Competition Entry discussion!

Started by Leon, 01 February 2012, 05:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt J

if the light isn't good outside, light your figure with an angle poise lamp with a blue plastic bottle in front of it. It does work. Although did it once with a halogen lamp went out for a couple of minute and the bottle melted on the table  :o
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Thanks Matt.
Used to use something along those lines a while ago.
That involved three angle poise 'type' lamps...One each side....And one over the top.....and a colour correction filter over the lens, so everything didn't go too orange ! ;D

Might have to 'bite the bullet' and get another lamp.....Think the little digital camera can correct the 'colour temperature'....As long as I remember to set the little swine to do that.

Must try and get some better results than those I rush thro' at the moment.

Thanks again - Phil.

Genom

I've nicked the wife's natural light lamp she uses for her cross-stitch.

I'm running through various options with my phone's camera and her proper camera, which is taking much better pics but without a Macro lens I'm having issues trying to get all the figures on the base in focus all at the same time!

Can I assume it'll be okay to post what I have from the phone which is at least all in focus and replace the pic later if I can actually manage to get a brighter in focus shot?

Techno

23 February 2012, 09:19:25 PM #63 Last Edit: 23 February 2012, 09:21:40 PM by Techno
Quote from: Genom on 23 February 2012, 08:57:39 PM

Can I assume it'll be okay to post what I have from the phone which is at least all in focus and replace the pic later if I can actually manage to get a brighter in focus shot?

Hi Genom.
From what Leon said in the (currently) last post in the  'Rules and Info' thread of the Painting comp.....Looks like that'll be fine....Intending to do the same thing myself  ;)....If possible !
Cheers - Phil.

Leon

Quote from: Genom on 23 February 2012, 08:57:39 PM

As Techno says, that's fine, you can either send me the link for the new pic, or make a new post and I'll delete the original.

The pics you've just posted do look very dark, so whatever you used for the bottom right will be the way to go on further pics I reckon.  If you're having trouble with the focus, sometimes it's better to pull away from the target and then crop the photo once it's on your computer.  Most cameras these days have enough resolution to still give a detailed shot from a further distance.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My entries are finished.  :D
Now just want to photgraph them in natural light and get them in!  :-\
Techno will hate one of them...  ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Ready and waiting to hate it Lemmy ! ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well, she's up there near yours! My warpaint didn't quite work...
You may have to look at a LOT of Goblins on the way to her though!

Also posted some Later Imperial Romans, going back to my roots and my MA in Roman Military History!
*Sigh*
Happy days, beer was less that £2 a pint!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Luddite

I see that as well as quality, you're also going for the 'blanket bombing' approach Lemmy!    =O
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 26 February 2012, 05:12:28 PM
Well, she's up there near yours! My warpaint didn't quite work...

What on earth is there to hate about that Lemmy ?
Damn good job mate...Love it ! (My warpaint got painted over  ;D ;D)
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Luddite on 26 February 2012, 05:17:07 PM
I see that as well as quality, you're also going for the 'blanket bombing' approach Lemmy!    =O
Weeeeeelll, yes Luddite!  O:-) More magic carpet bombing, looked at what I'd done in the last two weeks and thought - apart from C20th vehicles, I might as well as go for it!  ;)

Cheers Techno!  :D

Luddite

Aye why not Lemmy.

I looked at all my stuff and thought, 'aye, that looks good at 4' but at 4" its rubbish'. :D  Hehe...

Perhaps the competition should have split the categories to reflect;

1.  Looks good on the tabletop
2.  Looks good up close and personal

There are some cracking entries all round though, so it should be a stiff competition this year. 
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

J.S.

Awful light outside..no sun since days here in Munich   :-X
got to use the old pic of my Austrian Infantry..but there are too many figs on too many bases on it. So unfortunatelly no pre 20th century category.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

J.S. - but how many figures are on one base in the unit? I'm sure there is a loophole Leon will find somewhere for your excellent painting (I know he did for some of my FPW cavalry last year, with a judicious crop here and there).
:D

Techno

I know there's still just over a day to go...But can I say many congratulations to all.
I really can't believe how good the standard of painting is (You're all show offs !)...and the quality of a huge number of the photo's is simply astounding.
I'm just going to have to go back to the drawing board.
I might have just ONE more go at photoing Kiera (if that's allowed).
Good luck to the judges !!
Cheers - Phil.