Warfare Show Report!

Started by Leon, 23 November 2011, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

23 November 2011, 09:26:24 AM Last Edit: 24 November 2011, 12:29:49 AM by Leon
The Warfare show was our last trip down south for the year, and we had a ridiculous amount of pre-orders for it.  Luckily, most of them were placed well in advance, otherwise we might have struggled to get them all done!

Setting up on Saturday morning was quick with the three of us, and Dave pottered off to get he bacon sarnies in.  The hall seemed a little more cramped than last year, with the walkways feeling smaller.  We only had a 12ft stand here, and it certainly was a little cosy at times!  An upgrade to 18ft next year may well be in order!

Main Hall:

Competition/Game Hall:

Trade through Saturday morning was good, with lots of people about.  Unfortunately, the Reading/Newbury Thief turned up again, as someone pinched a pot of paint from our Model Colour stand.  It was Anne from Caliver who spotted him, but the guy disappeared into the crowd before we could collar him.  We let the organisers know, and they got the security to keep an eye on a few possible candidates.  

Numbers in the hall seemed to drop off towards Saturday afternoon, and the last few hours were spent having a browse about chatting with the other traders.

Sunday morning we had a bit of a lie-in until 7am, and headed over to the venue again.  The doors opened promptly at 10, but it really took a while for anything to get going.  I don't think we had a sale for the first hour or so.  Once we got to lunch though, it picked up quite a bit, and we had a decent afternoon.

Forum members were out in force again, so off the top of my head, we managed to see: Mad Lemmey, Dour Puritan, AndyMac, SteveJ, O Dinas Powys, Tiny Terrain, Blaxcleric, Paint It Pink, Bertie, JerryLee, Black Knight and dab.  As always, I'm sure there were some more lurking about, but I've either missed them, or they were keeping schtum...!

Packing away was quick and easy, and we were on the road before 5, arriving back at Pendraken HQ just after 9pm.  Overall, a good show, about the same trade-wise as last year I think.  Next up are the last two shows of the year, with Smoggycon in Middlesbrough, and Recon down in Leeds!

So, to the games!  I've not managed to get any notes on these, so apologies for that!

1st Battle of Newbury - Wargames Association of Reading

SteveJ & TinyTerrain's game!

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leon

And a couple more recruits into the Pendraken Auxiliaries, who I'm sure can identify themselves!   ;)

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I'm the second one (Mad Lemmey) - awful photo!  ;D Missed off the meet and greet list too!  :(
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: mad lemmey on 23 November 2011, 10:12:57 AM
Missed off the meet and greet list too!  :(

Don't know what you're talking about...  ;) :-[

Erik FIC

Leon,
If it is any help, the Egyptian themed game was the RAF Wargames Association Stargate Participation Game that secured third spot.

Erik

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: Erik FIC on 23 November 2011, 10:43:06 AM
If it is any help, the Egyptian themed game was the RAF Wargames Association Stargate Participation Game that secured third spot.

Cheers!

I don't know if there was a games list on the entry leaflet, I should really have gone and checked...  :-[

Pruneau

Very nice eye candy.  Had to chuckle with Blitzkreig.  And I noticed Dr Who and the Daleks with Lego terrain?  My son's gonna be very sorry he didn't see that :)

Some really nice looking terrain and miniatures in there, looks like a nice show!
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Steve J

Some nice pics and quite a few tables that were not there on the Sunday. Shame that the thief is out and about again >:(. At Reveille this Sunday they are actually trying to improve security to counter this.

Rudy, the Dr Who game looked cool and I think it won best participation game. My Son would have loved this also and could have acted as a great creche for the duration of the show ;).

Leon

Quote from: Steve J on 23 November 2011, 08:36:06 PM
Shame that the thief is out and about again >:(. At Reveille this Sunday they are actually trying to improve security to counter this.

It is a shame, as it always seems to be this show and Colours which attract them.  They caught someone here last year pinching from the Bring & Buy.  When we informed the organisers, they sent the security straight to our stand to get a description.  Later in the afternoon they came and told us they'd found who they thought it was, and the security guy had followed them around the show, loudly declaring "Yep, I'm still behind them" on his radio everytime they picked something up...  ???  Apparently they left after a while.

nikharwood

Great pics Leon - it's funny though, looks like a mix of the beautiful and the decidedly mediocre...

Not good on the thief front - I can lend you a nice German Shepherd if you like  :d

Leman

First time I've ever been described as eye candy!
DP
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 23 November 2011, 08:55:51 PM
Great pics Leon - it's funny though, looks like a mix of the beautiful and the decidedly mediocre...

Not good on the thief front - I can lend you a nice German Shepherd if you like  :d

Yeah, only a couple of them stood out visually, and there were a few I was expecting to see again from Colours & SELWG which weren't there.  I think the 6mm WWI looked nice, as did the jungle-y game with all the foliage.  And of course Steve J's game...  :D

Steve J

QuoteI can lend you a nice German Shepherd if you like  Evil
Now why would anyone be scared of a German in lederhosen with a shepherds crook ;)?

fred.

The dog sounds less scary...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts