How to (solo-)play against yourself?

Started by Aart Brouwer, 27 October 2011, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goat major

a long long time ago when i used to solo game quite frequently, i used to find whatever random systems i used were always over-ridden by the 'story in my head'. I'm not sure i would be entirely happy with a completely random solo game... maybe thats just me
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Aart Brouwer

01 November 2011, 12:26:56 PM #16 Last Edit: 01 November 2011, 12:28:39 PM by Aart Brouwer
Quote from: wargamesbob on 30 October 2011, 02:59:33 PM
Something I've been toying with to add interest to my own solo gaming is utilising the turn  sequence deck used in "Lion of the North"  The pack consists of the following cards ( printed mailing labels on the face side of a cheap pack of playing cards will suffice):

Army A: Roll for command points and moves
Army A: shoot
Army A: melee
Army A: try to rally
Army B: Roll for command points and moves
Army B: shoot
Army B: melee
Army B: try to rally
Random card: roll 1xd6. 1-4 turn continues, draw again
                  5 A random event occurs. Consult a prepared events table
                  6 The turn ends, reshuffle deck

The deck is shuffled and placed face down and the cards drawn in sequence. At the end of the bound the deck is reshuffled and the sequence is repeated.

I have found that using this system you can make plans for each side which are continually tested as the cards will rarely fall in the correct order for you [...]

This system is absolutely brilliant, methinks! Both sides are equally handicapped by chance, but any solid plan is liable to be carried through anyway, albeit in a different order or at a different pace from the original idea. In combination with some dummies and a randomised set-up, this seems a very promising system indeed.

Cheers,
Aart

Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

wargamesbob

Glad you like it Aart. I think it adds sufficient randomness to the game whilst still allowing you to be the general in charge of your own plan. I've also found when solo gaming that you need a system to create a random table whether it be by dicing, or drawing tiles or whatever and a sensible system of randomly selecting your armies.  If you create a battlefield from your own imagination then as Goat Major says it is all to easy to play the game you have in mind and not the game that is sitting in front of you.

Recently I have been using the prepared battlefield cards from The Perfect Captains Battlefinder campaign system http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/request.html. They are well balanced and generally nice looking pieces of terrain for 6x4 foot tables. As for army selection I create a deck of playing cards with the information for each unit in each of my armies then throw two, three or four average dice (depending on what size of game you are looking for) the total score is the number of cards that you can draw from your shuffled army pack. I then divide the table base lines into three zones  and dice for the deployment position of each card 1 or 2 left flank, 3 or 4 centre, 5 or 6 right flank. The cards are dealt blind to those locations. I should mention that amongst your army cards for each side, there should be a wagon train, a free choice of unit card, and an additional commander card. I f you want a little more control on deployment you can throw another average die to see how many units you may relocate.

If you really want to add a little pressure then each side should throw the average dice so the two armies are different sizes. Large differences in forces can be made up by allowing the smaller force some prepared defences or late arrivals.

When you have the table and forces sorted out it is very easy so set out some key objectives.  I have a couple of photos of battlefinder tables, albeit as 5' x 3'6"  setups for 6mm ECW in a  photobucket album at http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/wargamesbob/

Have fun...

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: wargamesbob on 01 November 2011, 09:05:49 PM
I have a couple of photos of battlefinder tables, albeit as 5' x 3'6"  setups for 6mm ECW in a  photobucket album at http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/wargamesbob/

Like it. That Ramsey Bakery battlefield looks particularly challenging  ;)

Thanks for all the help Bob. And of course everyone else who chipped in. I've looked carefully at all your suggestions and think I can find my bearings from here on. Me and myself are going to have some fun together.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

lentulus

Written orders are a great help for this sort of thing as well.