Gelatinous Cube

Started by Germy, 17 October 2011, 08:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germy

There are 3 skeletons in it!
But as mentioned it didn't set clear enough  :(

nikharwood

Very nicely done Jeremey - as six says, this is an iconic dungeon adversary & I think your method here is fantastic & easily replicated [I'm going to try to do a couple / variants this weekend] - thanks for posting!

Annatar

Great !!! Must try this myself !!!

Hmmm.... what kind of i'am going to use ?  :-\
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!

Fenton

Very nice

I remember in an adventure years ago looking round the corner and sticking my head into a cube...Oh how the rest of the party laughed...Oh how my character died
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

sixsideddice

QuoteI remember in an adventure years ago looking round the corner and sticking my head into a cube...Oh how the rest of the party laughed...Oh how my character died

HAHAHAHA  ;D  =O

Oh Gosh the the fun you can have with a Cube.

Hmmmm, I think I`ll deviate a wee bit with my "Blob" idea. My original thinking was to make something everyone knew as a cube but without copying D&Ds word for the thing; however, experimenting with my own sculpted pieces and coming up with interesting colour schemes, I`ve kinda made up my own ecology and mythology for this beastie now at this stage... as I have for most of my DW 10mm monsters and races.

Hmmmm, maybe I need to put together a proper Dungeon World Bestuary  :-\

Six

sixsideddice

... would help if I could actually spell it

"""Bestiary"""

Squirrel

Quote from: sixsideddice on 17 February 2012, 12:50:45 PM
... would help if I could actually spell it

"""Bestiary"""

=O =O

Good idea actually :-bd

Cheers,

Kev

O Dinas Powys

21 August 2012, 09:47:10 PM #22 Last Edit: 21 August 2012, 09:54:04 PM by O Dinas Powys
Ok, time to resurrect this ancient beast!

I was in Hobbycraft the other day and spotted this stuff:

Looks like it might be just the ticket, from the Woodland Scenics website http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/C1206/page/1:
QuoteEasy to use. Good for deep, single pours. No measuring or mixing. Just heat and pour E-Z Water according to package directions, to form ponds, streams, rivers and harbors. Non-toxic, low-odor product that hardens in minutes.

If I ever have the need for a swarm of cubes I shall let you know the results! ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice resurrection, as the assassin said to the cleric!

They also sell it in the Model Zone shops, I noticed it the other day and did wonder if it was any good...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 August 2012, 09:52:29 PM
Nice resurrection, as the assassin said to the cleric!
Thank you!  :-bd

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 August 2012, 09:52:29 PM
They also sell it in the Model Zone shops, I noticed it the other day and did wonder if it was any good...
I suppose when it comes in roughly pint bags, you could treat them as disposable if they are too fragile or clagg up horribly with dust!   ;)

far4ngn

I lost loads of good adventurers to those damn things!

Poggle

I didn't find EZ Water that easy, to be honest. It needs heating up to melt the nodules. It isn't a whole lot of fun on a bun to handle scalding hot material quickly enough to be effective before it solidifies. Great care is needed.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Poggle on 24 August 2012, 02:16:59 AM
I didn't find EZ Water that easy, to be honest. It needs heating up to melt the nodules. It isn't a whole lot of fun on a bun to handle scalding hot material quickly enough to be effective before it solidifies. Great care is needed.

Worth knowing, thanks  :)

If anyone were mad enough to try, how do you think it would work?  On a quick websearch I found a tutorial on making dolls house water features.  There were pictures of cast E-Z water free-standing, but it said it was quite brittle.  Do you think it would survive table-top use?

Cheers,

Meirion

Poggle

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 24 August 2012, 09:24:42 PM
Worth knowing, thanks  :)

If anyone were mad enough to try, how do you think it would work?  On a quick websearch I found a tutorial on making dolls house water features.  There were pictures of cast E-Z water free-standing, but it said it was quite brittle.  Do you think it would survive table-top use?

Cheers,

Meirion

EZ Water is brittle. For tabletop use I'll say a provisional 'yes,' but I'd go with depth and compactness - no thin or shallow streams or river sections, or marshy patches; they simply wouldn't survive much handling. As mentioned it is a bugger to work with, due to the need to heat it, and you have to work fast for it to be any use as it solidifies very quickly. Personally I'd go with Envirotex Lite, or, failing that, several coats of varnish.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Poggle on 24 August 2012, 10:04:02 PM
EZ Water is brittle. For tabletop use I'll say a provisional 'yes,' but I'd go with depth and compactness - no thin or shallow streams or river sections, or marshy patches; they simply wouldn't survive much handling. As mentioned it is a bugger to work with, due to the need to heat it, and you have to work fast for it to be any use as it solidifies very quickly. Personally I'd go with Envirotex Lite, or, failing that, several coats of varnish.

Ok, cheers.  However, talking specifically about a Gelatinous Cube(which would be about 30mm an edge to fit in with the resin dungeon pieces), how do you think it would fare then?

Since you mention it, how would Envirotex Lite fare?

The chief selling feature of the E-Z water was that I'd seen it in Hobbycraft, its purported easy of use and relative cheapness.  Envirotex Lite seems readily available on-line.  How easy is it to use?

Cheers,

Meirion