Worst Historical War Film

Started by Martyn, 09 April 2010, 09:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

OK so we've probably seen most of them time and time again but doesn't it get on your t*ts when they go OTT or are just simply crap. So lets have your favourit crap historical war films of all time: For me Braveheart and Patriot (Is Mel Gibson a common feature here?) better things get flushed down the drain. Over to you....

Leon

Haha, I'm not surprised to see Braveheart come up straight away!

It's not a film, but the cannon balls exploding in the Sharpe's series winds me right up.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dazza

Anythign with Mel Gibson in it- Anti British - cant stand the moron.....
Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

Luddite

I'll agree.  Mel Gibson's Patriot and Braveheart films are appauling...and dangerous propaganda actually.

Now then.  Worst historical film?  Difficult to say, but here are a few contenders...

Zulu.  One of the best action/war films ever made, but utterly wrong on almost every point as a historical film.

Gladiator.  Terrible portrayal of the historical aspects of the Roman army, Roman politics and society, and indeed of Gladiators.

Pearl Harbour.  Not just one of the worst historical movies, one of the worst movies ever...full stop.

Savng Private Ryan.  Dreadfully innacurate portrayal of pretty much everything about D-Day and D-Day+.  Not talking about the basic plot of the film here, but all the dressing and peripherals...
That said realism of the protrayal of combat is apparently pretty close.

Which is the worst?  Actually i'll go with any film that reinvents history, so i'll plump for U571.  An absolutely disgraceful example of the reinvention of history WWII which Hollywood movies perpetrate on the world.   >:(

QuoteIt's not a film, but the cannon balls exploding in the Sharpe's series winds me right up.

Yeah me too.  I guess its easier to film a bit of pyrotechnics than a bouncing solid ball of iron.  Plus the effect of those balls would make Sharpe an 18R rated programme eh?
...however, there was explosive shot used in the period as i understand...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

lentulus

Battle of the Bulge -- At least they could have filmed it somewhere with snow and trees!  The snow might have covered the truly awful plot!

goat major

Damn beaten to it by a legion of fellow Gibson haters !

The Patriot is shocling , truly truly dismal.

My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

DanJ

QuoteYeah me too.  I guess its easier to film a bit of pyrotechnics than a bouncing solid ball of iron.  Plus the effect of those balls would make Sharpe an 18R rated programme eh?
...however, there was explosive shot used in the period as i understand

It was shell, basically a hollow ball filled with gunpowder and with a bit of slow fuse sticking out but it was only used by mortars and howitzers, not field artillery.  The British had a version which included musket balls in the shell, the first shrapnel shell.

As for bad films, what about Alexander?

FierceKitty

I agree with you all, but don't forget Spartacus. That must get in, if only for the waste of an expert director.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

nikharwood

Which one? I quite enjoyed the modern one...

The_Shootist

saving Private ryan is as far a steh sight and sound of battle is scarily close, the sound of bullets impacting into bodies( the bit were the Sdkfz 251/1 gets taken out by bazooka and Tom hanks guns down the crew), not to mention the opening sequence. After that its crap.

Most War films are ruined by the Hollywood effect.

dicehead

I vote for Pearl Harbour, it's definitely one of the worst films I've paid cold hard cash to see. Mangled history meets mawkish romance. How close to historically accurate is it? As Bluto says in Animal House "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?"

jchaos79

Quote from: dicehead on 24 April 2010, 02:58:17 PM
I vote for Pearl Harbour, it's definitely one of the worst films I've paid cold hard cash to see. Mangled history meets mawkish romance. How close to historically accurate is it? As Bluto says in Animal House "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?"

I do not know if it is the worst movie, but for sure more bore!... mmm maybe is in the "low" 10 listed (for me)

privateer

They can film cannon shot well - the M*& G%#*%n film Patriot had great effects for both shot and shell as did Sharpe on one of the sieges,
well the worst war film ever - Angel in Green (1987). I worked on this and most of us changed our names in the credits because it was bad and for tax reasons.
It got 9 stars on the Technical Goof rating in IMDb. I would not be surprised if no one has this as it was classy production that went "direct to video" in most countries.

Leon

Quote from: privateer on 03 May 2010, 05:12:26 AM
They can film cannon shot well - the M*& G%#*%n film Patriot had great effects for both shot and shell as did Sharpe on one of the sieges,
well the worst war film ever - Angel in Green (1987). I worked on this and most of us changed our names in the credits because it was bad and for tax reasons.
It got 9 stars on the Technical Goof rating in IMDb. I would not be surprised if no one has this as it was classy production that went "direct to video" in most countries.

A movie-maker in our midst!  :o   :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sixsideddice

Probably have to go with Sharpe, though I do like the series enough to own the DVD set.

I sometimes have to suppress a few belly laughs when I see  half a dozen men trying desperately to  look like a proper company; a marching column advancing on their enemy comprising less men than you`d find in a football team kinda loses the sense of suspension of disbelief for me.

.... those exploding cannon balls do add comic relief don`t they  :-\ A few bouncing balls would have been nice to see.

Steve.