Vapnartak Show Report!

Started by Leon, 10 February 2012, 07:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Last weekend the 2012 show season got off to a chilly start with Vapnartak, held down at York Racecourse.  The lead-up to the show had been chilly, but nothing too bad, until the Saturday afternoon, when the snow began to fall!  This seemed to cause a little panic online, and we were getting a bit concerned that numbers would be significantly down for the event.

So, Sunday morning we hopped in the van and slowly tottered our way down to York, through snowy roads and foggy patches, and soon arrived at a rather white Racecourse.

There were a good number of club members on hand to help us unload and we were up and ready with quite a bit of time to spare.  

The show got off to a slow start, but this was probably due to people taking a little longer to get there due to the weather.  Once it was up and running the numbers looked strong, and by the end of the day, I think they had managed around the 950 mark, not too far off the usual 1300-1400.  The show is spread over several levels with traders and games taking up the first couple of floors, then competition games, and the table top sale as you went further up.

Things seemed to quieten down a little earlier than normal, again something I would attirbute to the weather, so we got packed away and were on the road around half 4.  Business had been good though, not that much down on last year, which was great.  Next up is the WMMS show down in the Midlands!

So, the games (no notes I'm afraid):

Hull Wargames?

Border Reivers - Irish Civil War

Warmachine

There are some more pics and write-up over on this blog: http://blog.belisarius.org.uk/2012/02/vapnartak-2012-york-wargames-show.html

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

snafu

A really good show. Enjoyed myself immensely.
Particularly liked the big WWII game, some excellent terrain.
Would like to congratulate Chris from My local club, East Leeds for winning best partipation game with Stingray.

And spent way too much money !
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!

Hertsblue

Interested to see someone using the old Young and Lawford Charge rules. I admire their patience moving all those figures individually!  :o
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

nikharwood

Techno

I SO hate your camera Leon....'Cos it takes FAR better pics than my all singing all dancing Canon.....(I'll learn to use it one day !)
For the time being I'll just keep snapping with the little old Pentax....At least that focuses to 'infinity'.

Great shots...Hope everyone had a wonderful time....Wish I didn't live quite so far from the 'circuit'.
How strange to see 'white stuff' in other parts of the UK...When it's 'been gawn' for so long around here.
Don't worry about the cold weather from now on....It'll be much milder chaps...Just spent the morning log splitting...Which means it won't be needed 'til next Winter ! ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

GordonY

Yeah middle of Scotland and hardly a flake of snow all winter, lets keep the white stuff south of the border.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

So thats why the pitch in Paris was unplayable.......

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Eldamarelf

It Was a good show even if the drive there Saturday was a little scary at times forgot how much fun driving a long wheel base med cube transit in a blizard was still got there in one piece with the exception of a few slips and slides. Must admit I had not been up to this show before (way too far for a day trip) nice venue and a nice bunch of boys running it shame about the slight dusting of snow we had which I was told cut the visitor numbers by a third still for 1000 people to attend a show with a good few inches of snow on the driveway is a good start.

Tom H
aka Bilbo