You want what making ?

Started by Techno, 21 March 2012, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Those are rather good Rob. :)
Cheers - Phil.

quasar42

I was a bit flippant yesterday. On the plume I actually pondered the question a bit. I worried that too much detail would make the plume too fragile, and preferred the impressionistic, but more solid style. On the dimensions of the collpack. Its not that easy to be certain from a photo, and is probably a judgment call, but to me it looked right. For future projects I will propose to Techno to publish photos before they go off to Pendraken HQ so that others can comment.

At the moment I have two projects in the pipeline with Techno: Elite chasseurs a cheval and creating a set of line horse artillery with shakos (the current figures have all collpacks, which according to my sources is correct for guard horse artillery but not line).

Rob

26 April 2013, 02:17:28 PM #107 Last Edit: 26 April 2013, 02:27:44 PM by Rob
I have seen the http://www.retronaut.com/2011/05/photographs-of-napoleons-veterans/ in the past but have never paid too much attention to the old gentlemen in their napoleonic uniforms, until this discussion. What stands out to me is that the coplpaks, bearskins, plumes and especially the epaulets all look bigger than any wargame company models in their figures.

The only thing I can put this down to is that subconciously we interprate drawings and paintings but a photograph shows them as they really are.

By the way I am really pleased you are also getting the horse artillery done. I think you are right in theory about the uniform, but it was the same situation with grenadier bearskins, and there was still plenty of those around in 1809. Basically trying to get the French to follow uniform regulations to the letter was like trying to herd cats, so probably there was still plenty of horse artillery companies still wearing the hussar style in 1809. Thinking about it the Austrian infantry adopted the shako in 1805 but there were still plenty of German regiments still in the helmet in 1809. (/ramble  :))

Cheers, Rob  :)

Techno

Quote from: Rob on 26 April 2013, 02:17:28 PM
The only thing I can put this down to is that subconciously we interprate drawings and paintings but a photograph shows them as they really are.

Very true Rob  :)....But I also think that it's even possible that we each see photo's (or perhaps... make our own perceptions of them ?) in a slightly different way.
Cheers - Phil.

WeeWars

Quote from: Rob on 26 April 2013, 02:17:28 PM
What stands out to me is that the coplpaks, bearskins, plumes and especially the epaulets all look bigger than any wargame company models in their figures.

Some of the uniforms are 2nd Empire.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Quote from: WeeWars on 27 April 2013, 12:42:53 AM
Some of the uniforms are 2nd Empire.

True! Especially those cavalrymen wearing trousers instead of breeches. And some of the colpaks are well over the top (in every sense of the phrase).
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

barbarian

Could it be an effect of the lens ?
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Something new.

Some conversions of some SYW heavy cavalry for Kustenjaeger..... to bearskins.

Comments welcome.....They were 'worked' from an image from a reference pic from K, which I believe was from an Osprey book.
Extra green stuff on the legs is due to these particular metals being a little thin on those areas.
I have been playing around with the height of the front of the bearskins.....Now I'm not sure if they're a little too tall.

Cheers - Phil.

kustenjaeger

Just for clarification these are French cavalerie legere converted by Phil to wearing bearskins and designed to represent German regiments and those French regiments that adopted the bearskin prior to the end of the SYW.

If anyone has any views they would be welcome as I'd like the figures to be reasonably right!  I am sure that patterns were likely to vary (it sounds as if the Cuirassiers du Roi may have had a front plate) but if I can get to 'oh yes that's a French cavalryman in bearskin' that will be good. 

Regards

Edward

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Okay, how do you do it Phil, I've spent all night trying to replace the hand I've just broken off a 15mm figure...

That was impossible!  :'(
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Anyway you can pin it back on Will ?
In truth, if I had to replace a hand on a figure, I'd almost certainly find it far less hassle to remodel the hand, rather than sticking something as small as that back on.
I can just about drill into the leg of a 10mm figure if I have to repair a master metal by pinning it with 'fuse' wire.
I'm guessing that an arm of a 15mm figure would be roughly the same thickness.....But the hand ?....Almost too small to do anything with, I fear.

Superglue and a pair of tweezers ?

Can you pop a piccy up ?
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

01 June 2013, 08:18:33 AM #117 Last Edit: 01 June 2013, 08:21:53 AM by mad lemmey
I was adjusting it when it snapped off and pinged away, twenty minutes of searching the carpet later = lost in my book!

This is very much work in progress, all the painted figures are twenty years old, the boards will be reprinted and that is a head swap on the surfer! Kilgore had to be done as an Vietnam objective!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kev1964

Nice one , like to see a pic when finished,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!

seano1815

Hi Phil... how about some highland bagpipers for the 45 Rebellion....love the figures but miss the pipers. would love to see those added to the range. I'll just stand wringing my cloth cap head bowed hoping ;)
all the best
Sean...