BIG NEWS! Please read!

Started by Leon, 25 March 2012, 04:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I don't think you need a  ;) there Bob !
I think (really) that's a damn good idea....Far easier to have something set up on an almost permanent basis....provided you've got the room to do it.
Cheers - Phil.

mollinary

Have to agree with Techno and Bob - photographs on the net are essential.  There are always reasons why not to do something, but this is an opportunity, and with a facility, and a realisable target of so many per day, you'll get there much quicker than you think.  Go for it !

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Bertie

Well done team, good to hear a good business story for a change. Now get exporting and get the country out of financial mess we have ;)
Bertie.

Techno

Queen's Award For Industry for Pendraken soon ! (Not joking !)
Cheers - Phil

Leon

Quote from: wargamesbob on 26 March 2012, 08:36:57 PM
Leon. Don't forget to allow for a dedicated, custom lit shelf in the new unit, so that you to catch up on the photography  ;) 

Quote from: Techno on 26 March 2012, 09:00:08 PM
I think (really) that's a damn good idea....Far easier to have something set up on an almost permanent basis....provided you've got the room to do it.

Quote from: mollinary on 26 March 2012, 09:44:59 PM
Have to agree with Techno and Bob - photographs on the net are essential.  There are always reasons why not to do something, but this is an opportunity, and with a facility, and a realisable target of so many per day, you'll get there much quicker than you think.  Go for it !

As much as I'd like to say there will be a photo area, at this point I'm not sure.  We'll have to get everything else down there and see if there'd be space first, but I know there won't be room in the office.  That would mean it has to go out in the workshop, and all that dust, talc and general dirt isn't going to do the light units or the lightbox itself any favours...

I might have a think about a mini studio, see what I can knock up.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Chad

Congratulations. As many have said it is good to hear of a business expanding.

Again as many have said, despite the price increases you will still be competitive particularly when you look at the fantastic quality of current releases. All power to your elbow.

It's also up to us to continue our support and make sure the move is a good one for everyone.  :-bd

Chad

Techno

Quote from: Leon on 27 March 2012, 12:53:38 AM
As much as I'd like to say there will be a photo area, at this point I'm not sure.  We'll have to get everything else down there and see if there'd be space first, but I know there won't be room in the office.  That would mean it has to go out in the workshop, and all that dust, talc and general dirt isn't going to do the light units or the lightbox itself any favours...

I might have a think about a mini studio, see what I can knock up.

I hadn't even considered the talc !....Dirt and dust, yup !.....But the talc will just get EVERYWHERE.....Be like taking photos through a soft focus filter after a couple of days....probably just a couple of hours, in truth !
Of course you will  have the 'garage' back, at Chez Pendraken....So you can bring your work home with you ! ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil.

Squirrel

Awesome news Leon! The move will be a ton of work, but will make life soooo much easier in the long run I'm sure. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

As for casting while the customer waits - that really is hot off the press  :D

Cheers,

Kev

Avalon

I know you've just published new postage rates, but will you be re-evaluating themm following the news that the Royal mail are putting prices up on 30th April?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17522500

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 27 March 2012, 10:44:02 AM
I hadn't even considered the talc !....Dirt and dust, yup !.....But the talc will just get EVERYWHERE.....Be like taking photos through a soft focus filter after a couple of days....probably just a couple of hours, in truth !
Of course you will  have the 'garage' back, at Chez Pendraken....So you can bring your work home with you ! ;D ;D

Dave can have it, there's not enough room at my house!

Quote from: Avalon on 27 March 2012, 04:10:31 PM
I know you've just published new postage rates, but will you be re-evaluating themm following the news that the Royal mail are putting prices up on 30th April?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17522500

We'd been expecting a price rise anyway, so there won't be any changes to the postage other than the increase to the minimums already announced.  We put everything through a franking machine in the office, so we get a slightly better rate than at the Post Office.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Avalon

Thanks for the clarification Leon, I just wondered as some of the price rises were a little larger than most people thought they would be.  :-bd

Luddite

Quote from: Avalon on 28 March 2012, 08:07:45 AM
Thanks for the clarification Leon, I just wondered as some of the price rises were a little larger than most people thought they would be.  :-bd

Aye Avalon, and all the moaning and carping on by 'the public' on the News channels really got me angry...

I mean 60p!

Good grief.

Personally i have loads of ways to get a leter from Land's End to John O'Groats for less than 60p.

This is clearly Royal Mail profiteering on a grand scale...

[/sarcasm]

>:(

The government (red and blue (and blu/yellow :()) have systematically dismantled the national postal service over the last 20 years.  They hived off all the profitmaking activities (parcel deliveries, counter services, pseudo-banking, benefits payments, GIROs, etc.) to private firms.

All this used to support the loss-making core business postal service.

Then they wonder why the Royal Mail, bereft of the activities that made it largely self-sustaining, now makes massive losses.

When they finally kill off what's left, there won't be a national letter delivery service anymore.  What profit-driven company is going to deliver your letter for 60p?  

60p to send a letter is still massively below the actual cost to deliver it.

Even now, some courier services you pay for actually just hand it off to the PO, typically for the 'final mile' (as its known).

Personally i dread the interent seller that uses a courier or private firm.  I'm never in when they deliver so my package is usually left in some depot 30 miles away that i have to go and collect myself (i now refuse - i've paid to have it delivered to me.  No delivery, i insist on my money back...the company can keep its goods).

The PO on the other hand is a 2 minute walk away in the village, meaning i can easily pick it up.

When the government finally destroys our PO, we will all feel its loss...

:(

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ben Waterhouse

The 1840 Penny Black would cost over £3 in today's prices....

Hurrah

Looking forward to the celebratory "removal van" model complete with Bed, Wardrobe and Kitchen sink on the back. ;)

Leon

Quote from: Luddite on 28 March 2012, 10:25:07 AM
Personally i dread the interent seller that uses a courier or private firm.

I couldn't see it becoming the norm for UK orders for quite some time.  We tend to use it for international trade orders, or anything which is over the 2kg cutoff and would normally go by Parcel Force. 

I am tempted to use the courier for all our Italian orders as well, as unfortunately their postal service isn't the best, and we get a lot of lost packages over there.  It's a shame, cos we've got a great bunch of customers in Italy.