Competition Entry discussion!

Started by Leon, 01 February 2012, 05:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: blacksmith on 10 February 2012, 03:24:33 PM
I had forgotten.
Are the three scales going to be evaluated differently?

It's not something I've thought about.  We've only ever had 10mm entries apart from these ones this year, so it's never been an issue.  I doubt we'll get many more 15/28 entries though, so we will probably put them all in together.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Spenno

Quote from: Leon on 10 February 2012, 03:45:14 PM
It's not something I've thought about.  We've only ever had 10mm entries apart from these ones this year, so it's never been an issue.  I doubt we'll get many more 15/28 entries though, so we will probably put them all in together.

I will withdraw them if people don't agree with it, but i suppose it is they are in the open and not fantasy section.

Leon

Quote from: Spenno on 10 February 2012, 03:56:13 PM
I will withdraw them if people don't agree with it, but i suppose it is they are in the open and not fantasy section.

Nah, they're Pendraken figures, there's nothing in the rules against it! 

There's actually a couple of items in the Fantasy which are easily 35-40mm high, they'd be great entries!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

blacksmith

Quote from: Spenno on 10 February 2012, 03:38:59 PM
I will be adding some 10mm hobgoblins when i recieve them in the post :)
Don't bother please. You know you don't have to. Really.  :D

blacksmith

Quote from: Leon on 10 February 2012, 03:45:14 PM
I humbly think different scales cannot compete among them as the bigger the model the easier to use different techniques and get better results IMHO. But of course I'll happily accept any decision on this regard; I commented it initially because I was highly impressed with the level of Spenno's dwarves thinking they were just 10mm  :)
OTOH, in the anything goes category you could technically include anything in any scale.  :-\

fred.

Considering Open already includes Armies, Dungeons, Monster and individual figures, I'm not sure the scale makes any great difference.

The more the merrier - while Pendraken is primarily known for its 10mm figures, if the 15 or 28mm figures do well in the painting comp then it will raise their profile.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

blacksmith

Quote from: fred12df on 10 February 2012, 08:28:53 PM
Considering Open already includes Armies, Dungeons, Monster and individual figures, I'm not sure the scale makes any great difference.

The more the merrier - while Pendraken is primarily known for its 10mm figures, if the 15 or 28mm figures do well in the painting comp then it will raise their profile.
Well expressed and I agree with that.

Jagger

Have you considered a prize category for "best painting tip"?  Perhaps one tip allowed per photo submission.   I suspect everyone is looking for a few good tips to improve their 10mm painting.  Anyway, just an idea for next year.

Techno

Quote from: fred12df on 10 February 2012, 08:28:53 PM

I totally agree with Fred...I'm sure the judges will take things into consideration as regards scale anyway. (and of course the obvious bribes of bottles of an alcoholic nature...hic !)
If 'he'd' been cast up ....I'd have been having a go at painting 'Jim'...a 10mm scale monster that's nearer to a 'normal' 15mm scale.
I'll just have to make a figure that I think will fit into the Pendraken ranges....and suits my own style of infrequent painting.
Cheating ....Me ? ;)

Best painting tip is a good idea for future comps.
Here's mine.....Don't leave your new brushes in a little tin pencil case on the floor when you have cats.....Under NO circumstances take one of the said brushes...Remove the plastic ferule...Put it in your mouth and suck, to tease the tip together.....Unless you want to know what matured cat widdle tastes like.
Unfortunately I do....An experience I do NOT want to repeat.
For your information it does NOT taste like flat lager ! :-&

Cheers - Phil. (It's made me go cold remembering that.....UGH !!!....Spit , spit, spit.....Wash mouth out, over and over again !)

blacksmith

The Grand Duchy of Cheddar, OMG!  :o
That cute house is hand made?

Techno

Good grief......I agree....
And mucho praise to all those I haven't praised already....You're making me really jealous !
Top notch !

Cheers - Phil.

irregularwars

Quote from: blacksmith on 12 February 2012, 10:05:26 AM
The Grand Duchy of Cheddar, OMG!  :o
That cute house is hand made?

Thanks Blacksmith - yes, the house is scratch built. Each wall panel, door plank and tile cut from thin mdf and stuck together with much cursing.The hill that the house emerges from is three layers of cork tile.

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

blacksmith

Quote from: irregularwars on 14 February 2012, 02:55:43 AM
Thanks Blacksmith - yes, the house is scratch built. Each wall panel, door plank and tile cut from thin mdf and stuck together with much cursing.The hill that the house emerges from is three layers of cork tile.

Lovely cute house

Arsenus

To everyone...

Very good job! Anything Goes entries are fabulous!
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Luddite

15 February 2012, 04:04:03 PM #44 Last Edit: 15 February 2012, 04:07:32 PM by Luddite
You're all mad.  These entries are rubbish.   >:(

Not a painted eyebrow or button on show anywhere, let along properly painted eyes.  

Shocking lack of quality.   :D ;D :D ;D

Aye some pretty fine examples on show so far.  The cheese army is going to be difficult to beat i suspect.  A very nice little offering there.

I like the 'Third Reich' in power armour...just a really simple but effective model and paintjob.

The undead mist bases look fab individually but i'm really not sure on mass...

I like the fantasy army although it doesn't look 'cohesive' enough for me.

So far, i'm not seeing the 'socks blown off' entry though!  I reckon its lurking out there... :D

If i get a bit of time i might dig out a few of my feeble offerings, steal their souls, and post them up for common ridicule.  After all, someone has to come last!   ;)

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN