Wargaming in films

Started by Aart Brouwer, 14 December 2011, 11:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Hmmmm... :-\

Not sure now regarding Mid/S/M or New Tricks from what you've all been describing.
I wasn't paying much attention to the idiot box as usual....BUT, if I DO remember correctly (Very unlikely  ;))....Two early(ish) middle aged chaps gaming...The one who was getting his side's bum kicked.... getting into a real old strop....Think it was Napoleonics on the table.....One of the two gamers got stiffed ??

Cheers - Phil.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 21 December 2011, 12:04:59 PM
[...] Brian Lane [...] apparently gave up wargaming as the habit of going to the pub after a game did not help his alcoholism.

Why do "role models" always have to be stupid dorks?

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Hertsblue

As I recall, wargaming featured in the TV series of Callan as well. Figures, terrain etc. were supplied by the late Peter Gilder of Hinchliffe.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 21 December 2011, 03:16:46 PM
Why do "role models" always have to be stupid dorks?

Cheers,
Aart

Because the .00001% of anything that gives a hobby/whatever, a completely nerdy/dorkish/criminal name is something that the gutter press will jump on to make themselves seem really on the ball, and help sell the 'poop' they print.
Sorry....I'm in a fekking bad mood, 'cos I've just been caught between two of the better half's bigger gee-gees and a metal gate....They were having an arse kicking competition....I ACHE big time !...Shouldn't complain..I didn't get my ribs or worse broken.....SODS !!

Phil.

Luddite

21 December 2011, 09:17:02 PM #34 Last Edit: 21 December 2011, 09:18:49 PM by Luddite
Quote from: Kiwidave on 15 December 2011, 04:29:21 PM
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - I kid you not!

Near the end, Truly Scrumpscious' father (a retired gerenal) is playing toy solders with Professor Pott's grandfather (the general's former batman). Admittedly, the game involves lobbing assroted missiles at a load of figures, but it's toy soldiers in a movie! :)

Aye, but thats how you play the HG Wells 'Little Wars' rules eh?  

Now then, not actually a wargame but there's an extended bout of miniatures painting and diorama making in Ronin.  

Michael Lonsdale plays a character called Jean-Pierre who is mostly seen painting little soldiers. 

(Sorry i couldn't find and English version).
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Luddite on 21 December 2011, 09:17:02 PM(Sorry i couldn't find and English version).

Fear my Google Fu.  m/

Teh English version

Cheers,
Aart

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

MooseDontBounce

I remember a movie from the late 70's / early 80's.  Firemen were playing micro armor upstairs in a fire house.  The one character says that his 'Stalin Orgins are firing.'. Then one of the wives came upstairs to fight with her husband.
I thought one of the actors was Kevin Dobson (from Kojak) but he didn't seem to play a fireman in any of his movies.  That's all I remember from the movie.

O Dinas Powys

22 December 2011, 12:50:41 AM #37 Last Edit: 22 December 2011, 01:04:02 AM by O Dinas Powys
Ok, so it's an RPG rather than wargame, but it does involve painted miniatures in a scenic dungeon.

ET:

Apologies for the crap image, but it seems the IP holders are tad restrictive and so this was the only one I could find.

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: MooseDontBounce on 22 December 2011, 12:21:31 AM
I remember a movie from the late 70's / early 80's.  Firemen were playing micro armor upstairs in a fire house.  The one character says that his 'Stalin Orgins are firing.'. Then one of the wives came upstairs to fight with her husband.
I thought one of the actors was Kevin Dobson (from Kojak) but he didn't seem to play a fireman in any of his movies.  That's all I remember from the movie.

;D

I never had any complaints from the wife whenever my Stalin's Organ fired.  :o :P

Cheers,
Aart

goat major

Well if we're moving on to role playing. There are some figures on this table too

My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Raider4

In Groundhog Day, when Bill Murray describes all the people in the diner:

"This is Bill who's been a waiter for three years since he left Penn State and had to get work. He likes the town, paints toy soldiers, and he's gay."

/sigh

Cheers, Martyn
--

MooseDontBounce

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 22 December 2011, 01:00:15 AM
;D

I never had any complaints from the wife whenever my Stalin's Organ fired.  :o :P

Cheers,
Aart

YES!!!! ;D