Making a 10mm Village base

Started by sam scott, 14 January 2012, 09:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Fantastic!   Love the look, and totally agree with the 6mm buildings for 10mm figures equation.  Great work.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55665103@N03/5158035132/in/set-72157625347117602/

I use very underscaled buildings, narrow but relatively high, doesn't mess with the ground scale and looks good en masse.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Techno

Awesomely good !  :-bd :-bd :-bd
Cheers - Phil.

Leman

Figures will look wonderful on that! =D>
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sam scott

Now starting on a large outlying farm.

I hope to have a few of these of varying sizes that can either stand alone or be used to add to a village.  They won't all be this big.

-Sam

sam scott

Progress on the farm:

I'm now working on blending the buildings into the base by flocking the seam between the building and the base and adding occasional bushes as well.  The point is to soften the hard line there.  I'll also add trees and some bushes delineating the farm yard and path.  I leave enough space for a unit base to be set down later so that they can be visually "occupied" during a game.

-S

sam scott

The completed farm:

And a (blurry) shot of how it could fit with the village base to make a bigger town:

-Sam

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

These really are very nice.   8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mollinary

Sam,

Love it!  You have a real talent for this part of the hobby.  Hope. To see many more, and a few shots of them in action.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

nikharwood

Arsenus

The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

lentulus

Lovely stuff, couple of questions:

How thick is the styrene?

Do you do anything to "prep" the styrene?  I've had issues with paint adhesion?

What are you using for adhesives for the flock?

sam scott

On to village number two.  This one is what our German friends might call a dorf, or what we in the US might call a one horse town.  I love the little church model.

Here it is on its primed .04" styrene base.  I just use regular hardwarestore spraypaint for primer.  This base is about a third the size of the other village.  I have pre-drilled the holes for trees.

When I flock it, I mix paint with PVA glue, and then pour the flock over.  After it's done I spray liberally with Testors Dullcote.  I find this really help secure the flocking to the base.

It looks a little dinky on its own, but I think with a few small farms nearby on the table-top it will be effective.

-S