Goblins vs. Halflings

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 16 March 2012, 08:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thursday nights game, a change from 1870 or 1770, decided to try Hail Caesar with my Halflings and (as featured in  the painting competition) Goblins; forgive the picture quality, forgot my camera! Also, despite the fact I've rotated images on photobucket, some appear the wrong way up here!  :-\  :'(
All units are small, if not tiny, and none have any major advantages,
Halflings have marksmen bows, marksmen scouts, double-handed weaponed swordsmen, long-spear armed militia and clubbers.
Goblins have wild fighter infantry, wolf riders with eager, a goblin-spider herd = scythed chariot (which did nothing), some bat swarm militia and a light chariot with the C-in-C riding onboard. NB All Goblins are called Jason (LONG RUNNING CLUB JOKE)!

Scenario was whoever held the shrine in the centre of the settlement at the end won the game!
The table the stream was to prove a major obstacle! Both armies do fit into the box...  :D

The shrine at the centre of the settlement

Buildings, road and stream by Timecast, doormat by Dunhelm Mill!

The Halfling general advanced two commands, the other stalled (rolled 11) for 4 straight turns!

For the Goblins, the same thing happened - looks like we were both going to have delayed reserves!

Although we did look good posing on a hill!

Thankfully the goblin bats (marauders) managed to advance far enough to force the Halflings to deploy in and around the settlement, rather than in front of it, allowing the rest of the Goblins time to move up!

Goblins getting hung up on a wood!

Eventually Biggest Jason, the Goblin General in his Chariot, was able to forge ahead, whilst the foot sloggers eventually caught up!

For those of us with a nervous disposition about the fate of those poor, loveable halflings as the bats engaged, here's a nice pink picture to make you feel better! Bats were useless, fought one round of combat, and spent teh rest of the game being target practise for halfling archers!

The Halfling swords men (elite on the table) were broken by a combined charge by the bats and Stumpy Jason's wolf riders and Stumpy Jason himself risking life and another limb to land teh winning hits!

The action hotted up as the Goblins threat was countered by a swift Halfling flank march that aligned with the Goblin main battle line! Things were looking decidedly dodgy for the greenskins!

But a well timed breakthrough, which should have seen off the Halfling tiny unit of skirmishers stalled for three turns as the Halflings moral refused to roll anything lower than 11! They needed an eviction order to move! Eventually the Goblins won through, but then had to retire shaken from a unit of Halfling clubbers!

Meanwhile the Halfling main battleline squared up to the Goblin mobs, better halfling moral was winning the day, the right hand mob broke and the rest were looking shaky...

Until Biggest Jason, the Goblin C-in-C and his chariot charged in to clear them away under his go-faster-stripes!

At which point the stalled Goblin command finally got moving too and threatened teh Halfling flank, which promptly collapsed!

In the end the battle was hard fought, but the Goblins broke two of the three Halfling commands, and held the shrine!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

Cracking batrep mate - really nice to see some gobbos & halflings mixing it up  8)

Theo

Very good report indeed. I loved the little town with the shrine you set up there. I am looking forward to future reports with even better pics for us to enjoy.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

jchaos79

Great battle,

The halfling army is really great! looking forward to see more reports!

Arsenus

The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

capthugeca

Good report, thanks.

Up the goblins!
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Annatar

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!

DancingPotPlant

Thanks for posting a v good report.
Nice to see the little people getting stuck in!

I think though my favourite bit was at the very start "Both armies do fit in the box" a :D indeed!