1870 - A quiet night for the Wurttenbergers!

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 14 October 2011, 10:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

X Corps Prussians and Wurttenberg division saw action last night against Frossards II Corps of French.
Black Powder rules, mini dice are casualties and black smoke is disordered.
Four player game.
The Wurttenbergers had a lot of fun trying to get moving with only 1 general, whereas the Prussians managed to blunder three times, and each time charge forwards three moves! Curses!
I was French with a new player, and spent most of the night trying to unjam our mitrailleuse in our right-hand division (the left-hand division was devestating)!
We tried to advance our Fench towards the road junction, but being unreliable forced most of our rolls to leave a very stagnant French command, defending a rear line!

French caught up by small deployment area.

Told you it was cramped!

Lots and lots of Wurttenbergers coming out the box!

The entire allied German, one Prussian Division is still at arrive (next turn). Wine gums left on table to annoy Nik!  ;)

About the only successful Wurttenberg move!

That is a LOT of Wurttenberg guns! (The left hand unit of Prussians shouldn't have been there)

The French right.

...and this is what happens when your French division sits in front of those guns! Admittedly this was the second turn of firing, the first turn every hit was saved!
Leading to...

As the division pulled back into the cover of the woods, the rearmost French infantry unit is routing!

Meanwhile on the left, the French had a bit more success, despite spending three turns trying to get off the road they were on to face the fast advancing Prussians...

After the second blunder, the Prussians were looking strong.

The French left-hand division, stalled on the road!

However, this charge by French Dragoons dealt with two units of guns turned the game for the French. Their accompanying cuirassiers dealt with a Prussian Cavalry division; breaking a unit of Hussars and their accompanying artillery, the French dragoons were hit by a Prussian Kurrasier and Uhlan Brigade and broke, with tales of honour and many portraits of glorious cavalry charges to be painted! However, this combat also this shook the Kurrasiers and forced the disintegration of the Prussian cavalry.
This brave and bold move by Forton's French Cavalry allowed the French to  hold up the advance of the Prussians for at least three turns. Much glory, captured standards and honour to all the French Cavalry, even though they were eventually shot away by the Brunswickers.

Finally the French form line and throw the Prussians back with devastating fire.

The game ended in a slight win for the French, but as usual, they withdrew during the night, leaving the Prussians in command of the field (much to the Frecnh infantry's disgust)!
(For those BP fans, we will be editing the spreadsheet we sent out this week with a few amendments for those who are interested)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Nice units, Lemmy, but how come you didn't get to use your brand-new Wurttembergers yourself?  :'(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I was being nice! They were a real challenge with all those units and only one general!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: mad lemmey on 14 October 2011, 10:45:49 PMWine gums left on table to annoy Nik!  ;)

I can see Nik knocking that Guinness spectacle case off the table ("Oops, sorry!") and me stepping on it with my trusty size 9 ("God I'm clumsy!").  :P

Just kidding, brother mad lemmey. I love the report. Eye candy is great, but it's the table where it's at.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

16 October 2011, 10:18:12 AM #4 Last Edit: 16 October 2011, 10:21:00 AM by mad lemmey
Thanks for the comment.
Didn't spot Mark's glasses case until you mentioned it!  :D I'd have thought the GIANT dice would be enough to get your hackles up, but not their box! They were when they hit the table and nearly flattened the entire Wurttenberg line!  ;D
Terrain: Yeah it's okay, but still needs work - still want to get the terrain right, building and wall are great, but I use the club mats, but might have to bite the bullet and buy a GW fluffy mat to suit my bases! This was a spartan terrain table - most of the FPW battles feature fairly open terrain, or great long ridges of wooded hills (also on the purchase list)! You ought to see my 15mm western front tables...  ;)

Leman

Had my first Black Powder game last week (AWI). What a terrific set of rules. Most fun I've had since  Bloody Barons was released. I will certainly be using these for FPW and SYW as they are like a toolkit which can be tweaked for different periods within their 200 year span. Great fun!
DP
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nosher

I now know why you're forum name begins with MAD ;)

Should it be followed with 'as a box of frogs'?? Would like to see you're BP conversions for FPW - which forum were they posted on?

Cheers
N :P
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

nikharwood

Hell's teeth: sweets, enormous novelty dice & a Guiness glasses case? Are you trying to kill me?  ;)

Aart's plan would be the one I'd follow  :D

Other than that - great looking stuff & really does make me want to get cracking with my own FPW stuff  8)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Nosher on 16 October 2011, 09:31:04 PM
I now know why you're forum name begins with MAD ;)

Should it be followed with 'as a box of frogs'?? Would like to see you're BP conversions for FPW - which forum were they posted on?

Cheers
N :P
They're on an email Nosher, mail me atmadlemmey at hotmail dot com and you can have the latest 'tweaked' version!

Nik - that was the opponents side, our was clear because we couldn't get teh French off the base line!  ;) ;D

Nosher

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Hertsblue

Quote from: nikharwood on 16 October 2011, 11:20:11 PM
Hell's teeth: sweets, enormous novelty dice & a Guiness glasses case? Are you trying to kill me?  ;)

One of our club members brought along a set of dice like those. They were made of granite. I forget where we buried him.... :d
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net