homogenous colour. 

Unless i'm going for a 'feature' mini (like the giant i submitted to the painting competition) all my little chaps in every scale pretty much have the same skin colour and tone...

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

FierceKitty

Quote from: GordonY on 09 May 2012, 08:30:08 AM
I used Cote'd Arms Horse Brown, with a dark brown varnish on my Fuzzy Wuzzys and the results were good enough for me.
There are Fuzzy-Wuzzies in America?!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

GordonY

No but apart from some Numidians those would be the only non-whites I've painted in 10mm

lentulus

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 July 2012, 03:16:33 AM
There are Fuzzy-Wuzzies in America?!

Lots of immigrants from South Sudan, although I am not sure if that would have been as much the case in the 70s.

FierceKitty

Truly a multicultural melting-pot.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.