Help on Hills

Started by Bertie, 29 January 2012, 11:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertie

Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of DOW styrofoam blue insulation boards 1" thick? I am looking at making some hills, passes and gullies for a 2nd Afghan war game. I have seen a video from the states where these were used, and they seemed pretty good at making rock faces, with the added advantage of being light and robust and allowing for one to be pllaced on top of another to make a versatile hill range.

Checked out my local DIY outlets all I can find is a silver backed board called Cal?? something or other, is this similar?

Any help would be most welcome.

Bertie.

GordonY

29 January 2012, 12:55:03 PM #1 Last Edit: 29 January 2012, 01:17:04 PM by GordonY
Antinoci's workshop

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/ £1.25 for am A4 sheet.

the silver backed stuff is a pain if youre using a hot wire cutter

Steve J

B&Q used to sell it and a pink version that is the same material, but different density IIRC. In Bristol, Sheffield Insulations stock tons of the stuff, so may be worth trying them or searching online for local stockists.

fred.

I concur with what the others have said - Antenocitis are good for small quantites.

Ultimately the colour doesn't matter, what you are after is any styroform that is light, and strong. Styroform is so strong when compressed that you will struggle to put a dent in it by hand. I have a sheet with car tyre muddy marks on it, which is still pretty much undamaged. It can be cut (and snapped) fairly easily. The silver paper covered stuff is good - its just the silver paper can be annoying.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Bertie

Thanks Gents, most informative. I will give Antenocitis a go.

Nosher

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

NTM

I am told skips near building sites can often provide this material.
Not that I can condone procuring it in this way of course.  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I forsee a ride in a police taxi NTM - theft by finding.....

ianS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Minenfeld

Just ask the workmen, don't think they would mind. They are only chucking it out anyway !

Bertie

My best friend, who delivers steel work to sites just called to say he has got some 1 and 2 inch off cuts for me. Like you say if you ask, then no taxi with the blue lights.

Maenoferren

Usually the building skips have Kingspan in them, thats the golden coloured stuff with paper either side I have used if for making hods of stuff, I can link to a site if you wish to see... but anyway the stuff works for model making but it will not cut with a hot wire cutter, you will need the blue or pink stuff if you want to use the hot wire cutters.
just had a mooch six  600mm x 600mm 50mm sheets for £50
:
http://new.panelsystems.co.uk/newsc/index.pl?c=Craftfoam&p=510&a=i
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!