New ACW artillery

Started by maciek, 28 February 2012, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maciek

I see that new ACW range can be really gorgeous and will dominate 10mm ACW for years.
I would ask the designer to do artillery crews the way that all figures are cooperating.
The common mistake is to do two crewmen loadind (with ram and ball), another amining (this one with the pole), and fourth firing, while it should be obvious, that all these can't be done in the same time !
So far, the best artillery crews were provided by Perry miniatures:

or these, from AWI period:

absolutely fantastic IMO

Others are also good. Check swedish artillery on this page: http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/store.php?r=6&rule=Historical&id=27
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

I'd expect them to be standing, in a similar way to the more recent artillery crews, like the Napoleonic French ones:

We might add a second set of poses at some stage, but it's not planned at the moment.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Shecky

I'm probably the only person who doesn't like the Perry miniatures. Don't get me wrong, they are very beautiful figures but the detail and animation is too much for me. I'm also put off by the fact that you have to assemble the figures. I was never good at models and I'd rather spend time painting the figures than putting them together and having to file down the joins, etc.

maciek

Standing is OK, but only all are standing.
Maciek

wargaming in 10mm

Hertsblue

I see nothing wrong with the poses depicted in the photo. The guy on the left appears to be pointing out targets, the rammer has done his job and is standing back, the chap at right-centre is holding something I can't quite make out (a map maybe?) but isn't interfering with play, whilst the man on the right is awaiting the order to apply the port-fire. Don't see any contradictions there.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

maciek

Quote from: Hertsblue on 29 February 2012, 09:26:31 AM
I see nothing wrong with the poses depicted in the photo. The guy on the left appears to be pointing out targets, the rammer has done his job and is standing back, the chap at right-centre is holding something I can't quite make out (a map maybe?) but isn't interfering with play, whilst the man on the right is awaiting the order to apply the port-fire. Don't see any contradictions there.  :)
I totally agree.

But it would be usefull to do two sets of artillery crew - one in kepis, another in hats.
The second one could be more animated.

Just like this:

:)

BTW, maybe instead of doing different artillery packs (smothbore and rifled), it would be better to provide two types of barrels for every carriage, and do only two packs of artillery: in kepis and in hats. The cost of a tiny barrel wouldnt be high.
Maciek

wargaming in 10mm

Leon

We can have a look when we get to the crews, and see what is needed.  With the Raiders and dismounted chaps coming next month, I'd expect to see some artillery crews sometime in April or May hopefully.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Legate

The above figures are crafted and painted to a high standard, indeed.  However, for my own tastes I prefer arty teams shown in the postions they would hold for firing the guns. 

Sussex.john

Could you give me a realistic estimate of when you will have some of the new ACW available?

The new figures look fantastic - but I'm finding the wait really hard.

Thanks

John

Leon

Quote from: Sussex.john on 31 May 2012, 06:00:27 PM
Could you give me a realistic estimate of when you will have some of the new ACW available?

The new figures look fantastic - but I'm finding the wait really hard.

As soon as we can really.  We got another master mould done last night, so everything up to the Zouaves has been master moulded now.  So it's just a case of spinning off enough of them for the production moulds, and then getting those done!

So, we might do a special mid-month release for them I think, as I wouldn't want to keep people waiting until the July releases.