Later Romans

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 26 February 2012, 06:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

26 February 2012, 06:13:15 PM Last Edit: 26 February 2012, 06:25:41 PM by mad lemmey
Please note, the first photos are entered in the painting competition, more later!

Command groups for Legio Secunda Britannia (or the remains of Legio II Augusta) and Equites Honoriani Seniores for my Later Roman British Army for AD400.
This was what my Masters Dissertation was on (The Western Defenses of Later Roman Britain, c300 - 420AD), back in 1996/7 - nice to be going back to a really important part of my past with Clibs amazing sculpts!

Equites Honoriani Seniores

Legio Secunda Britannia (or the remains of Legio II Augusta)

Oh, and Kiera in warpaint, who will be leading an allied Pictish contingent when they are made, eventually...

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Great figures, Lemmy. Particularly like the fine minature signwriting on the standards. =D>
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

nikharwood

jchaos79

Wow great paint. Love keira the pict, really awesome

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Got the rest of those first two units finished now I'm outside the constraints of the painting competition!  :P
Legion:

Heavy Cavalry:

Just finishing off some 1866 Saxons, then a unit or two of Limitarii Auxilia may fall onto the painting table in a few weeks!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Lemmey,

If you haven't finished the 1866 Saxons yet, I thoroughly recommend the flags produced by Baccus 6mm. I have used them for my 1870 Saxons, and they work very well for 10mm.   One sheet covers the whole army! I don't know of anyone else who makes accurate Saxon flags for this period at present.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Rob

Stop it...  :'(I dont do ancients any more ....  I dont do ancients any more :'(.....

Seriously, they have a really nice look about them, a kinda dark ages end of the empire type of feeling.

Very impressive.

Cheers Rob,  :)

Techno

Really impressive Lemmy !
Cheers - Phil

Squirrel

Very nice indeed Lemmy  :-bd

Cheers,

Kev

irregularwars

Really nice work on those boys Lemmy. What are they based for?
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thanks guys -
these are based for nothing in particular...
They will eventually have a matched enemy on the same basing. I'm leading the club into 'the true light'  ;D of 10mm at the moment, and these will be my first Ancients army to be used with Hail Caesar, just need to decide what to buy in the future to fight against them - probably Clib's goths (when they arrive), or Sassanid Persians.
Or I would love to do Early Saxons, Scots/Irish or Picts, but it's a bit difficult when there is only one Pendraken figure in their army so far (Kiera)!

Hertsblue

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 March 2012, 10:24:06 AM
these are based for nothing in particular...

Great set of rules - somewhat broadly based, I find.....  :D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

With half term and then two weeks paternity on the way, and the 1866 Saxons finished, it was time for a break from the nineteenth century,it was time to start somethin new.
Therefore last night and this morning I prepped and undercoated three units of Later Roman Militia. I decided to get the 'dross' units painted first, then I can have fun with the 'elites' later!
Now, which units to make them?
Limitarii auxilia garrison from the Hadrians Wall hinterland is my aim, one will definitely be the garrison of Lancaster, just not sure the notitia has their shield designs, so might have to be creative on this!  ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Three units of Later Roman Militia - superb sculpts by Clib, just awesome!
I wanted these to look slightly disorganised and scruffy, but still recognisable as units, dull and dutiful compared to the Legions.

Cohors III Nervionium, attested to be at Maryport in the C3rd AD, but noted as being at Lancaster in the Notitia Dignitatum (so will be inaccurate).

Unknown unit, probably from the East of Britannia with Saxon influenced shields...

Ribchester garrison - possibly, oh hell, the shield design looks nice!

The view I get of them on table...

Techno

Excellent Lemmey !! :-bd =D>
Cheers - Phil.