Hello from germany's western front

Started by Alarich, 25 September 2011, 05:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alarich

Hi guys.

First of all, I have to confess: I'm not quite on your side...

I'm 47 years old, married, and have two children and I'm "in the hobby" for quite a while. As a child, I played with 1/72scale figures... and this left me with a general interest in uniforms and military. Then unfortunately other topics caught my interest (school, girls,...), but many years later, I bought a uniform book, and in in the advertisements at the back of it, I learned of tin figures (they were 30mm and flat. I don't know, if this kind of figures is known outside the german-speaking-sphere... they look good from two sides (let's say left and right view, but fom front and rear, they are just 2mm "thick"). Of this kind, I collected quite a view, and focussed on second punic war, just the "Hannibal"-thing... But again, interest dwindled...(the girls then were a bit older, than the last ones)

Then came the Lord-of-the-rings-films... In one of the DVD's was an advertisement of GW for their range of figures.. and I fell in love with them.
So my last years of hobby-activity were filled with them.

I was never a gamer, more the collect-and-paint-and-place-them-on-the-table-and-order-the-next-box-type...

But I was always a friend of huge amounts of figures on the table... Despite, that I have quite a lot of figures (to storm Helm's Deep, it needs" thousands... ten's of thousands..."), even this didn't look right. So again, my hobby-motivation faded away. And too much time was spent on the computer, instead of painting hordes of Uruk-Hai.
But there, I learned about other scales... other figures... and brought to my mind an old love of mine: the seven-years-war.

So all I knew was, that the new figures would be much smaller, than the ones, I had cared for in the past. And I'm quite undecided until now...

I ordered some 7YW-Pendraken (and a rule-set called "Die Kriegskunst") by a retailer, and some 7YW-stuff in 6mm by another recommended producer.
(official Pendraken staff: Did you get an order for 7YW-Austrians from Worean/Germany... this is mine!!!).

So the 6mm-guys arrived within a week... and they look quite awesome. But I'm not quite shure, if they fill my needs.

While awaiting the good news of my retailer, that the 10mm-stuff has arrived, I spent my time with painting the 6mm-ones (we are all adults here, so I can confess: they are from Baccus).
I had some experience with 10mm-figures, as a GW-follower I also bought some warmaster-figures. But when the 6mm regiments arrived, I was quite surprised, how very-very-very small they are... Painting them is kind of challenge to me... thoughts of buying an Optivisor came to my mind...
But they do look good!!
But I'm undecided, if I don't want a little bit more of uniform-details, at least the 7YW-Prussian-uniforms are so well documented and in this so..."german"

So now I'm awaiting the performance of the 10mm-Pendraken troops...
(already ordered some Prussians by Pendraken directly, and if they were to arrive before my retailer's order, then he can go to hell...).

And I learned a first lesson in historic wargaming: BASING IS A SCIENCE

My own conclusion is: I will base, as will look good to me (representing every company, at least for 7YW, as the climax of linear tactics, with it's own base) , and if I were ever to play with my battallions, I have to adept the rules to my basing-scheme.

So it is an open race...
Baccus arrived sooner, look's good, but is maybe a little too tiny...
I'm very interested in Pendraken and will spread my final conclusion in the forum... And in the meantime listen to hard-rock and heavy-metal music and paint another batallion of 6mm... until Pendraken-soldiers arrive.

With very kind regards

Alarich

(I just suppose, that this is a very-early form of my real first-name "Ulrich", which my parents choose for me. By the way: I don't quite understand, why in electronic media everyone has to appear with a "pseudonyme"... )

FierceKitty

Wilkommen!
   I myself do pike-and-shot in 10mm, and the SYW (my other interest) in 6mm. For me, a lot of Old Fritz's battles are about large numbers of very uniform troops marching and firing in perfect unison; I think 6mm gives that effect better than 10mm.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

Hi Alarich, welcome to the Forum!

There are some very nice pictures of a Prussian SYW army here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2451.0 and also a Painting Diary for some others here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=709.0

Thanks also for your order, we will get that cast up and sent out to you asap.  The Worean order is now complete and will be on it's way on Monday I think.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

Welcome Alarich  :)

10mm will give you a better canvas on which to paint - particularly if you enjoy painting; as you can see from Leon's link, Clib's army is a masterpiece & there are plenty of other lovely pictures here too.

