Pendraken Painting Competition 2012 Info and Rules!!!

Started by Leon, 06 January 2012, 01:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

After the resounding success of last years debut competition, the 2012 event was virtually guaranteed!  This year it's even bigger and better, with more categories, more prizes, and hopefully more entries!

This year, thanks to the leap year, the competition will be running for 4 weeks and 1 day, starting on Feb 1st, and running through to Feb 29th.  

And this time around there will be 7 categories!  We've split the Foot category, to separate those rather colourful 18th C. types from the endless green/brown/greyness of the 20th C.  Also, we've created a separate category for all of the Fantasy & Sci-Fi entries.  And finally, we've added an extra Open category, to allow entries of any size, from a small snapshot of your army, right through to the whole table if you fancy!  

Categories:

Foot - Pre-20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 10 figures on a single base, and pre-1900.
Foot - 20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 10 figures on a single base.
Mounted - Min: 3 / Max: 8 figures on a single base.
Vehicle - Single vehicle on or off base.
Fantasy & Sci-Fi - Anything Fantasy or Sci-Fi oriented, maximum base size of 60x60mm.
Open - Single Base - Anything which doesn't fit into the other categories, with a max base size of 60x60mm.
Open - Anything Goes! - Anything at all you'd like to put in, diorama's, armies, whole tables, anything!

If you're unsure which category to put your entry in, let us know what it is, and we'll point you in the right direction!

Rules

- Firstly, all figures must be Pendraken.  Conversions are allowed, but only on our figures.

- You must be a Forum member to enter, but other than that, everyone is welcome!

- You may enter as many times as you like but each entry is only allowed a single image (except for the 'Anything Goes' category, see below).  You can combine several shots into a montage if you wish, but still only one overall image.  If you have any difficulty posting pics, they can be emailed to Pendraken and we'll put them up for you.  We'll also be linking some good photo tutorials closer to the start date.

- The 'Open - Anything Goes' category may have 3 photo's, as it's difficult to cover a whole army with just a single photo!  You can also still put several images together into a montage if you would prefer that.

- All entries must be your own work, and have not been entered into any online competitions before.

- You can post WIP photo's if you wish, and you can also post extra photo's of your work elsewhere on the Forum.  These will not count towards your competition entry.

- The winners will be decided by a team of judges (to be announced very soon!).  Entries will be judged on the painting first and foremost, but remember that effective basing can make a nice entry look even better.

- Competition threads will be created on the opening date, purely for your entries.

This year we've got a massive £360 worth of prizes lined up, and we'll be announcing those in the next week, so keep an eye out for that!  Remember, the opening day for entries is 1st Feb, which gives you just enough time to get any figures ordered, grab your brushes and get busy!  We've seen some great work displayed on the Forum over the past 12 months, so we're hoping to see some of it making an appearance in the Competition!

If there's any questions, let us know!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Arsenus

The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

rexhurley

"Entries will be judged on the painting first and foremost, but remember that effective basing can make a nice entry look even better."

As does being able to take a photo in a professional backlit white booth like a lot of last years winners  :'( :'(... :(

It'll be nice to know how we can even that playing field out for this year's event.

Cheers

Nosher

I will definately be entering more of my 'averageness' this year because it was great fun last year.

I find myself a little bit dasappointed that there isnt a specific 'army' category as I have spent the last twelve months paiting armies rather than concentrating on vignettes.

'Anything goes' is too broad a spectrum - no doubt the category will be won by some magnificent oversized vignette which looks spectacular but has limited use in terms of playing a wargame. I will still enter an army in the category
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The two Corps of Prussian troops I used last night, my French or my AWI will all have to be in the army section, as they all have more figures per base than the catagories permit!  :'( Maybe some Jagers or Chasseurs a Pied might qualify...  ;)
Ho hum.
At least my halflings are suitablefor fantasy!  :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

J.S.

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jchaos79

I have a questioin, the kick off is 1 Feb, but wich is the deadline?

Shecky

Leon

Quote from: Nosher on 06 January 2012, 08:41:02 AM
I find myself a little bit dasappointed that there isnt a specific 'army' category as I have spent the last twelve months paiting armies rather than concentrating on vignettes.

'Anything goes' is too broad a spectrum - no doubt the category will be won by some magnificent oversized vignette which looks spectacular but has limited use in terms of playing a wargame. I will still enter an army in the category

It was tricky finding something which would allow Dungeon entries as well, so this was the best all round solution.  I'd expect to see a lot of armies featured in it hopefully.  I've also just amended the rules to allow up to 3 photo's per entry in this category, just the 1 would be too restrictive.  You can still combine a load of pics into a single image though, as with the other categories.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 January 2012, 08:58:08 AM
The two Corps of Prussian troops I used last night, my French or my AWI will all have to be in the army section, as they all have more figures per base than the catagories permit!  :'( Maybe some Jagers or Chasseurs a Pied might qualify...  ;)

I did increase the cavalry maximum slightly as I knew you'd just done those ones the other day, but only up to 8 unfortunately.  Would they fit into the 'Open - Single Base' category though?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

As cavalry have gone up to 8 per base, it might be reasonable to allow up to 15-20 infantry on a base. Its possible to get 12 on a Warmaster base without trying so 10 is a little low.

It will be interesting to see what entries are in open - glad you mentioned dungeons, as I might not thought of it, and it will give me a reason to get some more critters painted.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Photo wise, it's quite easy to create a light booth, which gives you good even light, and gives the clean white background effect. There are lots of tutorials online. In the past for 10mm figures I've created a photo booth from a white hanky and some paint pots, with a normal desk light.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

blacksmith

One question: I'm planning to paint some Pendraken Orcs individually based on 1 cent coins. In which category would they fit?

Ps. (I suppose my Wolfestein project cannot be included in this comp, can it?  :P)

Leon

Quote from: fred12df on 06 January 2012, 05:52:07 PM
Photo wise, it's quite easy to create a light booth, which gives you good even light, and gives the clean white background effect. There are lots of tutorials online. In the past for 10mm figures I've created a photo booth from a white hanky and some paint pots, with a normal desk light.

Have you got any links to useful tutorials, it would save me a bit of time when it comes to doing the other Comp threads?

Quote from: blacksmith on 06 January 2012, 07:57:25 PM
One question: I'm planning to paint some Pendraken Orcs individually based on 1 cent coins. In which category would they fit?

Ps. (I suppose my Wolfestein project cannot be included in this comp, can it?  :P)

The Orcs would go into the 'Fantasy & Sci-Fi' category, either individually, or you could place them into a small movement tray and photo them as a unit?  Or you could put them all on your gaming table, and enter a large group of them in the 'Open - Anything Goes!' category!  Or both even!

Wolfenstein could be included if you want, again in the 'Open - Anything Goes!' category, as it hasn't been entered in any other online competitions has it?