You want what making ?

Started by Techno, 21 March 2012, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

No idea, Matt....It's all gone to Leon.
You'll have to ask 'The Man'. ;)
Cheers - Phil

Dunnadd

Isn't that always going to be just a slaughter rather than a battle? How do you beat massed longbowmen with massed pikemen?

getagrip

Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Dunnadd on 18 March 2015, 07:39:55 PM
Isn't that always going to be just a slaughter rather than a battle? How do you beat massed longbowmen with massed pikemen?

Historically? March forward and run them over. If you can do it when it's a bit damp that makes it even easier.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Dunnadd

Can't think of any battles i've read of where that worked - except for, i think, one out of dozens in the Hundred Years War where the French and Scots had the English hugely outnumbered.

Luddite

Quote from: Dunnadd on 05 April 2015, 03:10:16 PM
Can't think of any battles i've read of where that worked - except for, i think, one out of dozens in the Hundred Years War where the French and Scots had the English hugely outnumbered.

The Battle of Flodden, 9th September 1513

Scots pike phalanxes, well armoured and fighting in Swiss style overran the English archery/bill formations.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leman

Since when? The English bill slaughtered them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Flodden is often taken as a Scots loss.
I think that is wrong.
In fact it was a massive loss!
James blowing himself up with his own artillery helps...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 April 2015, 04:29:52 PM

Never let Scots, Phil or women loose on hi-tech equipment.

IanS  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Parkinson's Fourth Law 'Given a choice of things to go wrong, the most spectacular and/or expensive will go wrong first.'
Bu**er's 1st Law: 'Parkinson was an optimist.'
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Dunnadd

I'm forgetting how late Flodden was of course. By that time the nobles and some of the richer men at arms would have had high quality steel plate good enough to give some serious protection against longbow fire. I'd guess that if it was anything like some of the late Hundred Years War period battles though, not all plate armour would be high enough quality to stop most longbow arrows, and not all the Scots would have had plate armour.

FierceKitty

The points are often made that producing men able to use a longbow needs a level of intensive commitment from society, and that there was a mounting shortage of suitable wood as time went on; bows wore out faster than England could grow yews. By Tudor times, bow wood was being imported from the Baltic.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Dunnadd

Interesting - didn't know they ever had a shortage of wood for them

mollinary

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 April 2015, 04:29:52 PM
Flodden is often taken as a Scots loss.
I think that is wrong.
In fact it was a massive loss!

Wrong James I think, ML!   :o. James 2nd gets blown up by his own artillery in 1460. It is his grandson, innovatively and imaginatively called James 4th, who gets hacked to pieces at Flodden.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Dagnabbit, they should have chosen more original names for their kings, like George, or Henry, or Edward!