Pendraken history

Started by jchaos79, 21 April 2010, 06:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchaos79

Hi, I am just curious, but when pendraken started? which year?
How was the panoram of other 10mm manufacturers in those days? and which rulestes were hitting the battletables those days?

too much questions...

regards

Megamatman

Pendraken started in 1992....... I'm sure Leon will fill in the gaps  :P
Megamatman

Leon

There were very few 10mm manufacturers around when Pendraken started, someone with a few more years on them can elaborate on that.  We took over casting for a company called Wild Geese, and then began to create our own ranges.  It was a bit of a risk really, as not many gamers were doing 10mm, but over the years, more and more people began to see the benefits of 10mm wargaming.

It'd be interesting to hear other people's perspective on the growth of 10mm wargaming, and how they first heard about Pendraken.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

jchaos79

I started, then. I collect 28mm figures since my childhood. Then was a great gap and return to wargames figures at the start of the 2000. Some years then focus in 1/72 plastic and finally I download warmaster and buy some GW 10mm figures. All change because I was found what I had been looking for those years. A solid ruleset and the perfect scale, for painting and enjoing.

I think I discover pendraken in the net in the web 10mmworld, but not really undesrstand what interesting is pendraken until I see your Sci fi catalogue. (I should say, the lack of pictures in the net of your extent catalogue was a drawback to make an order). But when I finally made one, then I realise the quiality of your figures.

Also love the generic and wierd items of your catalogue (lizardboy on skateboard, I love that figure)

Fenton

I bought some stuff from Wild  Geese years ago, then when Wargames Souths WW2 stuff appeared we bought that ( not sure when that was) for Crossfire, then we bought loads of Fantasy stuff for Warmaster as well...

In between all that lots of stuff from everywhere including lots of 2,3 and 6mm stuff as well
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

clibinarium

Well, my part in the Pendraken story began when I was a student. I bought a handful of the old Marlburian range and....
...was not impressed! So ended my plans for 10mm for a year or so.

But then...
I saw a review of the new SYW range and was well impressed, this one in fact
http://www.deepfriedhappymice.com/html/figrev_sy_pend10.html
Got some packs and was knocked out; I loved them and never have looked back. The old Malburians are actually in that review, and I think are no longer available; I don't think Dave would mind me too much confessing I didn't like them.
I left university and qualified as a barrister; contrary to what you might think earnings for newly qualified barrister are not high; in fact they can be unbelievably low. My first year I earned 3000GPB,  the second year; 5000 (both pre-tax!)  :o So being poorer than I had been while a student I decided to offer to do some painting for Dave in exchange for figures, so some of what might be on the trade stand was possibly painted by me.
About four years ago I decided to try my hand at sculpting, first by altering figures and then trying harder conversions and fuller figures. Dave took a chance on me, and was generous with his help.
Having a miserable life at the bar, earning very little money and not feeling I was making the world a better place, I packed it in, and now I sculpt full time. I'll not be retiring any time soon, but I am a lot happier. :)

Nicofig

And we are very happy you sculpt for us  ;)

Leon

I remember reading that review some years ago, I didn't realise it was somewhat responsible for your association with Pendraken.  I also didn't know you were a qualified barrister, I'll be getting in touch if I ever need representation! 

PS.  We'll have to send some of the LofA stuff to the Deep Fried guy!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

I was thining back to buying figs in the old days when all you had were badly typed catalogues that you had send away your SAE for, then if you saw a range you wanted, you would go down to the Post Office and buy your Postal Order then send it off , and hope to god you got some figs sent back)

The highlight was going to the yearly show ( being in Belfast all we had was Freikorp and Platoon 20) and buying lots of stuff for periods you had never heard of , buy hey they were for sale right there and then

All seems a bit boring now with the internet, but at least you get the figs you want 95% of the time now
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!