Rorke's Drift for 10mm

Started by crancko, 17 December 2011, 10:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Sounds cool. Will it be ready for Christmas??  :P

The Warlord 28mm set looks great (but is the wrong scale) I think a ready made game pack would be a great thing - if you can price it around the £30 to £40 mark then it would be a great thing to ask for as a pressie.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: fred  12df on 24 October 2012, 10:08:02 PM
Sounds cool. Will it be ready for Christmas??  :P

Can't commit myself to that I'm afraid, there's a whole lot on the schedule between now and then!

:P
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

crancko

coooool! Meanwhile we ordered already our brits and zulus.  :D

nikharwood

Quote from: fred  12df on 24 October 2012, 10:08:02 PM
The Warlord 28mm set looks great (but is the wrong scale) I think a ready made game pack would be a great thing - if you can price it around the £30 to £40 mark then it would be a great thing to ask for as a pressie.

I reckon if you're looking at those buildings in resin, plus an army pack, plus some rules, you're going to be looking at a bit more than £40...I could be wrong though  :)

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 24 October 2012, 10:22:12 PM
I reckon if you're looking at those buildings in resin, plus an army pack, plus some rules, you're going to be looking at a bit more than £40...I could be wrong though  :)

Old Glory are knocking theirs out at £35, so we'd be somewhere similar depending on what me and adr sort out.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

Quote from: Leon on 24 October 2012, 10:27:01 PM
Old Glory are knocking theirs out at £35, so we'd be somewhere similar depending on what me and adr sort out.

8)

Yeah - but theirs doesn't include any figures, does it?

If you can do the army packs & buildings for £35, put me down for 10 mate  ;) :d

Sandinista

I like the idea, thinking of dipping a toe or two into this period and this would be a great way to start

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 24 October 2012, 10:58:54 PM
Yeah - but theirs doesn't include any figures, does it?

It doesn't?  That's quite pricey then...  :-\

vladgothic

Quote from: Leon on 24 October 2012, 11:21:23 PM
It doesn't?  That's quite pricey then...  :-\

Probably the import duties?

I think the starter set for a bare bones intro into a new period is a great idea, gets my vote.

crancko

In fact in the OG 10mm set there is no mealie bag walls or external barricades... Only the final redoubt which seems to be the mealie bags.

The important thing here is to have a compound playable from outside and inside the buildings at least for having the option to allocate 3-4 minis per room.  I Liked a lot the idea to have an external compound for internal fightings. But it should have: Doors (Open, broken), Windows and breakable walls.

In my project I will base the figs depending on the type of units needed on the rulesets I have attached above.  I will wait for the ruleset from Alan to see wether is still valid the basing or not.

Brits:
- Individual bases. 1cmx1cm square base.

Zulus:

I have planned 3 types of basing for them:

- Prince: 1cmx1cm square base.
- Induna (Leaders): 1cmx1cm square base. These are going to be attached to each Iviyo.
- Iviyo:  Bulk of warriors. With 4 types of bases:
        1 Iviyo formed by: 15 warriors
         - 2x 3,5cmx3,5cm: 5 warriors each. Fixed mounted warriors on the base. No removable option.
         - 1x 3,5cmx1,5cm: 3 warriors fixed mounted.
         - 1x 3,5cmx1,5cm: 2 warriors fixed mounted.
        This way I can configure an Iviyo with 15 warriors in a large square are of 7cmx5cm. Hence when there are casualties I can remove stands depending on the number of hits (2,3,5).

Additionally I will have another lot of 30 warriors individually based for: Entering melees in interior buildings, roof placements, move interior rooms, Representing Firing elements or just to adjust figs in an Iviyo when necessary.

In terms of Brits I would go for around 45-50 soldiers and personalities.

What do you think?

FierceKitty

The thing I'm a little uncomfortable with is that all this planning indicates that only one heroic but unimportant action seems to be capturing people's imagination. Rorke's Drift deserves to be remembered with great respect, but basing one's armies so as to preclude the major actions like Ishlandwana or Ulundi threatens to leave gamers stranded with a set that they use once every two years after the honeymoon is over, doesn't it? And the Zulu wars lend themselves to campaigning very well too, so it shouldn't be only actual historical engagments that gamers consider.
Of course, if real fanatics are planning to do big battles with figures on individual stands, I can only salute your devotion to the hobby, and hope you have several uninterupted days to fight in, gentlemen.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

OldenBUA

Quote from: FierceKitty on 25 October 2012, 12:17:03 PM
it shouldn't be only actual historical engagments that gamers consider

In other words, you can expand the Rorke's Drift set with the Dungeon set, and continue underground! Good idea!  :D

(And who knows, if you keep tunneling long enough, you may end up in Meso-America).
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

crancko

You caught me!... I had planned to escape from the massacre digging a tunnel from the Redoubt!. The tunnel was the Dungeon Set!  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: OldenBUA on 25 October 2012, 02:26:11 PM
In other words, you can expand the Rorke's Drift set with the Dungeon set, and continue underground! Good idea!  :D

(And who knows, if you keep tunneling long enough, you may end up in Meso-America).

FierceKitty

Dangerous in South Africa. If you hit gold, Lord Chelmsford's fillibustering ambitions will be just the start, take it from me!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

Quote from: FierceKitty on 25 October 2012, 12:17:03 PM
The thing I'm a little uncomfortable with is that all this planning indicates that only one heroic but unimportant action seems to be capturing people's imagination. Rorke's Drift deserves to be remembered with great respect, but basing one's armies so as to preclude the major actions like Ishlandwana or Ulundi threatens to leave gamers stranded with a set that they use once every two years after the honeymoon is over, doesn't it? And the Zulu wars lend themselves to campaigning very well too, so it shouldn't be only actual historical engagments that gamers consider.

Hear, hear. Rourkes Drift was feted and talked-up at the time simply to take the public's mind off the disaster at Ishlandwana. If Chelmsford had won at the latter battle would we still remember Rourke's Drift?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net