Delivery of items

Started by Smee, 19 April 2010, 11:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smee

With the likes of Amazon and other online retailers on online dealing instantly with orders and people getting the delivery times that they put out (sometimes next day del), whats peoples views on how wargames companies deal with the "24 hr" society of instant gratification ?

lentulus

For sensible people, just fine. 

Leon

It's something we're constantly striving to compete with, but unfortunately it's just not feasible.  Firstly, we cast everything to order.  We'd love to be in the position to have everything cast up on shelves, but again, not practical, as we simply don't have the time to cast up stock like that.  Even if we did, we'd need the space to store 5 bags of 2800 items!

So we have to just cast them as they come in and try to get them sent out within a realistic timescale.  Now the 21 days in our terms is really a worst case scenario, and we very rarely get to that point, I think most of our customers receive their figures within 10-14 days of ordering, depending on their own location.  Unfortunately, we do get behind on the orders, usually when a trade order comes in, or we have a lot of shows coming up.  The time around Triples/Salute is a nightmare for us, trying to cast stock, and show orders, whilst also keeping on top of the regular orders!  But we get there in the end.

I think 24hr delivery is nice, and I know some companies can manage this, whether through holding stock, more casting staff, or simply a lower number of orders received, but I don't think it's going to be something we'll be able to provide in the foreseeable future.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ben Waterhouse

I think that's really fair enough Leon; better a lovely expanding product range than instant gratification. Anyway anticipation makes the final arrival of lead so much more exciting

lentulus

Leon, the main point is you are *dependable*.  I place an order, I can estimate within a day when it will be in my mailbox. In Canada. That is just *brilliant*.

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 20 April 2010, 02:09:38 PM
Leon, the main point is you are *dependable*.  I place an order, I can estimate within a day when it will be in my mailbox. In Canada. That is just *brilliant*.

Thanks Lentulus, we do our best! 

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Smee

I agree on reliabilty, does play a big role in who I order from. Its good to see a view from "the other side" as it were and the limitations that you have to work under. I bet a lot of the online retailers must hate amazon

Leon

Quote from: Smee on 20 April 2010, 03:20:38 PM
I agree on reliabilty, does play a big role in who I order from. Its good to see a view from "the other side" as it were and the limitations that you have to work under. I bet a lot of the online retailers must hate amazon

Not really, they're operating on a completely different level to us, and they don't sell 10mm!  

:D