Michaels 10mm 1809 BLOG

Started by WeeWars, 01 May 2012, 11:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Interesting points about research.
When I've done the odd '19th Century' 'infill' figures for folk...I'm afraid I've always had to ask the relevant commissioner to supply me with as much info, as he possibly can ....Otherwise I'd probably spend far more time on 'finding things out' than I would actually pushing the putty around. ;)
Cheers - Phil

Leon

Quote from: Rob on 21 September 2013, 05:51:07 PM
If there was a preview of the Napoleonoc figures like we get from Techno, Mart and Clib, these errors would be spotted before they went too far.  :)

There is: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,2774.msg40166.html#msg40166, we try and preview every figure which comes in to us.  Unfortunately in this case, the back of the figure isn't shown, so the error wouldn't have been seen.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

clibinarium

This topic is interesting, in terms of sculptor's research. In the stuff I do for Pendraken I don't get any instruction from HQ, other than something like "we need more cavalry", because they are projects I am already interested in and know quite well in advance. They are a special case because they let me have pretty much total creative control.

In the cases of my other clients, its not yet occurred that any of them expect me do to any research, nor have I ever expected to. Any project I've ever done has been for someone who already knows the period well and provides me with answers to questions I ask, or provides pictorial references for me to work from. That said I do independently spend a lot of time surfing the net looking at relevant material to immerse myself in the subject to get the "vibe" right, but I do expect them to be on top of the accuracy of any given aspect. It could be that its just worked out like that so far.
If I was asked to do something say, Napoleonic, I'd be looking to the client to provide me with the right info, or at least the right references for me to look at in detail.

The cuirassier does highlight one perennial problem for sculptors; "what does he look like around the back?" Its hard to get illustrations of figures from behind (often you have to guess on the basis of what you see on the front). This is an issue that never occurred to me while painting (of course the detail, right or wrong is sculpted on the figure), but when I started sculpting it was a big problem; one of my first jobs was some 15mm armoured medieval types; that was a bloody nightmare! Its harder to guess what armour is like than clothes.

Hertsblue

Quote from: Leon on 23 September 2013, 12:51:37 AM
There is: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,2774.msg40166.html#msg40166, we try and preview every figure which comes in to us.  Unfortunately in this case, the back of the figure isn't shown, so the error wouldn't have been seen.

Looks like the original figures were modified from existing figures - French cuirassiers, perhaps?. The back-plate would therefore already be present on the figure. As my old boss used to say - s**t happens! 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Rob

Quote from: Leon on 23 September 2013, 12:51:37 AM

May I ask whether you will be changing the figures Leon?

To me that seems like the logical thing to do, but I understand there may be financial and time constraints for Pendraken that mean you will be unable to change the figure. These were the next Austrians for me and I am holding off at the moment wondering whether to do without them or put up with an incorrect figure.

Cheers Rob  :) :) :)

WeeWars

Quote from: clibinarium on 23 September 2013, 02:43:58 PM
The cuirassier does highlight one perennial problem for sculptors; "what does he look like around the back?" Its hard to get illustrations of figures from behind (often you have to guess on the basis of what you see on the front). This is an issue that never occurred to me while painting (of course the detail, right or wrong is sculpted on the figure), but when I started sculpting it was a big problem; one of my first jobs was some 15mm armoured medieval types; that was a bloody nightmare! Its harder to guess what armour is like than clothes.

A similar situation when trying to illustrate any sort of history, except with illustration you can cheekily mask the blanks with well-positioned decor. Ospreys are very good at this! I understand the problems for sculptors because they have to show everything and therefore are forced to rely on informed guesswork where things aren't 100% - decisions that might not please everyone. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to the Austrian cuirassier as the info is widely known.

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

petercooman

Hertsblue

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

WeeWars

Glad you appreciated the natural look, guys!

I've posted a collection of 10mm Austrian artillery gunners.

Post 108

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost108.htm

Cheers, Michael

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great mix of figures, works well.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner