New Plains War Indians!

Started by Leon, 21 September 2012, 04:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyTerrain

Leon,

Any idea on final release date for these please, looking to get my FIW project started early next year.

BTW any interest in masters of 10mm buildings for the indians, started making some last night!

Cheers,

Craig
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Rob

For anyone interested in this period I would heartily recommend *Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown. It is constantly available off the shelf in booksellers. It is full of battles as well as the sad stuff. It covers mainly the Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho wars around the Powder River country. There is also a remarkable chapter on the flight of the Nez Perce tribe in their attempt to flee to Canada.

I was surprised by how little I knew about the period being brought up on the standard Hollywood cowboy films. What really surprised me was that the indian nations won nearly all of the battles fought in the open.

Cheers Rob  :)

sunjester

Quote from: Rob on 08 December 2012, 01:09:32 PM
For anyone interested in this period I would heartily recommend *Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown. It is constantly available off the shelf in booksellers. It is full of battles as well as the sad stuff. It covers mainly the Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho wars around the Powder River country. There is also a remarkable chapter on the flight of the Nez Perce tribe in their attempt to flee to Canada.

I'd also recommend the same author's book on Red Cloud's War, "The Fetterman Massacre". I think it was originally published as "Fort Phil Kearny: An American Saga".

Leon

Quote from: TinyTerrain on 08 December 2012, 10:41:54 AM
Any idea on final release date for these please, looking to get my FIW project started early next year.

BTW any interest in masters of 10mm buildings for the indians, started making some last night!

I think they'll be one of the first ranges released in 2013, so either Jan or Feb hopefully.  If you've got some buildings, we'd definitely be interested in them.  Chuck me an email with some pics, and we'll see what we can sort out.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

Is there going to be a stage coach?  We need something for them to chase :D
have you ever noticed how when the stagecoach is being chased by the indians, the first they notice is when one of the people inside gets killed by an arrow, not the driver or the guy riding shotgun.
right off to practice my whiporwhill call  :P
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Leon

Quote from: Maenoferren on 09 December 2012, 10:33:16 PM
Is there going to be a stage coach?

Yes, not sure exactly when it'll be arriving though! 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Swill

11 December 2012, 12:38:32 PM #52 Last Edit: 09 April 2013, 05:25:17 PM by Leon
Those mounted Native Americans in the original post are great!  

Just a couple of weeks ago I was reading an account of the Battle of Little Big Horn from the Indian perspective.  Let's see if I can find it and quote a bit.  

Here is some from http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/How-the-Battle-of-Little-Bighorn-Was-Won.html?c=y&page=5 :

Flying Hawk said he had followed Crazy Horse down the river past the center of camp. 'We came to a ravine', Flying Hawk later recalled, 'then we followed up the gulch to a place in the rear of the soldiers that were making the stand on the hill.' From his half-protected vantage at the head of the ravine, Flying Hawk said, Crazy Horse shot them as fast as he could load his gun.

This was one style of Sioux fighting. Another was the brave run. Typically the change from one to the other was preceded by no long discussion; a warrior simply perceived that the moment was right. He might shout: 'I am going!' Or he might yell 'Hokahey!' or give the war trill or clench an eagle bone whistle between his teeth and blow the piercing scree sound. Red Feather said Crazy Horse's moment came when the two sides were keeping low and popping up to shoot at each other, a standoff moment.

'There was a great deal of noise and confusion', said Waterman, an Arapaho warrior. The air was heavy with powder smoke, and the Indians were all yelling. 'Out of this chaos', said Red Feather, 'Crazy Horse came up on horseback blowing his eagle bone whistle and riding between the length of the two lines of fighters. Crazy Horse...was the bravest man I ever saw', said Waterman. He rode closest to the soldiers, yelling to his warriors. All the soldiers were shooting at him but he was never hit.

After firing their rifles at Crazy Horse, the soldiers had to reload. It was then that the Indians rose up and charged. Among the soldiers, panic ensued; those gathered around Calhoun Hill were suddenly cut off from those stretching along the backbone toward Custer Hill, leaving each bunch vulnerable to the Indians charging them on foot and horseback.

Chad

"A Good Day to Die" is a good read.