You can see mine in action here:

Small action: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3247.0
Larger battle: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1690.0

I don't use a pseudonym BTW  :D

Hertsblue

Hi Alarich.

10mm is probably the ideal compromise. Small enough to own hordes of the things (where have I heard that before?) but large enough to distinguish facings and important details.

As for the use of pseudonyms, I think originally it was because you never quite know who's reading your posts and trying to track you down. Paranoia mainly, I suspect.  =)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Welcome old chap,
Interesting thoughts about the hobby.
Mad Lemmey is a name I actually respond to in real life too!
Regards
Will
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Welcome from me too Alarich.

From my point of view 'Techno' is just a very shortened version of  nickname I was given YEARS ago !  ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Nico

Welcome on board - herzlich Willkommen :)

cheers, Nico

Alarich

Hello community.

First of all thanks for the warm welcome.

After opening a cupboard, where I use to storage the "prehistoric" of my hobby-activities, I just recognised, that I missed in my hobby-vita an episode of my "hobby-career":
I renewed my 30mm-flat-figure-phase (2. punic war) with some 15mm-figures from Essex. Just two other armies, until my retailer vanished...
Some of you might remember the times long, long ago, where you had to write an order an deliver it by mail (defenitely not e-mail), and wait, what would happen...

But retourning to modern times:

And first of all, I have to apologize, that I "r*pe" this Pendraken-10mm-forum (!!!) for news about 6mm-figures, but my excuse is: The very small guys are available for me, the "one-and-only-true-scale-troops" are still on the march.

Up to now, I have painted some minis, which would form in my strange mind, an infantry batallion.

As I said before, I don't care much about "official" basing schemes. The 6mm-fraction seems to try to install a standard of 6x3cm base.
They suggest, that two of this stands should represent a bataillon... If I were ever to recreate a complete historic battle, this might be well to handle.
But I'm in the stage, that I want some more figures to represent a batallion (otherwise I could collect 28mm giants), so I heard a voice from above, which enlightend me with the tought, that I have to use 4x3cm bases per company (for the austrians:per division, which is another name for their "company"), this gives me the opportunity, to add a bit more of depth.
My plan is, to base with 2 rows a 8 figures and put an nco with spontoon in the back. Of course the "command stand" with flags/drummers has to receive a special treatment.

So now I'm awaiting the impact of my ordered bases, so I can finish the first batallion.

And I'm quite shure: for cavalry, just one row of riders will look pretty poor... I'm very fond of basing them in two rows.

What this toughts of mine will produce for 10mm-figures, I'm not quite shure. Maybe I will put them on the recommended 6mm-6x3cm-bases. But I have to await their arrival.

Of course I have checked the forum for quite a while (instead of painting legions of uruk-hai), and admired not at least the armies of nikharwood and others...

So Nikharwood, as you seem to be an expert in 7YW: If I were ever to order some austrian flags for 7YW: where are they hidden: in the obscure "Imperialist" range of Malburian/7YW flags?

And Mad lemmey: what's so interesting about my thoughts about the hobby?

And please, don't ask me about pictures...
First of all, I would have to buy a camera (easy)
Then I'd have to care about light (nearly as easy as buying a camera)
And worst of all, I'd have to investigate, how this pictures will be understood by this strange thing, I'm sitting in front of (called "computer").
And not the least, I would be ashamed, to produce my poor efforts to the community.
If there is no official Pendraken "Blockwart" looking over your shoulder, then try a glimpse at the Baccus-forum and admire the guy called "the bearded snot"... and keep in mind, that his figures are as microscopic, as a normal ant!!!

So until the Pendraken's arrive, I might paint a cavalry regiment...

With kind regards,

Alarich

nikharwood

QuoteSo Nikharwood, as you seem to be an expert in 7YW: If I were ever to order some austrian flags for 7YW: where are they hidden: in the obscure "Imperialist" range of Malburian/7YW flags?

Ah - no, absolutely no 7YW expert whatsoever....but there are others here that are [I'm sure they'll be along in a minute - or, if not, bung your question in the Historical section!]

Arsenus

The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/