Q of the Week - Greatest development of the 20th Century?

Started by Leon, 26 April 2010, 08:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

What was the most significant military invention/development of the 20th Century?

Radar?
The tank?
Nuclear weapons?
Computer technology?

(Edited 'cos I'm a dumbass!)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

The Birth of Dave Pengilly and the formation in 1992 of Pendraken miniatures.

Does this win me some free figures?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

lentulus

Penicillin and insulin.

If for no other reason, because without them I wold probably be dead a couple of times over.

Megamatman

The transistor by miles and miles! The greatest development in the 21st C will be the memrister. You heard it here first  :)
Megamatman

Luddite

I want to say the internet...but i have to concur. 

Its the transistor.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

goat major

I suspect the transistor also. Or tunnocks caramel wafers.
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leon

Quote from: Fenton on 26 April 2010, 10:09:28 PM
The Birth of Dave Pengilly and the formation in 1992 of Pendraken miniatures.

:D Nicely done...

Quote from: Fenton on 26 April 2010, 10:09:28 PM
Does this win me some free figures?

...but no.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leon

Damn it!  I've just realised the glaring lack of 'Military' in my question!  Right then, I'll try again:

What was the most significant MILITARY invention/development of the 20th Century?

Radar?
The tank?
Nuclear weapons?
Computer technology?

nikharwood

dicehead

The more mobile version..

I read if Germany had time to produce more of them they'd have won the war.

Fenton

Quote from: Leon on 26 April 2010, 11:48:06 PM
:D Nicely done...

...but no.

In that case I shall change my vote to the transistor!  :D
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

lentulus

Quote from: Leon on 26 April 2010, 11:49:48 PM
What was the most significant MILITARY invention/development of the 20th Century?

Still penicillin

Leon

It's interesting how this ones gone.  No votes for radar, which saved thousands of lives, and without which we'd probably have lost the war?

And from the two favourites - penicillin and the transistor, which has had the most impact?

Patrick R

- Transistor
- Penicillin
- Nuclear Power

Honorable mention : Radio