January Releases!

Started by Leon, 11 January 2012, 03:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

11 January 2012, 03:20:03 AM Last Edit: 11 January 2012, 06:32:37 PM by Leon
After a short delay, here's the first lot of releases for 2012!  

This month's shiny additions come in the form of the Republican Romans, which were previewed on our Forum some time ago.  With these now available, you can get one half of your Punic War's ready, just in time for the Cathaginians which will be following on shortly.  And if you're not sure what you need, why not go for our handy Republican Roman Army Pack, giving you all the basics you need to get started!

Republican Romans - http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Ancients-c9/NEW-Republican-Roman-NEW-sc278/
(All packs contain 30 foot/15 cavalry, priced at £3.50)
ARR1 - Foot command
ARR2 - Hastatii, pilum
ARR3 - Principes, pilum/sword
ARR4 - Triarii, spear
ARR5 - Velites, javelin
ARR6 - Light archers

ARR7 - Heavy archers
ARR8 - Slingers
ARR9 - Italian Allies
ARR10 - Roman Cavalry

Republican Roman Army Pack
Contains:
2 x ARR2
1 1/2 x ARR3
1 x ARR4,10
1/2 x ARR1,5,6
(7 packs total)  Â£22.00

Hope you like them!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Blaker

Aart Brouwer

Those cav look breathtaking..  :-bd

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Leman

Now then, do I go early or late Roman - then again my opponent has Macedonians with no one to fight them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Reckon that wqould make it Early then !!

ianS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

They look really nice, more temptation.

What is the make up of the Calvary pack, as it looks like officer, standard and 1 trooper, which if that is the ratio in the pack it will be a bit standard bearer heavy.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: fred12df on 11 January 2012, 05:28:04 PM
What is the make up of the Calvary pack, as it looks like officer, standard and 1 trooper, which if that is the ratio in the pack it will be a bit standard bearer heavy.

It'll be the same as our current packs, 13 troopers, 1 officer, 1 standard.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toolsey

11 January 2012, 05:58:28 PM #7 Last Edit: 11 January 2012, 06:11:30 PM by Leon
Fantastic figures.

I still reckon those shields are too small though.

Republican shields were not just rounded off edge versions of later empire scutums.

See this version made at Swansea

Sorry I do not like to rain on everyones parade

Cheers

EDIT: Pic embedded.

Blaxkleric

Oh goody, something else to keep me away from my ongoing 10mm WW2 German-Soviet project...  ;)

Rulebook and Osprey Republican Roman Army book have now been pulled out in preparation for the arrival of another Pendraken postal package.  :)

Perhaps the Falkland Islands release could be delayed?  :P

Blaxkleric
http://fantorical.blogspot.com/

Leon

Just a quick note, we've amended the army pack to include 1/2 a pack of Velites, in place of some of the Principes.

Quote from: toolsey on 11 January 2012, 05:58:28 PM
I still reckon those shields are too small though.

Republican shields were not just rounded off edge versions of later empire scutums.

I've had a quick Google, and there seems to be quite a variation in the sizes of the shields on other manufacturers, from a full floor to chin size, through to the smaller shin to neck protection like ours.  I've not got my Osprey to hand though to check the pics in there.

Techno

Quote from: Leon on 11 January 2012, 06:21:05 PM
  I've not got my Osprey to hand though to check the pics in there.

No...You haven't Leon...That's 'cos I've still got it....And from what I can 'research' there IS quite a potential difference....Depends on which 'tome' you chose to believe I guess.
Even the different Osprey books covering the relevant period show variations...(Just as Leon mentions)....So who knows for an absolute certainty.... ;)

At the end of the day, something made in Swansea in 2004 has as much relevance as the osprey books....How tall was the average Roman soldier ?....How tall is the chap in the photo ?...We just don't know for certain, do we ?

Cheers - Phil

nikharwood

Quote from: Techno on 11 January 2012, 07:20:03 PM
At the end of the day, something made in Swansea in 2004 has as much relevance as the osprey books....How tall was the average Roman soldier ?....How tall is the chap in the photo ?...We just don't know for certain, do we ?

I agree Phil - from that fella's paper [here: http://www.swan.ac.uk/grst/student%20papers/Roman%20Rep%20shield.htm ] he says that the source shield (the Kasr-el-Harit scutum) measures 120cm x 64cm...if I put 120cm on my tape measure from the bottom of my chin [a la pic of the Principes] it reaches to the middle of my shin - and I'm 5'6"...so I reckon they're fine  :)

Techno

Thanks Nik.

Cheers - Phil.

Nosher

"Perhaps the Falkland Islands release could be delayed?" :o :o :o :o :o

Bugger OFF ;) :D ;D ;)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Luddite

Quote from: Techno on 11 January 2012, 07:20:03 PM
Even the different Osprey books covering the relevant period show variations...(Just as Leon mentions)....So who knows for an absolute certainty.... ;)

Anyone who's done any actual archaeology or primary source historical research has to know how little these things are actually standardised.

I mean the colour of the British WWII uniform varied wildly for goodness sake!

And remember that much of what we know about these things comes from a very few sources, so who knows what these things really looked like?   :D

Ultimately then it'll come down to pedantry (not in a bad way) and what the individual customer is willing to accept for themselves.

PErsonally i think these look jolly nice indeed.

Having seen the greens on these (i think?) it seems to me it must be really satisfying to sculpt these little chaps up and then see them cast as a range.

Well done all concerned.   m/
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN