Worst Historical War Film

Started by Martyn, 09 April 2010, 09:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

Speaking as a cavalry re-enactor sharpe always reminds me of a small re-enactment event. Well apartfrom the explosions, that is.
NAff films oooooh
Patriot
Braveheart -aaaaargggggghhhhh! the bloke spoke Latin and appealed to the pope... he didnt wave his bottom and wear tartan! A mate of mine one met the historical advisor to the film.... Upon being asked why he even admitted it, his reason was... you should have seen it before I got hold of it!
Pearl harbour
Thats all I can think of off the top of my head
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Sean Clark

"PARRRRRLIAMENT!"

How about "Zulu Dawn" with Burt Lancaster and Bob 'Oskins.

For the AWI, Al Pacino in 'Revolution' was pretty bad.

'The Thin Red Line' was a bit of a turn off too.

God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Stuart

The recent thing on Channel 4, 1066 - The Battle For Middle Earth. Absolutely shocking lack of historical depth. It could have been so, so, so much better.

DanJ

Paschendaele - some bits are visually very good but the storyline is terrible and the overall effect is one of a huge missed opporunity.

Alexander Nevski - I've been trying to get hold of this for years and it was so disapointing :(

FierceKitty

I really enjoy the Eisenstein. Astonishing what he brought off without one zoom shot! And the cutting of that muster of the peasants - if that disappointed you, you must set amazingly high standards.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

YORSTONS

Battle of the Bulge, Zulu Dawn and Sparticus get my votes. When there repeated on tv they get worse each time you watch them.

clibinarium

12 August 2010, 05:56:53 PM #36 Last Edit: 12 August 2010, 05:58:31 PM by clibinarium
I thought Alexander Nevsky was very impressive for its time (though its blatantly propaganda). Here's an interesting comparison of the scratchy old soundtrack and the same scene with a more recent recording of Prokoviev's music.

I think a lot of old films would benefit from a musical facelift or even different soundtracks altogether.

Old
From about 5.30 onwards

Updated

Zbigniew

My votes for biggest failures:
U-571 - total crap and bulls..t How could such a fine actors like Kretschmann and Keitel play in such a lie (and this John Bon Jovi killed me really  :D )
The old Enemy Below movie with Robert Mitchum was thousands times better in every way possible

Battle of Ardennes with Henry Fonda - how could such a fine actor like Fonda play in ... oh, I repeat myself

DanJ

QuoteHow could such a fine actors like Kretschmann and Keitel play in such a lie

Money?

DanJ

I think the reason I didn't Like Nevsky more was expecting far more than was delivered.

I saw a newly cleaned copy and the nicely photographed bits were the famous scenes we see all the time, with most of the scenes failing to match the best and the acting letting the whole thing down.

clibinarium

Quote from: Leveller Mutineer on 28 May 2010, 10:09:45 AM
I'll buck the trend here and go for 'Cromwell'.

Well it does have the distinction of being the Rev. Ian Paisley's favourite film!
That was my first clue that it might have accuracy "issues"

Zbigniew

Quote from: DanJ on 17 August 2010, 02:40:09 PM
Money?

Yes thats for sure, but its sad to see them doing it. Good films are rare and they would starve to death waiting for
the roles.  ;)

macbride95

Well U 571 is not only a bad movie: it is a shame ( Mel G is not playing a torpedo in the bonus ? ;D )

As an AWI fan Mel 's Patriot makes me sick: by the way I know now why the british troops had not any chance to win the war: Mel with his flag is such a tremendous picture BRRRRR.  :d

I stumble on it a few months ago but the french movie Napoleon with Christian Clavier is wonderfully awful : this guy may be a 50 years old actor and it is very funny to see him on the bridge at Arcola  ;D!! All the casting is a nightmare and the uniforms are a pity.

The_Shootist

Ooh God where do i start?

Tobruck.
Bridge too far. (As vague as possible)
Windtalkers (Everything explodes into a fire ball)
We were men (Mel Gibson again), notice the recurring theme..
Troy
The 300, were did the Troll come from?

FierceKitty

AND the elephants, AND the metal-masked men, AND ....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.