Armour Decals

Started by Hertsblue, 21 February 2012, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I suspect that you can get the brigade sign painted by hand, yellow triangel with black triangle inside it.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Got some clear laser waterslide paper off e-Bay today. Going to try doing all of the larger signs (plus some aircraft markings) in the next few days. If you hear weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth coming from the south east you'll know I've mucked it up!  :'(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

fred.

Have fun. Remember your printer can't print white!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Hertsblue

Bugger. Forgot that. Should have got white paper, shouldn't I?  :'(

www.rulesdepot.net

Si Tyler

Not completely wasted.  I do a lot of work with Decals on 1/600th aircraft which are a similar (in decal sizes) to what you are trying to achieve.

If you scroll to the bottom of the link below  you will see how I used clear decal paper over a bright colour to tidy up the edges
http://raidscalegaming.pbworks.com/w/page/30016942/Arab%20Israeli%20Aircraft

For your purposes for Yellow over Red:
paint a white area on the model.
Make up your decal on clear paper using yellow and red BUT put a border around the decal in the base colour of your model (remember to keep the border quite thick)
Trim your decal and place over the white area.  The White will allow the Yellow/White letters to show through with the correct luminosity.
Paint the base coat of your vehicle back up to the edge of the decal border covering over the white

Not a straightforward as using white decal paper but will let you use what you have already

Si

fred.

The tip to print tank base colour (eg green) round the edges is top. I'll remember to do that on the next set to make.

Painting a white square under the decals sounds fiddly but is quite easy, as it dosen't have to be perfect.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Hertsblue

Thanks for that Si, I had figured out that painting the model was the answer, but glad to get confirmation from one who's been there.

The problem comes with the white star within the white circle - the tank colour shows through the gaps between the points. However, the solution would appear to be to print the star with the tank-colour in situ. OK, that's the theory....

www.rulesdepot.net

Si Tyler

Unfortunately, Yes

Even with white decal paper you would had to have the base colour on the decal so the same problem exists.  There are plenty of other decal manufacturers for 1/144th vehicles (such as I-94 Enterprises) which would provide you the ideal solution to "normal" decals.  I freely interchange different manufacturers.  I only result to making my own when I can't find a "proper" solution.

As you are not doing a single vehicle (?) then investing in a proper pack from Scotia Grendel for example would be your best route

Si