Where to order/buy N scale (cast) model trains?

Started by Aart Brouwer, 14 October 2011, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aart Brouwer

14 October 2011, 09:49:54 PM Last Edit: 14 October 2011, 11:00:23 PM by Aart Brouwer
I want to use a stretch of railroad plus a steam engine and some box cars for a 10mm WWII Eastern Front game. I can find electric train retailers by the dozen, but I can't seem to find manufacturers or sellers of cast models in N scale. Can anyone suggest a webite or address, maybe even a brand?

Cheers,
Aart

Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

GrumpyOldMan

14 October 2011, 10:26:39 PM #1 Last Edit: 14 October 2011, 10:31:15 PM by GrumpyOldMan
Hi

There are N scale (1/160) and N gauge (1/148), if you really require a cast train in N scale, I'm not sure that I have seen anything. Both fit on N gauge tracks. In N gauge there are the Del Prado series of non-running trains such as this:-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/jamiericky2009/Del-Prado-Trains-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=2646062016&_sid=978420916&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_sop=2&_sc=1

Note I've just seen some websites that list these trains as N scale (1/160), so confusion reigns in this area as well.

I've only found them available from eBay. Sometimes you have to be creative in the choice of nationality and find a Japanese train running around the English countryside.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Aart Brouwer

14 October 2011, 10:58:27 PM #2 Last Edit: 14 October 2011, 11:00:51 PM by Aart Brouwer
Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 14 October 2011, 10:26:39 PM
I've only found them available from eBay. Sometimes you have to be creative in the choice of nationality and find a Japanese train running around the English countryside.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Nice find, Grumpy, thank you! I forgot to mention it's for the Eastern Front. And yes, even a 'lend-lease' engine from the Indian or Peruvian railways would do. But I've already seen a neat SU 1-3-1 (1925 Soviet build) in that eBay list, so who knows, it may be running cross my table soon.

Cheers,
Aart

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

OldenBUA

Hi Aart, the Del Prado trains are certainly your best bet. A collegue of mine who is into this picked up two of these for me at a local meeting of model railroaders at 10 Euros for the pair. So you could check when the next 'treinenbeurs' is in your area. Also a good time to pick up some 2nd hand tracks and box cars.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: OldenBUA on 15 October 2011, 05:14:05 PM
Hi Aart, the Del Prado trains are certainly your best bet. A collegue of mine who is into this picked up two of these for me at a local meeting of model railroaders at 10 Euros for the pair. So you could check when the next 'treinenbeurs' is in your area. Also a good time to pick up some 2nd hand tracks and box cars.

Another fine suggestion. Thanks OldenBUA.

Treinenbeurs here I come.  :-h

Cheers,
Aart

Leman

I've bought N gauge engines and rolling stock on E Bay. The engines were del prado models, i.e. not electric but very well finished plastic models.
DP
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!