Master lists for the Napoleonic French and Austrians!

Started by Leon, 18 December 2010, 06:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wkeyser

One thing that I noticed that the Saxons will probably stand in quite well for Prussians 1806. I think the uniform was almost the same including the haversack on the hip. Great, now just change the heads on the french and you have the French from the Glory years. Ok so the coat tails might not be long enough but no major problem.

Look forward to the Rev war range, which no one does a complete range in any scale. I also think that you will get a lot of gamers who already own lots and lots of 1809-1815 in 15mm going for the Rev range since they will perceived it as not duplicating.

I just hope you keep snapping that whip so the sculptor keeps going.

One other observation and wish it would be great if you had the gunners in two sets one firing and one running the gun back, as most nations would fire alternate guns so that they kept one loaded, not set in stone of course but it would look great to have every other gun model firing and the other being run back up!!!!
William

Chad

Sorry, fingers not working. Re: the 1806 Saxons. Interested in ther comment on the uniform. I have only seen an illustration as you describe in the on-line German journal. 'Depesche'. Do you have a source other than this as most illustrations/publications show them in a more full dress uniform? I have been holding back on painting the Prussians as Saxons because I could only find the single reference.

Cheers

Chad

Wkeyser

There are couple of books sitting on my shelves at home, will check and send you some more stuff tonight.
William

Chad

Nigel

Not really. Those are the standard prints that I have found. I was interested in the point that the 1806 Saxons may weel have been uniformed on campaign in a similar way to the Prussians. As I said i have only ever found one reference to this and was interested to see what other references might be available.

Thanks

Chad

Wkeyser

Hi Chad
You are correct the Prussians in 1806 seem to have worn trousers over their pants and gaiters, while the Saxons did not seem to do that. In Poles and Saxons of the Napoleonic Wars by Nafziger, Wesolowski and Devoe it is not stated that they wore breeches. However, in 10mm I would have no problem in 10mm to paint the Saxons as Prussians with the brown or grey pants. The other difference seems to have been that the Prussians have a high collar while  the Saxons seem to have a low collar. But it seems to me that Dave would have little problem adding pants over the Saxon breeches and gaiters and easy conversion.

William

Chad

Wkeyser

Hi Chad
Interesting illustration, that is the only one I have seen with the Saxons in trousers. I would think it is a mistake, but it might be some regiments had trousers but I don’t have any other proof so I will go with the traditional view of breeches and gaiters.
William

Chad

William

That was my initial thought, but as it was from a German magazine and the fact that the Saxons and Prussians appear to have been closely allied, it did not seem too much of a stretch. I posted the question on TMP once, but no one offered any suggestions or comments, so I still don't know whether to take it as accurate.

Chad

Blaker

So Leon, that list looks great! 

I too would like to know if you had the time to think of a tentative time to start bugging you about Prussians, British and Spanish troops  ;)

How 'bout now  :D

Leon

Quote from: Blaker on 28 February 2011, 11:38:19 PM
So Leon, that list looks great! 

I too would like to know if you had the time to think of a tentative time to start bugging you about Prussians, British and Spanish troops  ;)

How 'bout now  :D

As if me giving people a time would delay the requests at all anyway!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Blaker

Blaker

Oh Oh, what about Russian Opolochenie units and British Congreve Rockets?  Can they or will they be added to the wish list? 

Hertsblue

The first thing that comes to mind is that if you stick rigidly to your time-table it will be quite a while before the French and their allies get some opponents to fight. Admittedly there will be some painting time required to get either side up and running but wouldn't it be more effective to mix in a few Austrians/Prussians/Russians? Do we really need the Tirailleurs du Po, a single battalion from an obscure provice, before Austrian, Prussian or Russian line infantry?

Just a thought.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leon

Quote from: Hertsblue on 01 March 2011, 06:42:56 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is that if you stick rigidly to your time-table it will be quite a while before the French and their allies get some opponents to fight. Admittedly there will be some painting time required to get either side up and running but wouldn't it be more effective to mix in a few Austrians/Prussians/Russians? Do we really need the Tirailleurs du Po, a single battalion from an obscure provice, before Austrian, Prussian or Russian line infantry?

Just a thought.

As I mentioned at the top of the list, there's no precise scheduling for the range, he's working through it at his own rate and order.  However, I asked him about getting some Austrians done when I spoke to him about a month ago, and we should be seeing the start of those within the next six months.  As you say, we really need some opposition for people to create two usable armies, so that's what we're aiming to have by summer.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!