You want what making ?

Started by Techno, 21 March 2012, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony58

Quote from: nikharwood on 01 July 2010, 01:01:16 AM
So you should make some  ;)

With inter-changeable insurgents (African / Middle Eastern / Afghan) & multiple weapon variants (RR, mortar, HMG etc)

Go on - you know you want to... 8)

And how about generic militia, and armed civilians for modern insurgency in the West(not just ragheads) with the above mentioned weapon variants and some generic vehicles?

When you look at today's world and the current events in the news, it won't be long before this happens for real :o

Hertsblue

Quote from: mollinary on 12 September 2012, 07:14:12 PM
Phil has produced just what I was after.  My take was, the one on the left would do, at a pinch, for:

Hanover, Wurttemberg, Hesse, Bavaria, Saxony for 1866 and 1870, and Austria for 1859;

And the one on the right, for Austria 1866, and Italy 1859 and 1866.

Anyone any other thoughts?

Mollinary

If they were bare-headed they'd be even more flexible (nationality wise, that is).  :-\
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Only British English, of all the dialects in the world, could say something like the title of this thread. Ugh.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mollinary

Herts Blue,

The first one is bare headed, which is why it covers so many nations. The second one in greatcoat, is a bit restricted by the coat and, anyway, I wanted an Austrian that was clearly an Austrian for my 1866 forces.  Paying the piper and all that!!!

Cheers,

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Quote from: FierceKitty on 27 September 2012, 12:16:19 PM
Only British English, of all the dialects in the world, could say something like the title of this thread. Ugh.

I think it's an expression of amazement or disbelief, FK. "What do you want made?" would have changed the sense completely. Besides, it's subject to the unwritten law: I speak English; you have an accent; he's a bloody foreigner.  :D

www.rulesdepot.net

Phobos

An variation on new RR Hastati and princeps, with sword instead of pila could be great. Also, different helmet decoration, like plumes for hastati, horse mane for princeps and crest for triarii reflecting their hoplitic past.

Luddite

Quote from: FierceKitty on 27 September 2012, 12:16:19 PM

OK...firstly...   :D ;)

[Daily Mail mode]

There's no such thing as 'British English'.  It's just English.  
All other forms of English are wrong, but at least they're trying so we can forgive them.

Secondly...

It isn't a dialect.  
Its the natural language of the human brain.  
People of other nations may choose to make their lives more complicated by translating their natural English language thoughts into another language, but rest assured English is in there somewhere.  

This is why, when we English go abroad we don't need to learn other languages...we simply speak loudly and slowly, and it sets up the vibrations in said foreign waiter's head so that he understands exactly what we want.

These vibrations are also triggered by the foreign type looking at our bright red burned skin, flabby flesh, and Union flag shorts.

Hand gestures and pointing at the menu help too.  We do like to try and make it easy for you. You're welcome.

[/Daily Mail mode]

8-}

Seriously though, i see your comment actually as a positive.  You're right, there is something about, particularly 'British' English that can put such finely graded nuance into its language.

As Hertsblue amply demonstrates with:

'You want what making?'   [This expresses surpise, scorn, and incredulity]

'What do you want making?' [A simple request]

Interestingly, there's a bit of a thing going on in America at the moment where 'Britishisms' are begginning to creep in, often because 'American English' lacks the capacity to express suitable nuance.

For example, during the case of the intern Chandra Levy, American News reporters began to use the British phrase 'to go missing', rather than the American 'to disappear', as it was more nuanced in expressing the uncertainties around that situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19670686

And when you add in intonation, English becomes even more flexible.

'Don't do that'  [a barked order]

'Don't do that'  [a plea for someone to stop]

'Don't to that'  [a suggestion to do something else]

:D

I've presume that other languages have equal flexibility?   :-\

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Techno

My fault...
I should have titled the thread as....
You want WHAT making ? ;) :d
Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Yes, yes, yes.....
But I know what YOU want making Lemmey !
(Should have the bits to convert soon. ;))
Cheers - Phil

barbarian

I guess english is an easy language to learn at a basic level but really hard to master.

Grammar and conjugation are easy...but the sounds are strange and the shades are infinite.

What I hear when I hear english: "Chewing hug from bistoufly..."

Strangely enough I understand english from London better than American, altough I watch more American serials.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Apart from one member of the forum I think we all struggle in varying degrees from time to time ! ;) ;D
'Flat' Southern accents are probably a lot easier to understand if English isn't your native tongue, so I'm not surprised at your comment above !

Cheers - Phil.

Luddite

Aye, Southern's best.

Frankly half the time i've no idea what all these Geordies are gabbing on about.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Quote from: Luddite on 28 September 2012, 02:47:58 PM
Frankly half the time i've no idea what all these Geordies are gabbing on about.

Hehe, no one does!   ;)

I've actually got a friend who writes her Facebook status in accent as well, so it's something like "Jus bin doon toon the noo, and ganna gan hame aboot noo."   ??? :-\ :o :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hertsblue

It even defeated the code-breakers at Bletchley Park.  :-B

www.rulesdepot.net